Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
SeanC

Preparing for first day at the track

Hey guys,

So I was at Mason-dixon dragway in Maryland (living here for 6 months), and I decided that I'm finally going to race my car in two weeks. Could you guys help me with some questions I have?

First, I want to do one final mod to my car before I go. So far I have:

-Adjustable PHB and LCAs (with relocation brackets)
-Longtubes, ORY, LMII, CAI, Pro 5.0 shifter, LT4 KM, PCMforless tune, 160 Deg. Thermostat
- Freshened-up cylinder heads with Crane 1.52 roller rockers, guide plates, and hardened pushrods
-Rockland standard gear rebuilt T-56 ("race-ready")

and i'll be running my C5 Y2ks with brand new Hankook Ventus V12s

What next mod do you think would be most effective? I was thinking about putting a better TA performance rear end cover on (especially since I have never changed my diff. fluid). Either that, or doing something with the suspension (rear shocks maybe?). What do you guys think?

Also, the track doesn't let you go around the water box. I tried to see what other cars were doing, but I'm still unsure. Should I just roll through the water and spin the tires enough to get the water off (not a crazy burnout - dont want to make the radials slick)...If so, should I just do a rolling "burnout", or should I get on the brakes?

I'm nervous about my first day, and would really appreciate your help! Want to put down some good first times!!!

Last edited by SeanC; 10-17-2010 at 01:42 PM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Be wary of the ten bolt and launching/wheelhop. Diff cover might help but it's debatable. If you race with the 6spd the measly 7.5 inch 10 bolt is sorta on borrowed time. And a lot of racing is trial and error. My Continental EcoPlus tires on the car now love a longer burnout and hooked a lot better than I thought for 10 year old tires that way. I started with a quick one, and graduated to like a 10 second burnout staying still on the brakes.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
SeanC

I was worried about the 10 bolt, but i'm not going to let it stop me...it is what it is I guess. I'm not going to do any 4k clutch dumps, but i'm not going to baby it either. I beat on it alot, and so far no problems...

I thought that street tires get slick when you heat them up for that long?
Old 10-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I was worried about the 10 bolt, but i'm not going to let it stop me...it is what it is I guess. I'm not going to do any 4k clutch dumps, but i'm not going to baby it either. I beat on it alot, and so far no problems...

I thought that street tires get slick when you heat them up for that long?
Every tire is different. Depends on what brand, compound, etc. Mine were slicker when I did a 3 sec burnout. Once I went to my longer ones and got them good and smokey they hooked up better. I cut a 2.03 60 ft Friday night on rock solid 10 year old Continental ContiContact Ecoplus Touring tires.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
SeanC

Good to know, i'll have to play with it a bit. I'm definitly not going to roast them, can't afford to ruin my tires! haha.

What do you guys think about another mod? Would it be bad to just replace my rear shocks before I go to the track?

Would it be dumb to take out my rear seats before I go? Is it even worth it?

Last edited by SeanC; 10-17-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
JerzLT1

your next mod should be a rear then a real tire
Old 10-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
Formula_Ltx

u can do an ok burnout at the track, cause there wont be inperfections on it to eat ur tires like the street. if i were u start with a good 5secs an jus play around from there to see wut works best. An with a 10 bolt i wouldnt suggest any clutch dumps (knowing from experience) instead try slippin it but quickly so that u dont burn up the clutch but enough not to dog the motor(trial an error works best here to) as for a mod to do before going; in my opinion 10 bolts are junk so i'd put the money into shocks, adjustable would be the best way to go.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #8
SeanC

Unfortunately I dont have the money for a rear...its just out of the question right now haha. I was going to get some ET streets put on my stock rims, but I figured I'd run street tires first and see how it hooks. So far it seems like the Ventus V12s hook really well for a street tire...
Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
SeanC

So i've been going over a few things on the car to get ready to race Saturday. One thing I noticed (which i've noticed prior to this) is that my battery is loose. You can move it around a bunch and can probably pull it out with some twisting.....

The battery in the car is obviously aftermarket and the little rubber hold down doesnt really hold on to the lip on the battery. I don't think Tech is too strict where im going, but what do you guys do to solve this problem?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Where are you planning on going?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

bungie cord. someone makes a metal bracket that bolts from the radiator support to the old hold down threads. the plastic on the overflow always breaks in the front.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
SeanC

I'm planning on going to Mason-Dixon dragway in Maryland...I moved down to MD for 6 months to work for Volvo.

I was thinking about a bungie cord...I just hate temporarily rigging stuff up like that! lol

What PSI do you guys suggest to put my tires at? I've read that its best to keep street tires at their recommended pressure, but it doesn't seem like anyone does..

Last edited by SeanC; 10-26-2010 at 11:04 AM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Drag Racing