Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment

Notices

Old 02-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
usp55

new front speaker help

I just picked up some infinity 2-way 6.5" speakers today and after i put them in i got this really annoying "HISS"ing static sound from them. If i turned it up it kinda got rid of it but i dont wana ride around like that. Also when i took it for a test drive after i noticed when i got on the gas i was able to hear a whining noise from the speakers. any idea how to fix this. It is hooded up to an aftermarket pioneer head unit. I just took off the old speakers and plugged in the new ones - the wire connectors could have been tighter but they were not falling off.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
edpontiac91

Quote:
Originally Posted by usp55 View Post
I just picked up some infinity 2-way 6.5" speakers today and after i put them in i got this really annoying "HISS"ing static sound from them. If i turned it up it kinda got rid of it but i dont wana ride around like that. Also when i took it for a test drive after i noticed when i got on the gas i was able to hear a whining noise from the speakers. any idea how to fix this. It is hooded up to an aftermarket pioneer head unit. I just took off the old speakers and plugged in the new ones - the wire connectors could have been tighter but they were not falling off.
The sound you hear when you are driving around is static coming from the ignition wires. If you have aftermarket set of wires installed they may not be shielded enough. You may have to go and get a filter installed on the wires going to the speakers. Take it to a place like Zippo's and have them take a look at it.

1994 25th ANNIVERSARY TRANS AM GT -1
of ONLY 2,000 made/ Only 128 made with a HURST 6-Speed Manual and 91 with T-Tops and Compact Disc/ K & N Filtercharger/Magnaflow Performance Muffler/Air Foil- ORIGINAL MINT Arctic White Ultra Rare SURVIVOR. DAYTONA 500 PACE CAR Decal Kit!

SOLD: 1989 Turbo T/A in 1991 it ran 12:18@115 mph
edpontiac91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #3
usp55

should i have just paid best buy to install them - they wanted 50bucks

I dont think the wires are aftermarket.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

So the only thing that changed was the speakers?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
usp55

yea - should i have changed the wires too?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I don't know. I just wanted to eliminate potential issues. Try poking around http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/default.asp

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
usp55

-thanks for the link
-now that i think about it i did put the speakers in the door with the addition of this metal bracket that came with the speakers. Could the metal cause this interference because of the magnets?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

best thing to do is process of elimination. i remember in my 95 v6 with the bose system, i had the same interference consistent with the engine speed. it was very slight and when i turned it up, you wouldn't hear it. i only heard it from the passenger front speaker though. ended up being the amp before the speaker in the actual door panel on its way out. $500+ from gm so that never got fixed.

check your wires though and make sure a screw isn't pinching somewhere, maybe off of the metal bracket?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > In Car Entertainment