Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Dog Fences

Guys,

My 12 pound Miniature Schnauzer continues to escape from our fenced backyard and today she didn't make it back until our neighbor chased her to our house. Our backyard abuts wetlands so animals burrow under the fence so every gap in the fence I fill up is quickly worked around. I tried different ideas including burying chicken wire, but since we have a large backyard, it's too much work to keep doing it in the entire fence. She usually returns on her own when she escapes, but behind us is all swamps so we have to bathe her multiple times a week as a result.

I have a electric fence company coming today to give a quote. Just wondering if you guys have any experience with these. I know larger dogs are usually able to power through them, but my dog is anything but large.

Thanks
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
madness410

bordering the fence with landscaping rocks near the bottom?
madness410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

The electric fences are very dependent on the dog.

My family had a smaller Brittany spaniel who would follow it, but both labs would just walk through it without a care in the world. At the very least if the fence company can bury the line at the physical fence, the dog would get warnings when approaching the physical fence, so may deter it from digging.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #4
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness410 View Post
bordering the fence with landscaping rocks near the bottom?
We're in downward sloping wetlands. Tried that, in the Spring, they slowly tumbled down the slope. Tried logs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
The electric fences are very dependent on the dog.

My family had a smaller Brittany spaniel who would follow it, but both labs would just walk through it without a care in the world. At the very least if the fence company can bury the line at the physical fence, the dog would get warnings when approaching the physical fence, so may deter it from digging.
That's what I've heard, but I'm hoping that between it and the current fence, the two measures should stop our froofy littly dog since it's a little coward.

We got a quote today actually and the odd thing is they are suggesting we don't dig the wire and instead ziptie it to the current fence to allow the dog to get closer to the fence before getting buzzed. I need to think about that one.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge