Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
zraffz

Timing Indicator

I am probably just so frustrated that I am over thinking things but I replaced a set of intake gaskets on a motor and switched from a points style distributor to an HEI at that time so i never bothered to mark the distributor.

I was spinning the motor over by hand to bring it to TDC to install the distributor, well I always take my driver's side valve cover off to watch the valves open and shut. My first rotating to my TDC mark was 180* out (I saw a valve close instantly followed by a valve opening) and something didn't look right. I spun it back to the sweet spot just before the #1 cylinder would go through the exhaust stroke (where the valves are both shut at 180* out) and noticed my timing indicator was about 10* to the right of the TDC mark.

I verified my balancer isn't twisted by installing a piston stop and marking it at both sides and finding the center. It's some stupid aftermarket timing indicator on a stock timing cover; I assume some knucklehead installed the wrong indicator.

At the point of being 180* out (when the balancer shows at TDC but it would take another rotating to be correct) and both valves are closed on the #1 cylinder; can I use that spot to verify the indicator is not in the right spot?
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

If you already did the piston stop/marking/find center deal you can use an adjustable pointer to fix the issue.

What does the one you have now look like?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
zraffz

It's an adjustable Moros but it won't adjust enough. I think it's based off a different balancer diameter. I found center on the balancer based off the timing mark. How could that help me find where the indicator is supposed to be? I understand I can't soley base where the marker should line up with the marking in the balancer since my valve timing might not be 100% accurate but 8-10 degrees off doesn't seem possible without a faulty indicator.
zraffz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

What I did was turn the engine back and forth, making the two marks and finding the middle of the line between them. That's TDC. Then I moved the pointer to correspond with the middle mark.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning