Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
emolineaux

manual fan switch help

hey guys im having an issue with a 94 camaro 3.4 v6 where the cooling fan isnt kicking on when it should be.(not kicking on at all)

i pulled the fan and benched tested it and it will run no problem
replaced the relay and checked all fuses
(was told it should run when the ac is on- didnt run at all)

Update. well i just picked up a fan wiring kit that includes an adjustable temp control i have this pretty much setup ready to go just need some quick info. dont have a wiring diagram for this car so if you know it would be appreicated.

i have to run one wire to the ac clutch wire. ( clutch has 2 wires going to it. looks like green and black?)

second one i need to run is to a switched power source. (cant be pulse signal) if there are any wires close to the battery you know of that is easy to tap into let me know.

Last edited by emolineaux; 01-30-2011 at 03:33 PM.
emolineaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Does the fan trigger via ECM or fan switch in this car?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
emolineaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Does the fan trigger via ECM or fan switch in this car?
well its got a coolant temp sensor for the gauge and also has a temp switch in the drivers head, i believe it the switch sends info to the ecm which it than turns fans on.

switch and sensor are only a few months old(changed everthing out when i did waterpump job.)

ive been reading up on this and a bunch of people are having same issue. which could be a bad ecm.

i have to bring my tester home tomorrow to see if i might have a broken wire somewhere.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

If its a similar setup as the V8 cars, which I would imagine it is, the manual fan switch just grounds the fan relay instead of the PCM doing it. So if the relays, fuses and fans all work, you should be good to go with that.

So the two leads, high and low fans, can either be combined or wired separately for individual control. Throw a switch and a good ground in the cabin together, and voila success.

Last edited by LTb1ow; 01-03-2011 at 02:59 PM.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
emolineaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
If its a similar setup as the V8 cars, which I would imagine it is, the manual fan switch just grounds the fan relay instead of the PCM doing it. So if the relays, fuses and fans all work, you should be good to go with that.

So the two leads, high and low fans, can either be combined or wired separately for individual control. Throw a switch and a good ground in the cabin together, and voila success.

na the 3.4 camaros have a different setup all together compaired to the 3.8 and v8 cars.

this has one big single fan. and no plugs like pictured like the v8s do. (if it was the same i would of thrown my slp fan switch in place but of course this is the one model it doesnt fit lol)
Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Ach, do'Oh moment for me.

Can you apply the same logic and just piggy back off the PCM control lead to the fan relay?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
emolineaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
Ach, do'Oh moment for me.

Can you apply the same logic and just piggy back off the PCM control lead to the fan relay?
i prob could but i was just thinking about making a basically a stand along harness. i have an oem connector off my trans ams harness. was just going to run that through the firewall switch in the dash run a fuse or relay near the battery,
Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
V
Stalker

run a relay
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Try going to Shoebox's site and look in the schematic section. He has how to do OBDI and ODBII cars. Proabably the same for a V6 or V8.

http://shbox.com/page/index.html
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
BonzoHansen
Admin.

just trigger the oe relay.

if you want to go true standalone then figure out how to work a fan switch off the engine. you can still do a manual switch but it would be far less hackish and more effective. Is this a single fan or dual fans? I don't know v6 cars. If it is dual fan there is a cool oe bmw switch out there you can do 2 speeds with, using 2 or 3 relays.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
emolineaux

just updated the first post any info would be helpful. have this pretty much squared away but need to know where to tap into the last 2 wires.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring