Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 09-07-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
JPiZZiJP

Ok clutch finally going :(... Who wants to make some $$$?

Okay, so the clutch in my 95 Z28 is going...
(and no Bill, it's not from what I did this weekend at the BBQ...)

It's slipped on occasion in 6th gear, but now it slips if I'm on the gas too hard in 5th or 6th gear now, so it's time

Ayone have any recommendations as to what I should get? Keep in mind, I like the car more for show than hardcore performance, so I would prefer something more price-conscientious rather than performance.

Any suggestions?

As well.. anyone wanna earn some $$ replacing the clutch for me too? Lowest bidder on here gets the business :P

I need to do this ASAP, considering how many miles I drive.

Hopefully getting a motorcycle will curtail some of those miles.

~Joe
JPiZZiJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:00 PM   #2
ArCoLoG2

From what I hear, SPEC clutches are the way to go, have heard that for 3 years...If your not worried about performance and don't plan on having 500rwhp in the near future, go with one of their lighter ones, stage 1 or stage 2...

I'll do the clutch job for 50 bucks
Never done one though, so I'll know what not to do when I go to do mine!!

Dave
Strano Springs, Koni SA's
BMR: Q Arm relocation, Adj. Q Arm, boxed LCA, Adj. PHR.
Chrome C6Z06 DeepDish with Nitto NT05's
Future Mods: Dana S60, Tubular K-member/A-arms blah blah blah.
ArCoLoG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

Re: Okay... clutch... finally going :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPiZZiJP

It's slipped on occasion in 6th gear, but now it slips if I'm on the gas too hard in 5th or 6th gear now, so it's time

Ayone have any recommendations as to what I should get? Keep in mind, I like the car more for show than hardcore performance, so I would prefer something more price-conscientious rather than performance.

Any suggestions?

As well.. anyone wanna earn some $$ replacing the clutch for me too? Lowest bidder on here gets the business :P

~Joe
dude you abused the crap outta that clutch several times...little g will tell you the same thing you beat it u pay the price...spec III is about as good as it gets from what i hear...talk to 1rawta he works at ttp maybe he can get you a good deal.

lata
Bill
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 05:12 PM   #4
JPiZZiJP

Re: Okay... clutch... finally going :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by foff667
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPiZZiJP

Any suggestions?

~Joe
dude you abused the crap outta that clutch several times...little g will tell you the same thing you beat it u pay the price...spec III is about as good as it gets from what i hear...talk to 1rawta he works at ttp maybe he can get you a good deal.

lata
Bill
Bill, I know what I did helped burn out the clutch along, but it's been going for awhile now. I just "put the icing on the cake" if you know what I mean. Basically I finished off what was left of it this weekend, which was not much anyway to begin with. I was going to need a clutch soon anyway... with 77,000 mi... I think the clutch has done it's job.
JPiZZiJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:20 PM   #5
j0n

go spec stage 1 or 2...and if u get adventurous and try 2 do it urself im down for throwing w/e help i can ur way
Old 09-07-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
The Fixer

Replacing the clutch isn't that bad of a job, but it can be time consuming. You should have the flywheel resurfaced, so that might lay your car up a day if you have to wait for a machine shop to do it.

Start by removing the driveshaft and torque arm bolts, then disconnect any electrical connections on the trans. Next, remove the trans-to-bellhousing bolts and crossmember, then pull that heavy-ass T56 out. You might need to disconnect the slave first, then take out the 6 bellhousing bolts and remove it so you have access to the clutch. I'm not sure how the hydraulic system works, since I'm using old-school mechanical linkage with my T5. I'd have to peek underneath and see for myself. Anyway, after the bell is off, you can remove the old clutch disc and pressure plate, then take the flywheel off to be resurfaced.

Installation is the reverse of this process. Not too bad really, I've done it a few times on the Monte already.

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
V
Stalker

Changing the ls1 clutch is easy, i found out myself at 10k miles, stock one failed(splines spun inside the disc itself).

the hydaulics have a quick disconnect fitting, slide the coller back where the line does into the bellhousing and it comes off, a check valve keeps the fluid in and air out, so no need for bleeding the clutch, I did mine myself and it was fine.

With most clutch kits for the LS1, they come with a new flywheel, just wipe it down with brake cleaner to get the protective coating off first.

...speaking of t5's and montes...i did the t5 swap into my monte and i had to be cool and go hydraulic...more trouble than it was worth, but i got it just about buttoned up all. I just gotta bolt the slave to the bellhousing and weld a mount to the farbicated clutch pedal for the rod to the clutch master... Tomorrow i'm attaching the inner fenders and rad support...should be ready to fire up this weekend...

edit: i just noticed it was for an lt1...not an ls1...i'm not sure about the hydraulics there.... i try to help lol
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:04 AM   #8
1RawTA

id go with the spec stage 3... for 400 bucks shipped to your door there is no beating it. We can do your clutch install for you at TTP, but if ur car isnt an 01 or 02 your going to need to upgrade your hydrolics as well.. shoot me a PM if u are intrested in getting a clutch from us..

-steve-

EDIT: i just saw your car was a LT1, im not sure about the hydrolics but i know the clutches are more expensive, they are in the mid 500 dollor range, we just did a clutch on a lt1 at the shop, it was a bit different then the ls1 but not to bad.... if u have any questions give matt a call at the shop 973-340-4069
WWW.TTPERFORMANCE.NET
1RawTA is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech