Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
LS1Hawk

AC question

The AC in my Firehawk stopped working. I took it to my mechanic thinking it just needed a recharge. Turns out there's a leak in the compressor and it's going to have to be replaced. I know when a compressor goes on any car it's a big job. He quoted me at $950 for the work. Does that sound about right for an LS1? I know costs vary from place to place, but I just want to know if it's worth looking around for a better price or if this is a pretty fair deal.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
SamhainZ28

How much is the part? Because that seems a little high to me. In my shop that would probably be a $250 job. I just looked in my chiltons labor guide and its only an hour and a half labor charge. Your mechanic is trying to take advantage I believe.
SamhainZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
LS1Hawk

I don't know what the price for the part is...I probably should have asked. But when I heard $950 I just said yeah, I can't do that right now. He told me that when the compressor goes there are other parts that need to be replaced with it. Does that sound right?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
SamhainZ28

If the compressor is just leaking you can get away with just changing it. If it blew up and there is black death in the whole system, you could be looking at a flush job and a new dryer and expansion valve.
SamhainZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

It's always smart to replace the drier and orafice tube when you open the system. $950 still seems steep unless he is replacing the condensor too. They get crudded up when compressors implode sometimes

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
LS1Hawk

Well it looks like I should seek a second opinion on this. I was thinking I'd take it to Hawthorne Chevy and see what they price it at. But if anyone can recommend a good shop in the Oakland area let me know.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
creeper

I've been tinkering with my AC lately, I swapped everything from the firewall forward completely in about an hour and a half in my driveway and that was including dropping the swaybar, if it was a stock swaybar I might have been able to wiggle it out without having to. I don't know how much labor he's charging you but prices (from rock auto) are:

compressor $220ish (new, don't go remanufactured)
drier/accumulator $35ish
condenser $100ish
orifice tube $0.97ish

then vacuum/oil/charge etc is around $100-150

so even if he is replacing everything (even if it's not entirely necessary) it still sounds like he's charging you way too much for either the parts or the labor. if there's debris you will need to replace the condenser since you really can't flush them properly, but if it's just a seal it shouldn't need to be.

what color is your firehawk? I'm right in franklin lakes

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
LS1Hawk

Wow, that's ridiculous. He told me it would be $100 less if I went with a re-manufactured comp (wouldn't go for it). I wish I knew how to do it myself then I would just order the parts since they're not that expensive.

My Firehawk is red, has t-tops. Seen it?

Last edited by LS1Hawk; 07-25-2011 at 07:18 PM.
LS1Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
creeper

I would definitely offer to help you do it since you're right in oakland, but I wouldn't want to risk messing anything up on your car. A compressor swap is pretty easy with basic hand tools, and since yours didn't completely explode and send shrapnel into everything it shouldn't be much more work than that, the dryer and orifice tube take 2 minutes to do.

I didn't flush my system well enough after a complete compressor failure, combined with the fact that I turned on the system with no oil in it (shop said turn it on, I thought they were just checking for leaks or something because I did mention I drained all the oil to eliminate guesswork) and soon after it started making awful noises. we added oil but it only survived 2 days after that. I'll be flushing the evaporator as well as I can and installing a whole new system from the firewall forward next week if you want to stop by and see how it all comes apart and goes back together.

I've definitely seen a red firehawk around a few times, I live right on the border of oakland/franklin lakes by the Delta station, my car is navy blue and has had a satin black ws6 hood on it for a few weeks now

|2000 Trans Am|T56 swap|Bolt Ons| Suspension|
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
LS1Hawk

Don't think I've seen your car around. But I'm about 5 mins from you. PM me your details and perhaps I can stop by when you're working on it.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

You guys have seen each other at Wyckoff
Keith's car is always out, whereas John's stays in the garage surrounded by trophies

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
LS1Hawk

Oh, do I detect a bit of jealously? I don't remember meeting Keith or seeing his car but I guess it's possible. Still haven't been to Wyckoff this year...

Last edited by LS1Hawk; 07-26-2011 at 01:35 PM.
LS1Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Me neither. We should coordinate something. There are a few of us *Very* close to each other and most don't even know it.

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
maroman88
12 Second Club

im in the area too! lol

good luck with the AC, ive been thru my vettes with luck and my trucks with no luck so far this season
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech