Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #26
Kat
11 Second Club

I've have one in my GTO since Jan and about 10k on it now.. Love the friggin thing. I dont treat it nice at all.

Last edited by Kat; 10-29-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #27
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN View Post
Aside from the "Just go to JS and support the club" crew...
Yup, that's exactly what they were saying Maybe the guy has a good product that has been through the ringer at the track. Damn them for recommending a solid product from a site sponsor...BASTARDS! Get over it, we all know you're up Monster's ass....we know you like their clutches. They seem to work well. A few members decided to recommend an alternative product since Monster was/has been having quality control issues(which the numbers are larger than what you quoted).

The only drawback is that he installs them himself and that's it...but I don't blame him. Every Tom, Dick and Harry think they're expert mechanics, I sure as hell wouldn't warranty my product if someone screwed up an install and wasted my time on the phone trying to figure it out. It sucks that he loses business that way but it is what it is.

There's nothing wrong with either product as far as abuse. Every company has issues at times but don't discount someone's product if you have no first hand experience with it.

EDIT: This isn't an attack on your or anything nor am I trying to start ****, just an opinion an observation. It seems like the second his clutches are mention you have a negative attitude or you try to steer people away from them. It's just odd.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)

Last edited by Frosty; 10-29-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #28
Mike
BadMod

maybe if monster only let dealers install the clutches, they would know exactly how many have problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:24 AM   #29
bobbyn362

every one on here knows js sells a great product. and i can understand him not wanting to sell to the public. And regardless of how many clutches monster sold that were defective, overall most people that have them installed and working properly love them. its time for everyone to start looking at volume of sales verse defective products. someone said 28 is what monster admitted to. 0k lets say that under stated and it was 50. they started selling to the public in summer 2008 i think. how many clutches do you think they have sold? i bet its a lot. every clutch company has good and bad reviews. Except J.S. and i bet josh himself has destroyed one of his own clutches at some point in his career. NO OFFENSE TO ANY ONE BUT YOUR TAKING NATIONAL NUMBERS AND TRYING TO TURN IT INTO A LOCAL BATTLE.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #30
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyn362 View Post
every one on here knows js sells a great product. and i can understand him not wanting to sell to the public. And regardless of how many clutches monster sold that were defective, overall most people that have them installed and working properly love them. its time for everyone to start looking at volume of sales verse defective products. someone said 28 is what monster admitted to. 0k lets say that under stated and it was 50. they started selling to the public in summer 2008 i think. how many clutches do you think they have sold? i bet its a lot. every clutch company has good and bad reviews. Except J.S. and i bet josh himself has destroyed one of his own clutches at some point in his career. NO OFFENSE TO ANY ONE BUT YOUR TAKING NATIONAL NUMBERS AND TRYING TO TURN IT INTO A LOCAL BATTLE.
I believe the number is around 2000.

Regardless of how I feel about LS1 clutches, I'd be wary of buying from a company that has only been selling their product for a little over a year.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #31
bobbyn362

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I believe the number is around 2000.

Regardless of how I feel about LS1 clutches, I'd be wary of buying from a company that has only been selling their product for a little over a year.
i can agree with that. but every company needs to start from somewhere. if they sold 2000 units and had 50 failures thats only 2 1/2 percent. and a 2 1/2 percent clutch failure with ls1's i personally think is pretty good. maybe we should try and find the failure rates of spec's or center force on ls1's i am willing to bet it will be a lot higher than that. then maybe we will have a reasonable comparison. people trying to compare J.S. to monster is like comparing a rail car to a street car. street cars are mass produced. a rail is built by a handfull of people. monster sells a product and lets the purchaser worry about the install. so their name is riding on the backs of every person who had a monster clutch installed. which adds a tone of variables. J.S. makes and installs his. which removes most of the variables. so he will always have a superior clutch because his expertise is what makes his clutch great
Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #32
JW

I honestly don't see what this long discussions is all about. If you like the Monster Clutch and want to install it yourself, then it seems like a no brainer. I have read a lot of great things about them. I also read the recent failure issues but am very impressed with the fact that they are willing to send out all new ones and back their product on a very large public forum.(though I am curious to hear j0n's issue since he is a friend, maybe I will message him and find out.)

Now all that said, I am not a tranny guy and don't want to think about tearing mine apart. So with my lack of knowledge and trust in myself in that department, I will probably go to JS for one of his clutches and his exp with these setups.

Either way, it's your choice and I am happy for you no matter what option you choose. Good luck, and let us know how the new clutch works out for you!

JW
Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #33
bobbyn362

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
I honestly don't see what this long discussions is all about. If you like the Monster Clutch and want to install it yourself, then it seems like a no brainer. I have read a lot of great things about them. I also read the recent failure issues but am very impressed with the fact that they are willing to send out all new ones and back their product on a very large public forum.(though I am curious to hear j0n's issue since he is a friend, maybe I will message him and find out.)

Now all that said, I am not a tranny guy and don't want to think about tearing mine apart. So with my lack of knowledge and trust in myself in that department, I will probably go to JS for one of his clutches and his exp with these setups.

Either way, it's your choice and I am happy for you no matter what option you choose. Good luck, and let us know how the new clutch works out for you!

JW
well when talk to jon get him to post his problem. im ordering it sunday when the sale starts but the car wont be back on the road till march. Like i said before, if i was gonna pay to get it done it J.S. would def be my choice.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #34
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

I appreciate everyones positive testimonials..
Every one of our clutches are built to order to the specs provided by the customer and their own preferences. While we may not actually forge the parts here we combine the best products from national manufacturers such as Valeo, Fiber Tuff, Exedy, Sachs, Eaton, and Daikin (just to name a few) to provide our customers with what we feel is the best quailty end product for the money. We may not always be cheapest but I try to keep my prices in the ball park and afforfable. We have based our set ups on years of street, drag and road racing abuse. I have blown up, used and abused plenty of other manufacturers clutches over the years and I feel the product we are putting out is superior in quality to anything available in the mass market..

As far as the "installed only" clause goes there are multiple reasons for this..
1- There are many variables in clutch set up such as bell alignment, release throw, and proper torquing.
2- Initial break in (first 10-15 minutes) is absolutely crucial to the operation and longevity of a clutch. Doing it here allows us to assure it is done properly..
3- Installing it here assures that someone with a 400hp car dosent order himself a clutch for a 600hp car and then complains once it is installed that it "dosent feel right"
4- Proper flywheel surface.. Most of our clutches do not require a new flywheel, if yours is in good shape we can resurface it properly and put it back into service for $55-$65 rather than replacing it for triple that (or more).
5- Lack of a "tech line". We are a smal business, I don't have a secretary and I definately dont have a staff of tech reps to answer install questions. I can't afford to spend 3 hours on the phone explaining proper clutch installation and operation to someone that has never done it before.

What it boils down to is that we are a small shop and come backs and wasted time are espically costly for a place like us so anything I can do to avoid complications keeps us going..

Another added benefit is that when you get your clutch here you are guaranteed to have a perfectly working clutch when you pick your car up.. After all, I am human and I do make mistakes (rare but it could happen). If there is something wrong when I install the clutch here it gets fixed before the car leaves.. You dont have to worry about wasting a weekend installing your new clutch to find out you have to do it all again because of a mistake (on your part or mine).

This is how I choose to provide this particular product, if you feel that a quality clutch built to YOUR specs and installed by a professional with years of experience in custom cars and racing is what you want then JS Performance is definately your shop. If you prefer to have a "off the shelf" clutch and install it yourself then one of the aftermarket clutch manufacturers are definately your best route.. I am sure Hanlon Motorsports or one of the clubs other sponsors can get you a great deal...

Thanks,
Josh
JS Performance
Old 10-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #35
NJ346
11 Second Club / I <3 LT1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

EDIT: This isn't an attack on your or anything nor am I trying to start ****, just an opinion an observation. It seems like the second his clutches are mention you have a negative attitude or you try to steer people away from them. It's just odd.
No hard feelings here. This is a public forum and people are allowed to express their opinions.

I think the OP feels a lot like I did when I was searching for a clutch, so of coarse I will voice my opinion.

00 SS A4- LQ9/LS3/Stalled/3.42s 1.48/11.10/121 mph<-6spd swap in progress.
13 Silverado Z71- Sold 11/16
99 Z28 M6- -H/C/9in - sold 1/13
99 Silverado Z71- The DD - Sold 7/13
03 CBR 600RR - Sold 8/13
NJ346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #36
firebirdcrazy
13 Second Club

This is one very informative thread that stayed professional since I am in the market myself for a new clutch and actually a rebuild for my T56. 133,000 miles on it though its still running fine it has taken its toll on my T56 and the constant hydraulic problems is becoming tiresome. The clutch pedal keeps getting sucked down at high speeds. Its the only problem I have always had with this car since it was new. Josh you do same day jobs? The only problem I have is actually getting to you to leave the car lol. No ride back lol
http://www.fquick.com/firebirdcrazy
firebirdcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #37
bobbyn362

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdcrazy View Post
This is one very informative thread that stayed professional since I am in the market myself for a new clutch and actually a rebuild for my T56. 133,000 miles on it though its still running fine it has taken its toll on my T56 and the constant hydraulic problems is becoming tiresome. The clutch pedal keeps getting sucked down at high speeds. Its the only problem I have always had with this car since it was new. Josh you do same day jobs? The only problem I have is actually getting to you to leave the car lol. No ride back lol
thats what happened to mine on most of my track passes.doesnt really help my e.t. i ordered my monster today
Old 11-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #38
NJ346
11 Second Club / I <3 LT1s

I'm installing a new monster and slave in my car today while the motor is out

00 SS A4- LQ9/LS3/Stalled/3.42s 1.48/11.10/121 mph<-6spd swap in progress.
13 Silverado Z71- Sold 11/16
99 Z28 M6- -H/C/9in - sold 1/13
99 Silverado Z71- The DD - Sold 7/13
03 CBR 600RR - Sold 8/13
NJ346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #39
JSPERFORMANCE

Social Networks:

Quote:
On average a clutch will take 1-2 days to do. Also, if you want to rebuild your trans it will take considerably longer..
Old 11-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #40
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Actually I had the same problem. The camaro at the time was my daily and I was then commuting to Rutgers. I ended up driving down to JS Performance with my bike in my trunk, leaving the car there, and riding my bike over to the train station. I had to transfer a few times but I ultimately got back to Rutgers (where my lady friend gave me rides to and from school until my car was completed). I reversed the process to get back. That was when my rear end was acting up.

About a month later, my clutch went (good time to get the trans rebuilt right?). This time, closer to finals, Tim (NJSpeeder) gave me a ride from Hamilton train station, over the river to JS, and vice versa when the car was ready. This saved me a couple hours of my day as the train ride was only 20 minutes or so and the ride to JS was about 15 from there. It didn't take nearly as long as Josh claimed it would. If I recall correctly, my car was finished in less than a week.

This may sound burdensome, but when you find a good shop, you stick with him. I've had a few bad experiences with other shops and even now that I'm no longer at Rutgers, I still plan on having him fix my car when it goes wrong. Maybe a taxi cab or you know a friend down there? I've had a bad experience with an off-the-shelf clutch and am very very happy with my JS clutch. I usually offer anyone who asks about it to drive the car and see.
qwikz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #41
JSPERFORMANCE

Social Networks:

Thanks Jake, while I can not expect everyone to travel as far or go through what you do to get your car here I appreciate your patronage very much. I always try to make sure my customers get a fair shake and it is good to see it when someone appreciates our services.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #42
chknhwk01
What?

Talking It,s all good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERFORMANCE View Post
Thanks Jake, while I can not expect everyone to travel as far or go through what you do to get your car here I appreciate your patronage very much. I always try to make sure my customers get a fair shake and it is good to see it when someone appreciates our services.
I, BIN WITH ''JOSH;; FOR A FEW YEARSS, HE DID A LOT OF WORK,
ON MY CHKNHWK... WS6 T/A.. HIS WORK IS ''GREATTT''
AND I KNEW MY CAR WAS IN GOOD ''HANDSS'' I WAS VERY HAPPY;
WITH J/S PERFORMACE,, WENT I FOUND HIM// JOSH.. PEACE OF MINE..
THE MAN THAT DOZZ IT ALLLLLLL....
chknhwk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #43
JSPERFORMANCE

Social Networks:

Thanks Joe, you know its always a pleasure hanging with the CHKNHWK!!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #44
DaSkinnyGuy

I love my monster stage 2 clutch.
2000 Pewter Trans am, M6, SLP Lid,LS6 intake,Kooks 1 7/8" Long tube header,Classic Chambered Powersticks, hurst,off road X-pipe, Strano springs & Koni's, Monster level 2 clutch, HPtuners wide band tuned and a homemade ram air box sealed off.
DaSkinnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #45
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

i have about 10k miles on my spec stage 2 clutch, installed it myself... had over a dozen passes at the strip... no issues
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #46
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

How much HP are you making? I know you said bang for the buck, but have you looked at the Textrali "Ausie" clutch? alllot of the guy I know which modded engines that race like this clutch allot.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #47
JerzLT1

i have ditched the T56 since this thread and when it was pulled out the JSPerformance clutch looked brand new (you can ask anyone, im not nice to my cars) the new owner was happy with its condition, im not sure if he got it installed yet

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline