Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 09-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #1
j0n

T56 HELP NEEDED STAT!

ok heres the deal my buddy just bought a 2001 camaro ss today w/ a 6speed and a hurst shifter...completely stock...took it out for a test drive and out of nowhere the clutch seems to disengage at around 1500 rpms...but it doesnt disengage all the way and gives you the most horrible frightening grinding noise i've ever heard...and you can't rev past the chatter as the clutch seems disengaged during the chatter...my guess is some sort of hydraulic problem but im looking for whatever anyone can come up with...thanks alot

oh and just as a side not the car only has 20k original miles
Old 09-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #2
AliWantsNss

Did he get the car from a dealer? If so take it back. Or ask the owner if he has any service records, and if its been a concern in the past. Is it the original clutch? I may know someone who could fix it. Just don't bring it here. I have had my share of trouble w/ my T-56. They are notorious for blocker rings breaking and shift forks bending.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo
AliWantsNss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #3
AliWantsNss

And is there fluid in it?

2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Old 09-02-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
Pat

does your friend know how to drive stick?

Sold: 1998 Trans Am
SLP Lid, Magnaflow Catback, Stock Hurst w/ JSS, BMR APHR, Chrome ZR1's

Currently Driving: 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88
Parents bought it from my neighbor's father for $500
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:45 PM   #5
j0n

ok it was dropped off at the dealership so alls well...mechanic guy thinks its a throughout bearing...anyway its covered under warranty anyway so its all good...thanks for the ideas tho
Old 09-02-2004, 08:12 PM   #6
Pat

is that where you were going when i called?

is this guy gonna register?

Sold: 1998 Trans Am
SLP Lid, Magnaflow Catback, Stock Hurst w/ JSS, BMR APHR, Chrome ZR1's

Currently Driving: 1986 Oldsmobile Delta 88
Parents bought it from my neighbor's father for $500
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
j0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTransAm
is that where you were going when i called?

is this guy gonna register?
yes and i hope so...not gunna be a dick about it till his car is operational and **** tho
Old 09-03-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
V
Stalker

the clutch disc is bad... i had the same problem with my '01 SS. The splines (that slide onto the input shaft) inside the clutch disc itself spin. When you apply throttle the load of the rear tires causes the splines to slip, making that horrible noise. Under light acceleration you can get the car to highway speeds, (i drove mine home from freehold like that) Ask the dealer for the old clutch disc, then look at it on the inside of where the springs are, i can bet you they will be shiny and show wear as if the were worn away by something. I didnt take mine to the dealer when it happened(@10k miles) since i pretty much knew it was clutch related and not mechanical, so the dealer would say "I wore it out", I installed a SPEC stage 3 the weekend after it happened and now, @53k miles, that needs to be changed soon again, 43k miles isnt bad for a racing clutch, lol
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:58 PM   #9
j0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
the clutch disc is bad... i had the same problem with my '01 SS. The splines (that slide onto the input shaft) inside the clutch disc itself spin. When you apply throttle the load of the rear tires causes the splines to slip, making that horrible noise. Under light acceleration you can get the car to highway speeds, (i drove mine home from freehold like that) Ask the dealer for the old clutch disc, then look at it on the inside of where the springs are, i can bet you they will be shiny and show wear as if the were worn away by something. I didnt take mine to the dealer when it happened(@10k miles) since i pretty much knew it was clutch related and not mechanical, so the dealer would say "I wore it out", I installed a SPEC stage 3 the weekend after it happened and now, @53k miles, that needs to be changed soon again, 43k miles isnt bad for a racing clutch, lol
so that isnt something that he could have done in 1 hour of driving then correct?
Old 09-04-2004, 12:40 AM   #10
V
Stalker

mine just went as I was pulling out of a toll booth, I shifted 1st, then second, went to 3rd, let off the clutch and then that horrible grinding noise. i didnt abuse it or anything, just went. In my opinion, its just a piece of crap GM clutch. lol If the dealer says its a wear issue and its not covered, thats BS, if i knew thats what happened on mine before i took it apart, i would have taken it to the dealer and made them fix it. But when i saw what it was, i had it all apart with the new clutch right next to me so i said screw it and didnt bothewr with the dealer. tomorrow i'll post pics of my old disc, i still have it, and in regards to wear, it looks brand new.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #11
j0n

Quote:
mine just went as I was pulling out of a toll booth, I shifted 1st, then second, went to 3rd, let off the clutch and then that horrible grinding noise. i didnt abuse it or anything, just went. In my opinion, its just a piece of crap GM clutch. lol If the dealer says its a wear issue and its not covered, thats BS, if i knew thats what happened on mine before i took it apart, i would have taken it to the dealer and made them fix it. But when i saw what it was, i had it all apart with the new clutch right next to me so i said screw it and didnt bothewr with the dealer. tomorrow i'll post pics of my old disc, i still have it, and in regards to wear, it looks brand new.
ok ill make sure we get the disc...see the thing is he brought the car home from the dealership....i took some pics of it...he took me for a ride in it...got gas...and 50 ft from his house the grinding started...and now the dealership is saying that if the problem is clutch-related its his fault and hes gunna hafta pay for it out of his pocket
Old 09-04-2004, 08:21 AM   #12
AliWantsNss

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n
Quote:
ok ill make sure we get the disc...see the thing is he brought the car home from the dealership....i took some pics of it...he took me for a ride in it...got gas...and 50 ft from his house the grinding started...and now the dealership is saying that if the problem is clutch-related its his fault and hes gunna hafta pay for it out of his pocket
Thats the way that it goes w/ "wear" items. What dealer was this? Did he buy it "As is"? They should have some kind of warranty if he just picked the car up. If he has to pay out of pocket, don't pay to have another stock clutch put in....

2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Old 09-04-2004, 09:42 AM   #13
ArCoLoG2

How many days has he owned the car, there is a law that the dealer has to fix or take back a car within the first 3 days if you can prove mechanical defects...They can't sell you a car with a blown clutch, hope it was really recent.
Strano Springs, Koni SA's
BMR: Q Arm relocation, Adj. Q Arm, boxed LCA, Adj. PHR.
Chrome C6Z06 DeepDish with Nitto NT05's
Future Mods: Dana S60, Tubular K-member/A-arms blah blah blah.
ArCoLoG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:35 AM   #14
j0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArCoLoG2
How many days has he owned the car, there is a law that the dealer has to fix or take back a car within the first 3 days if you can prove mechanical defects...They can't sell you a car with a blown clutch, hope it was really recent.
we brought the car back to the dealer the day he bought it...and if u could find some statute about that it would help a great deal
Old 09-04-2004, 10:37 AM   #15
j0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliWantsNss
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n
Quote:
Thats the way that it goes w/ "wear" items. What dealer was this? Did he buy it "As is"? They should have some kind of warranty if he just picked the car up. If he has to pay out of pocket, don't pay to have another stock clutch put in....
the dealership is Bound Brook Ford...and if after all is said and done he needs to get a clutch would anyone on the site be willing to help throw a spec stage III in it for the price of dinner?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:59 AM   #16
AliWantsNss

What was the terms? He should have signed a copy of a used car buyers guide which will specify exactly what the terms of sale are.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Old 09-04-2004, 12:42 PM   #17
V
Stalker

Heres a pic of my old clutch, sorry its not the greatest quality, but i have a cheap dig cam. You can see by the red circle where its is shiny and that is where it grinded internally. Its worn the same by all 4 springs. The clutch itself has a ton of life left but apparently due to poor construction, the inside of the disc fails first.

In regards to your friend, since he only had it one day, PLUS if the clutch come out like this. ANYONE can see it wasnt due to abuse or inexperienced driver. Its an obvious MECHANICAL FAILURE.

Old 09-04-2004, 03:02 PM   #18
j0n

Quote:
Heres a pic of my old clutch, sorry its not the greatest quality, but i have a cheap dig cam. You can see by the red circle where its is shiny and that is where it grinded internally. Its worn the same by all 4 springs. The clutch itself has a ton of life left but apparently due to poor construction, the inside of the disc fails first.

In regards to your friend, since he only had it one day, PLUS if the clutch come out like this. ANYONE can see it wasnt due to abuse or inexperienced driver. Its an obvious MECHANICAL FAILURE.

thanks for the picture! yea i'm about 95% positive all should go well...ill keep ya informed

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech