Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 11-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
madness410

trans acting up

just looking to see if anyone else has or has had this issue. 99 ws6 t56 trans. sometimes after i switch gears and put it in neutral if i hit the gas to rev the motor the trans still seems like the trans is partially engaged and there is some grinding going on. sometimes also if i put the clutch in and rev while the trans is in gear it also occurs when it is in gear. then id switch gears and do the same and would not hear grinding. this occurs in all gears.

other than that the trans shifts great and when its in gear there are absolutely no issues other than revving in gear or neutral and hearing the grind.

i changed the trans fluid out a few weeks ago to pennzoil syncromesh. just looking to see if anyone has had this issue or could tell me what causes the issue. thanks.
madness410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

What weight is that stuff?

The T56 uses ATF. I have always used Redline D4 ATF in my trans.

Did it make the noise prior to the fluid change? Could it be the throw out bearing your hearing?
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Last edited by Pampered-Z; 12-03-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness410 View Post
just looking to see if anyone else has or has had this issue. 99 ws6 t56 trans. sometimes after i switch gears and put it in neutral if i hit the gas to rev the motor the trans still seems like the trans is partially engaged and there is some grinding going on. sometimes also if i put the clutch in and rev while the trans is in gear it also occurs when it is in gear. then id switch gears and do the same and would not hear grinding. this occurs in all gears.

other than that the trans shifts great and when its in gear there are absolutely no issues other than revving in gear or neutral and hearing the grind.

i changed the trans fluid out a few weeks ago to pennzoil syncromesh. just looking to see if anyone has had this issue or could tell me what causes the issue. thanks.
Does it go away after you drive for a while?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
madness410

yeah i heard it before and after changing the fluid. i bought it with a hurst shifter i was told it may be an adjustable one and it may not be adjusted correctly. i was able to borrow from another member on here another shifter so im going to pop that one on and try that out.

actually billy the sound happens a bit more after driving for a while.
madness410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Jensend

Depending on the age and use of the trans , the shift fork may have wear or be deformed. My car had the fork deform from heat/wear. Replaced it with a steel fork and all problems disappeared. But check out all the simple fixes suggested above first.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
redsoxsstink

Social Networks:

the adjustable shifter is easy to adjust. when in gear adjust the screw until its snug then back it off 1/2 to 3/4 turn then set the lock nut, there should be a screw at the top and bottom of the base. i dont think this is the issue while being in neutral. the stop is there to prevent shift fork damage while rowing gears. if it was improperly adjusted previously it may have already caused damage.
2002 Camaro Sunset Orange Mettalic, V6, 5spd, bilstein HD shocks and struts, eibach pro lowering kit, eibach f/r sway bars, lakewood PHB, UMI 2 point subframe connectors, energy suspensions poly master bushing kit
daily econobox and first car

1986 IROC-Z, T56, MGW shifter, Heads, Cam, Holley Stealth Ram 350, t-top, tubular LCA with relo brackets, adjustable PHB, belltech sway bars, ground control weight jacks, SLP mid length headers, 3in w/borla XR1, RIP 3 10 bolts, 12.7 @ 109 so far.. atleast its faster than stock SOLD

1971 Camaro LS3/T56/9in, cam only and still carbed, RIP 2 10 bolts, 11.62@121

03 Blazer 2 door - salt sponge
redsoxsstink is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech