Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 03-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #51
B4C

I know that einhander has the same problem with his car, 96 ws6 a4, and his mechanich said he has play in the output shaft of the trans, check the runout of your output shaft.

Last edited by B4C; 03-06-2010 at 01:36 PM.
B4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #52
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

yeah. id be pissed if that trans i got off ebay a few years back has a bad output shaft as well as the one that came with my car....
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #53
S.J.SLEEPER

if its the tailshaft bushing, its very easily fixable. (remove d.s.,remove tail, punch bushing& seal out, install new ones, reassemble ) tailshaft bushings commonly forgotten about during rebuilds as they normally don't go bad before trans needs rebuild.
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #54
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.J.SLEEPER View Post
if its the tailshaft bushing, its very easily fixable. (remove d.s.,remove tail, punch bushing& seal out, install new ones, reassemble ) tailshaft bushings commonly forgotten about during rebuilds as they normally don't go bad before trans needs rebuild.
I'd buy into this in a heartbeat. I think my T56 needs one, it leaked past a new seal too easy. since you changed drive shaft 3 times that rules out the d/s and ujoints too, and you checked pinion angles. So trans play or rear issues. And this is a very likely and common occurrence.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #55
siguy

did you get a chance to cheack the lower control arms for wear and movement. I would take it out to inspect each one then just stick a pty bar in there to see if it moves around (if they are after market see if you can get a stock set and drop them in to make sure)

The reason why I say this is I had a set of lakewood control arms that the ploy bushing wore out on the body side which produced unwanted movement and vibration plus a "clunk" noise.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #56
ThoR294

No clunk noises during launch or anything. Ill inspect them though. Tuesday is judgement day
Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #57
ThoR294

That is cracked.... thats on the drivers side of the transmission crossmember, you can see the crack right above the bolt. I wonder if that is contributing to my vibration or not. the rest of that piece is stiff though.

I did not get a chance to check my output shaft and axles, no dial indicator hopefully friday
Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #58
Mark42

I would think that a tail shaft vibration would only happen when the bearing is very worn. IE if there is only 5, 8, or 10 thousandths play in the drive shaft right at the tail shaft, with such a small diameter rotating mass, it would be hard to get a vibration strong enough to shake anything. Maybe if there is 30 thousandths run out, but then the tail shaft seal gets stretched out or chewed up and there is a leak.

What I am getting at is no leaking seal usually means the tail shaft bearing is not worn.

And if you can not feel any significan play, IE get a clunking sound by grabbing the yoke with both hands and forcing up/down or side/side then there is probably not enough wear to cause vibration.

Of course, I could be wrong. All complaints/posts to the contrary to the should be sent to President Obama, because he really cares.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects
: Click Here

Last edited by Mark42; 03-11-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Mark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #59
siguy

gezz if you cant figure this out we might have to make a road trip to your house to get to the bottom of this because if this was my car i would have drove it off the clif by know lol lol its bothering me to see what the hell it could be

Last edited by siguy; 03-11-2010 at 12:41 PM.
siguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #60
ThoR294

Quote:
Originally Posted by siguy View Post
gezz if you cant figure this out we might have to make a road trip to your house to get to the bottom of this because if this was my car i would have drove it off the clif by know lol lol its bothering me to see what the hell it could be
do it. its bothering the **** out of me lol.

the tailshaft bushing is leaking a little on the trans... soooo thats bad? :O

I really hope its a tailshaft bushing or something. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO GO FAST

Last edited by ThoR294; 03-11-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #61
siguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR294 View Post
do it. its bothering the **** out of me lol.

the tailshaft bushing is leaking a little on the trans... soooo thats bad? :O

I really hope its a tailshaft bushing or something. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO GO FAST

have you put the is car in the air and run it to see if you can see anything strange (if not jack it up put it on jack stands and take you jack and push up on the center section of the axle and have a friend go through the gears) it will be not the same as if it was loaded with the wieght of the car but, maybe you can get a sense whats giving you the vibe.. and see if somthing is out of wack..)

Last edited by siguy; 03-14-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #62
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Quote:
Like i said the vibration is BAD when the clutch is DISENGAGED (Pedal in).
Well this should rule out the driveshaft, u-joints, rear, wheels, tires, brakes. If you have the vibration with the clutch pushed in then it's engine, trans, crossmember(I would be afraid of that cracked crossmember) or clutch. Since you have already swapped the trans around it could be something got forced. Try swapping the crossmember first since that might be the easiest solution. But if you need to pull the trans again then you might as well pull the clutch and flywheel to have them inspected properly.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #63
ThoR294

the vibration is still there with the car in gear, etc. but it just gets amplified when i put the trans in neutral or i push the clutch pedal in.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #64
S.J.SLEEPER

check transmission to block dowel pin alignment and how is the pilot bearing?
South Jersey Racecraft
S.J.SLEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #65
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

http://csgbenefits.org/camarovibration.pdf

Have a ball. Yes, its for a '69 Camaro but it should still apply in most cases. My vote would be that it's somewhere in the clutch system. Pilot bushing, TO bearing, pressure plate, disc, flywheel.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #66
ThoR294

so the flywheel out of balance could cause this? even though the motor is shut off and the trans is in neutral... the vibration is still present.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #67
siguy

Quote:
so the flywheel out of balance could cause this? even though the motor is shut off and the trans is in neutral... the vibration is still present.

Nope....... theres got to be something else

Last edited by siguy; 03-16-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #68
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

If there is a vibration with trans in neutral and engine shut off while coasting and still a vibration with engine running, car sitting still and clutch pushed in, then you have 2 different problems or your mount/crossmember is looking like the culprit. I find it hard to believe you have 2 different problems and can't identify/isolate 1 of them. Swap that cracked crossmember, that seems to be the common piece right now.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #69
ThoR294

thats not the crossmember, its part of the body. It goes over the transmission, kinda like a tunnel brace or something. There is only 1 vibration. ITS ONLY at 70+MPH. It gets WORSE when I put the clutch in or put the transmission in neutral. anytime under 70 mph the car is smooth

Last edited by ThoR294; 03-16-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #70
98redformula

Based on the information posted, I would say you have a worn transmission bushing and driveshaft yoke which is allowing too much play at the front of the driveshaft. If this is your problem, you should see some wear on your driveshaft yoke, and be able to visibly see yoke movement if you push up on it at the U-Joint. I went through a very similar experience with a vibration that turned out to be a worn bushing. In order to fix this, I needed to replace the bushing and the driveshaft yoke, and then have the driveshaft balanced (after the yoke replacement). Note that you may not see the wear on your yoke as I believe you indicated you swapped your driveshaft during your troubleshooting. If you need more info, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by 98redformula; 03-19-2010 at 11:49 PM.
98redformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #71
ThoR294

So, long story short, I have been chasing a god damn vibration for over 2 years in this god damn car. I have seriously replaced everything brand new except for the transmission.

I have the OE trans in it currently with 115k miles, and I have a wicked vibration over 70mph.

The vibration is noticeable with the car in gear and cruising... but as soon as I push the clutch pedal in... it gets way bad. same thing if i put it into neutral. As soon as i get below 70mph it vanishes.

I have had my wheels straightened, new tires. same vibration

took an alum driveshaft from a 01 camaro, new ujoints, vibration went down a little bit... but not much (i guess alum dampened the vibration)

had my OE steel shaft balanced with new u joints... same vibration

Found my Torque Arm was cracked, so I replaced it along with a relocation xmember... set the pinon angle to -2. same vibration.

Had my rear completely rebuilt (minus posi unit and axles)... same vibration. (axles are straight)

When I did the clutch, I decided to put the ebay transmission i got 3 years ago into the car. I dont remember when the vibration started either.

so I put the OE trans back in, same vibration.

I DONT KNOW WHAT IS WRONG. So what I want to do is check the ebay transmission and see what could possibly cause this. I am at wits end, please help

----

Just put that on LS1tech.

Im so ****ing pissed right now. I played with the yoke in the transmission and there is slight movement but not much... now would this be the bearing or the bushing? how could both transmissions have the same issue? did the ebay trans just get synchros thrown in it?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #72
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Don't assume on the axles & outer bearings, check for runout and bearing play. I have that problem in my Z right now. In fact I thought of your car today because of it. She's quiet at 70 and starts shaking above that, although not as bad as you describe.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 03-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #73
ThoR294

new axle bearings, and the guy that rebuilt my rear said they were ok
Old 03-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #74
ThoR294

question, think that detroit tru trac thing could cause my vibration?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #75
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I would not think so, but you never know. I still think you have to check axle flange runout. Do not assume.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline