Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

Trans Line Fittings

About a month ago I had the lines to my trans cooler blow off while driving. They were just rubber line pushed and hose clamped over the metal lines. Since then Ive had a persistent leak where the rubber lines connect to the metal lines.

I flushed the cooler so its not a back pressure problem. I bought all the fittings necessary to replace the metal lines all together but I cant reach the fittings on the trans to replace without dropping it. I then tried these 5/16 compression fittings, and they still leaked. I measured the trans lines with calipers and get a consistent 0.315" diameter.

I just installed a transgo HD2 shift kit and replaced all the valves, gaskets. everything looked to be in good shape when replacing so I doubt its an internal problem.

Im currently running high pressure lines hose clamped to metal lines again. Anyone have a solution other than dropping the trans to replace the metal lines?
KirkEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Hum,

Can you just drop the trans mount and tilt the engine/trans enough to get to the fittings witha crowfoot wrench?
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

It would still be tight to try and tilt it. There are 2 fittings to replace coming off the trans to adapt to hose lines, and they both need to be 90*, which really cuts down on the room to work.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
_twisted_

I have them on my 700r4 in the 86 vette.
I went braided to the cooler and rad and the return.

I'll have to do some digging as I cant remember the the sizes.
You can get the fittings from the speed shop at Atco just talk to Bud during the day, that is where I got mine from.
For about a hundred you can get the fittings for the trans and rad plus the -6an hose to do the whole job.
90 Corvette ZF6
90 ZR-1 SOLD
93 Corvette LT1 Auto
Check out my photo gallery
My Facebook
_twisted_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Yeah, braided might be a good solution.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

definitely a good idea, i have a link from ls1tech at work about it. i'll try to get it up.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Tech...r_fittings.asp

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/automa...ngs-4l60e.html
Old 01-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Did you cut your lines? what was wrong with the factory lines?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Did you cut your lines? what was wrong with the factory lines?
yeah he did, aftermarket cooler on there
Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Ok. Why replace the metal lines back to the trans? Flare them, add screw on barb fittings and you're good. No? Works great on my PS line. I've done it before on trans lines.

I had to use the adapter in the middle because the hardware store did not have a barb fitting with a female end.

Or flare them and couple in new metal lines if you want. Fab them up.

I'm actually surprised the comp fitting did not work. Maybe the line line was tweaked or something. Did you order that kit? You need to find the local hardware store, they carry all that stuff, probably cheaper.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Problem is why you have so much pressure in your lines... I wouldn't want to be forcing that pressure to blow out somewhere else once you lock down the lines...
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I don't understand. Lock the lines down? His initial problem stems from trying to use a hose on an unbarbed line, if I read it right. Flare the line, add a barb fitting, clamp it and go. I've seen it done many times. You have to use FI hose that handles pressure. Or you can flare the lines and set it up for whatever fancy lines you'd like. My point is there is an option to replacing the whole hard line.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I don't understand. Lock the lines down? His initial problem stems from trying to use a hose on an unbarbed line, if I read it right. Flare the line, add a barb fitting, clamp it and go. I've seen it done many times. You have to use FI hose that handles pressure. Or you can flare the lines and set it up for whatever fancy lines you'd like. My point is there is an option to replacing the whole hard line.
Yea, I run my cooler the same way, just rubber lines slipped over metal lines with a hose clamp, wrong I know but mine does not leak, nor do the lines get blown off on entrance ramps....

Kirk, why don't you wait till we drop the trans for the TC and do it then?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I still don't understand "I wouldn't want to be forcing that pressure to blow out somewhere else once you lock down the lines... ". What did you mean? I think I'm misreading something.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
LTb1ow

Well pardon my assumption here... but here goes nothing... on mine, I have no issues whatsoever, whereas on his, his lines don't just leak, they are blown off...

That to me seems like there may be to much pressure, but what do I know.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah and your lines leak matt, remember?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
LTb1ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
yeah and your lines leak matt, remember?
The clamps were loose, and mine are no where near as bad as his. IDK, I am trying to connect apples to oranges I suppose.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

very true. definitely strange that kirks line blew off when he had like 3 worm clamps per line?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #18
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Well pardon my assumption here... but here goes nothing... on mine, I have no issues whatsoever, whereas on his, his lines don't just leak, they are blown off...

That to me seems like there may be to much pressure, but what do I know.
ok, i did not understand what you were trying to say. next time just say "hey, you may have a problem with high line pressure'. that sure helps.

I have seen rubber hoses blow off when clamped like that in otherwise correct conditions. But I agree with you it may not be a bad idea to check line pressure.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
LTb1ow

Just a question for ya Kirk, did you ever take off the hypertech line pressure increase?
Old 01-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #20
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

When the line blew off there was only one hose clamp on it, and up to that point I never had a leak issue. I have not blown off the lines since that day, so I dont think its a pressure problem, and like I said, I checked the cooler. The shift pressure was set back to stock when I got rid of the programmer.

I already bought the fittings and high pressure line to replace the metal lines, so Im waiting for time to do the TC and install the new lines when the trans is out.

Just for reference, here are the fittings and line I bought:
Male -6 AN to Male 3/8 in. NPT

90 Degree, -6 AN Hose Barb to Female -6 AN

Hose, Twist-Tite, Rubber, Blue, -6 AN, 20 ft.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #21
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkEvil View Post
When the line blew off there was only one hose clamp on it, and up to that point I never had a leak issue. I have not blown off the lines since that day, so I dont think its a pressure problem, and like I said, I checked the cooler. The shift pressure was set back to stock when I got rid of the programmer.

I already bought the fittings and high pressure line to replace the metal lines, so Im waiting for time to do the TC and install the new lines when the trans is out.

Just for reference, here are the fittings and line I bought:
Male -6 AN to Male 3/8 in. NPT

90 Degree, -6 AN Hose Barb to Female -6 AN

Hose, Twist-Tite, Rubber, Blue, -6 AN, 20 ft.
That should work great for you. As for it being a pressure issue, not having a barb on the old hard line probably caused the issue. Even very low pressure stuff usually gets one of those.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #22
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
That should work great for you. As for it being a pressure issue, not having a barb on the old hard line probably caused the issue. Even very low pressure stuff usually gets one of those.
Yeah thats what I figured when it blew off. I never really checked those lines so it could have been leaking just enough to lube the hard line and slip off. Now Im paranoid about checking the trans fluid haha.

It made a hell of a mess under the hood. I was going about 40 and the airdam forced a lot of the fluid up into the headers and even onto the hood from the airflow. The entire underbody was coated, and everything that hit exhaust went up it white smoke and crusted onto the exhuast tubing. When it happened I actually thought I blew a head gasket because of the smoke. Luckily I had tools in the trunk, and pulled over really fast in the shoulder of an on ramp when it happened. After it was fixed I had to drive another 20min back home and some guy waived me down saying I was going to blow my motor soon because of all the smoke; I told him its OK, the smoke is normal
Old 02-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #23
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

shoulda just said it had an lt1

the way you just explained it seems to make the most sense though. get some install pics up whenever that goes down!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #24
KirkEvil
10 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
shoulda just said it had an lt1

the way you just explained it seems to make the most sense though. get some install pics up whenever that goes down!
Im not sure when I want to put the stall in...maybe the weekend after superbowl. Want to attempt it again? haha.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #25
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkEvil View Post
Yeah thats what I figured when it blew off. I never really checked those lines so it could have been leaking just enough to lube the hard line and slip off. Now Im paranoid about checking the trans fluid haha.

It made a hell of a mess under the hood. I was going about 40 and the airdam forced a lot of the fluid up into the headers and even onto the hood from the airflow. The entire underbody was coated, and everything that hit exhaust went up it white smoke and crusted onto the exhuast tubing. When it happened I actually thought I blew a head gasket because of the smoke. Luckily I had tools in the trunk, and pulled over really fast in the shoulder of an on ramp when it happened. After it was fixed I had to drive another 20min back home and some guy waived me down saying I was going to blow my motor soon because of all the smoke; I told him its OK, the smoke is normal
Eh, stuff happens to everyone. I plumbed my type 2 power steering conversion with braided lines and high end parts, assuming that the ZOOPS resivoir had the correct fittings already installed in the right holes (both 3/8 NPT). As it was they were backwards- so my PS fluid foamed and sprayed out the weep hole since the diverter wasn't on the right hole. A few rags and some speedy dri later the only thing hurt was my pride.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline