Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

12 Bolt Axle Seal

Can it cause play in the axle? My driver's side axle seal is leaking, but there is also so much more play if I move the axle back and forth than the other side. I understand I'm supposed to check for scoring of the axle, but is this normal also?

Axle is a Moser 12 bolt with 3:73s and a TrueTrac.

Thanks.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

a seal cannot cause play. the bearing may be bad

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
a seal cannot cause play. the bearing may be bad
I agree. A seal wouldn't do that.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Thanks guys. I'll call Moser tomorrow and get the parts needed. Sounds like I'll need a new axle too. There was a ton of play in that thing. Maybe 5 times more than the passenger side.

I am at wits end with this thing. I have had a ton of problems with this axle.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
The_Bishop
Power Member

Play up and down or in and out?
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
Play up and down or in and out?
Play up and down.

I popped open the cover but ran out of daylight before I can get the axle unbolted. Everything looked fine when I popped her open. Hopefully I'll have the axle out this weekend to inspect it. Thanks for the help, guys.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
B4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
Thanks guys. I'll call Moser tomorrow and get the parts needed. Sounds like I'll need a new axle too. There was a ton of play in that thing. Maybe 5 times more than the passenger side.

FYI you can get the bearings at napa, there are two different ones, the only difference is the lock ring size, makesure you get the one with the shorter lock ring. The larger lock ring will hit the housing and cause everything to bind.
The part number with the correct lock ring is BRG 88128R, from napa.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...28R_0297815463

Last edited by B4C; 09-25-2013 at 10:59 PM.
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4C View Post
FYI you can get the bearings at napa, there are two different ones, the only difference is the lock ring size, makesure you get the one with the shorter lock ring. The larger lock ring will hit the housing and cause everything to bind.
The part number with the correct lock ring is BRG 88128R, from napa.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...28R_0297815463
Thanks, this was a huge help. I'm going to order it at my local napa tomorrow. It seems like it comes with the seal as well, which is really great. I'm really hoping I didn't score the axle. Looking online, Moser axles are an arm and a leg.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
B4C

Quote:
Thanks, this was a huge help. I'm going to order it at my local napa tomorrow. It seems like it comes with the seal as well, which is really great. I'm really hoping I didn't score the axle. Looking online, Moser axles are an arm and a leg.
Does not come with a seal, that is the lock ring for the axle. I ordered thru moser thinking I would get the correct bearings, installed them and they didnt fit because of the lock ring. When I called I was told I didnt specify and I told them that I didnt know there was a difference, then had to buy new bearings with the correct lock rings. The seal I had to get napa to order once I got the part number from moser. I had to get one axle for my 12 bolt I think it was $150.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Does not come with a seal, that is the lock ring for the axle. I ordered thru moser thinking I would get the correct bearings, installed them and they didnt fit because of the lock ring. When I called I was told I didnt specify and I told them that I didnt know there was a difference, then had to buy new bearings with the correct lock rings. The seal I had to get napa to order once I got the part number from moser. I had to get one axle for my 12 bolt I think it was $150.
That's frustrating. Thanks for posting up with the correct part and saving me the frustration. I ordered the part from a Napa that has a press to install them for me as well.

I found my initial order sheet for my Moser and it has the axle seal part number. Are you saying that if I give it to Napa, they'll be able to source me the correct part number for a Napa seal?

Just found this from searching: National 473229 Oil Seal

Last edited by qwikz28; 09-27-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
B4C

Quote:
That's frustrating. Thanks for posting up with the correct part and saving me the frustration. I ordered the part from a Napa that has a press to install them for me as well.

I found my initial order sheet for my Moser and it has the axle seal part number. Are you saying that if I give it to Napa, they'll be able to source me the correct part number for a Napa seal?

Just found this from searching: National 473229 Oil Seal
Napa did not have the seal on hand they ordered it from national for me. Took a day or two. Also, your moser bearings are going to have an o-ring on them where the napa bearings do not, put a bead of black rtv around the bearing. Moser will say if you are running the seal that you do not need to do this, dont listen to them you do. I spent alot of time and frustration dealing with moser on something as simple as a bearing, about 3 months. Mainly the reason I decided not to go with them for my 9in and went with quick performance instead, quicks customer service has been much much better so far.

Last edited by B4C; 09-27-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
B4C

Quote:
Exactly why I got rid of mine, and moser's customer service sucked.

Quote:
Play up and down.

I popped open the cover but ran out of daylight before I can get the axle unbolted. Everything looked fine when I popped her open. Hopefully I'll have the axle out this weekend to inspect it. Thanks for the help, guys.
No need to open the cover, they have no c-clips, remove the brakes and then remove the 4 bolts holding the backing plate on then pry the axle out. When re-assembling apply red locktite to the backing plate bolts.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Thanks so much for all the advice man. It's a huge help. I needed to pop off the cover anyway to put a new gasket on there, but I was about to start unbolting stuff. I keep forgetting it just slides in. You are saying to put black RTV on the actual bearing? Wouldn't that cause it so seize and not spin?

I never heard of the quicktime rear end but I just checked it out. Looks like a pretty neat setup. I've been wanting to switch to a Midwest Fab 9 inch, but they cost a pretty penny. I really hate that the Moser 12 bolt is so troublesome. The rear spring seats on the Moser are higher than stock as well. I'd love to sell this 12 bolt and get something else one day.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
B4C

put black rtv on the outside of the bearing race, you'll see the o-ring on the original bearing just replicate that with rtv. Happy to help, especially if I can help u avoid moser's customer service department lol. I couldn't tell you how many times I had to take that thing apart because they sent me the wrong parts or misinformation. If you havnt gotten a gasket yet check out lube locker gaskets.

Last edited by B4C; 09-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
put black rtv on the outside of the bearing race, you'll see the o-ring on the original bearing just replicate that with rtv. Happy to help, especially if I can help u avoid moser's customer service department lol. I couldn't tell you how many times I had to take that thing apart because they sent me the wrong parts or misinformation. If you havnt gotten a gasket yet check out lube locker gaskets.
Gotcha, that makes sense.

I just ordered a gasket from Mr. Gasket, but if you recommend the Lube Locker gasket, I'd return the Mr. Gasket. I can't find the Lube Locker for the 12 bolt, though. Looks like a solid piece, though.

Thanks again for your help. I need to pull the backing plates off the car, and realized I needed to pull the axles anyway. Amazing how things work out, eh? Doubled my order for the Napa bearings and this Moser is going to be like brand new. Hoping for a few more trouble free years.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
B4C

Quote:
Gotcha, that makes sense.

I just ordered a gasket from Mr. Gasket, but if you recommend the Lube Locker gasket, I'd return the Mr. Gasket. I can't find the Lube Locker for the 12 bolt, though. Looks like a solid piece, though.

Thanks again for your help. I need to pull the backing plates off the car, and realized I needed to pull the axles anyway. Amazing how things work out, eh? Doubled my order for the Napa bearings and this Moser is going to be like brand new. Hoping for a few more trouble free years.
Looks like they dont make it for the 12 bolt, which sucks, they are awesome.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Looks like they dont make it for the 12 bolt, which sucks, they are awesome.
The design looks great. Rubber with ridges, similar to the type of gasket you see on the PCM or the intake runners.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Pulled the axles today and they look great. Just need to press the old bearings and put the new ones on. Napa in Saddle Brook is doing it for me.

FYI- I don't have a slide hammer so removing the axles was tough. Since I have extended studs, I threaded the lug nuts on a few threads with a old wheel on the studs. Pulled the wheel towards me to use as a slide hammer and it came off with no fuss at all. Just wanted to share my first stroke of genius.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
B4C

Quote:
Pulled the axles today and they look great. Just need to press the old bearings and put the new ones on. Napa in Saddle Brook is doing it for me.

FYI- I don't have a slide hammer so removing the axles was tough. Since I have extended studs, I threaded the lug nuts on a few threads with a old wheel on the studs. Pulled the wheel towards me to use as a slide hammer and it came off with no fuss at all. Just wanted to share my first stroke of genius.
They have to cut those bearings off.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
They have to cut those bearings off.
Perhaps I'll look into doing that then.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
The_Bishop
Power Member

You need to be very, very careful doing so; you don't want to groove the axle.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
You need to be very, very careful doing so; you don't want to groove the axle.
Nevermind, then. Careful isn't something I'm good at. I'll see if Napa will do that for me.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
qwikz28

Social Networks:

FYI- I picked up the bearings from Napa today. They were unable to remove the old bearings because the backing plates we're in the way of the press plate. I am worried about cutting the bearing so I'm going to try and find a slide hammer mechanism that is able to remove the bearings before attempting to cut it off.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline