Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #76
Mike
BadMod

They can sell zl1's to lots of midlife crisis guys who loved f bodies as kids but got away from them and now want a new one

They can only sell these to enthusiasts and the odd collector. So I doubt they will make more

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #77
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

You really think its a stripped down ss with fancy seats?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #78
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I didnt realize there was another page in this discussion when I posted.

What special Z parts? Some badges and some seats? There is absolutely no way this car should cost more than a ZL1
Clearly you didn't read any of the links.
LS7 costs more to make than the LSA. The carbon ceramic brakes cost ten grand more. The light weight glass costs more. The special front splitter, and other Z28 specific body parts cost more. The Z28 spec suspension, wheels, R- Compound tires, and standard Recaros cost more.
Add in additional cost of deleting things, and you have a price tag of 60k+
This is not a badge job.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #79
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Clearly you didn't read any of the links.
I did not read the links, whoops. Aint no one got time for dat.

I didnt realize it had carbon ceramic brakes.

Quote:
LS7 costs more to make than the LSA.
I did not read the links, whoops. I didnt realize it had carbon ceramic brakes.

I was mixing up the LSA with the LS9, I thought the prices were about 12k off, but the retail on the LSA is about the same as the LS7

Last edited by PolarBear; 03-29-2013 at 04:22 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #80
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

That is the car I envision (or as close as I could hope for in today's hyper litigious world) when I think Z28. I'm not a huge 5th gen fan at all, but the car looks lower, thinner vertically (does that even make sense) and wider. GM finally grew a set and took stuff out to make it lighter, versus adding worthless crap then overcompensating with power, bigger wheels etc. and forcing convenience packages down your throat when performance packages are added.

Finally they go it right.....

I'd put money down tonight if the sticker was low to mid 40's, but apparently that's no where near where the price point will be.......Oh well, guess I gotta finish the junk in my garage.......

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #81
BigAls87Z28

You would like the 1LE.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #82
Blacdout96

If it was worthy of using the rpo 1le that is.

Quote:
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #83
coolmanvette75
12 Second Club / Bullwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacdout96 View Post
If it was worthy of using the rpo 1le that is.
This. I think the Z28 is more of a "1LE" by design honestly...
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSex View Post
who is FFB?
An NJFBOA legend. Ask about him at the next meet.
coolmanvette75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #84
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Wonder how long before someone cuts the window open and sticks a maggie through there
Well, that didn't take long

1995 Firebird... Stock-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1ow View Post
Good. He microwaved my phone 6 years ago, i hope his intake erupts.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #85
Mike
BadMod

Nice wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #86
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

It's a car that fills a niche that consumers were asking for. How many times has the "less weight" or "less crap" drum been beaten?

The original first gen Z/28s that everybody lusts over are inferior to first gen SS cars in every way on the street. On a road course that's different. It seems the same way here, maybe with the exception of power.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #87
Blacdout96

I can agree with that WBT, but it's not the fact that weight is the issue, it's the designation of the rpo's and what they represented to the Camaro heritage that I have a problem with. We talk about bringing the Corvette into the mid engine rear wheel drive era, but to please the Corvette enthusiests, that may well never happen, the Corvette heritage must remain as a FR design. The ZR-1 is still the top banana Corvette, the ZO6 is still the track ready beast to take on the corners (just like the 60's and 90's ZO6). The Grand Sports name got tarnished with the 1996 model, yet from the 96 and today's GS, they have stuck with the track style ready car, without having a crazy engine in it, so to me, they have stuck to what the RPO and edition traditions to the Corvette, but the Camaro has had more Hodge podge spinoffs then I care to hear about. This is what the Camaro editions should of had, and what RPO and designations they should of been.

-SS - stay as is, allows for entry level V8 customers looking to drive to the local wawa to buy milk. Ment to compete agaisnt 5.0 Mustang

-1LE - new small displacement LT engine with Z28 & ZL1 suspension, optional or deleted items such as A/C and radio, Recaro seats, mainly track oriented, suited for Boss 302 Mustang L.S. edition. Comes only standard transmission.

-Z28 - more of a road and buyer friendly styled 1LE based, most, if not all options standard, less customer checks off not what they want. Both standard and auto trans available. Suspension stays as what it was unveiled with. Small displacement engine, same as in 1LE. Made to compete against Boss 302 Mustang.

-ZLI - Road friendly, but track ready after a few tweaks car. Current ZL1 tires and rims, suspension less road racing oriented, standard and auto trans available, and most important, 7.0 litre engine.Made to compete against Shelby GT500/Rush/Saleen.

- COPO - more track oriented ZLI. Just like 1le, standard items are optional, or removed, and comes with LSA engine. Made to compete against Ford Cobra Jet program.

It's just my opinion on what the order and options should of been, and I feel as an enthusiest, is the correct build and RPO designation for those models.

Quote:
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 03-31-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #88
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
I can agree with that WBT, but it's not the fact that weight is the issue, it's the designation of the rpo's and what they represented to the Camaro heritage that I have a problem with. We talk about bringing the Corvette into the mid engine rear wheel drive era, but to please the Corvette enthusiests, that may well never happen, the Corvette heritage must remain as a FR design. The ZR-1 is still the top banana Corvette, the ZO6 is still the track ready beast to take on the corners (just like the 60's and 90's ZO6). The Grand Sports name got tarnished with the 1996 model, yet from the 96 and today's GS, they have stuck with the track style ready car, without having a crazy engine in it, so to me, they have stuck to what the RPO and edition traditions to the Corvette, but the Camaro has had more Hodge podge spinoffs then I care to hear about. This is what the Camaro editions should of had, and what RPO and designations they should of been.

-SS - stay as is, allows for entry level V8 customers looking to drive to the local wawa to buy milk. Ment to compete agaisnt 5.0 Mustang

-1LE - new small displacement LT engine with Z28 & ZL1 suspension, optional or deleted items such as A/C and radio, Recaro seats, mainly track oriented, suited for Boss 302 Mustang L.S. edition. Comes only standard transmission.

-Z28 - more of a road and buyer friendly styled 1LE based, most, if not all options standard, less customer checks off not what they want. Both standard and auto trans available. Suspension stays as what it was unveiled with. Small displacement engine, same as in 1LE. Made to compete against Boss 302 Mustang.

-ZLI - Road friendly, but track ready after a few tweaks car. Current ZL1 tires and rims, suspension less road racing oriented, standard and auto trans available, and most important, 7.0 litre engine.Made to compete against Shelby GT500/Rush/Saleen.

- COPO - more track oriented ZLI. Just like 1le, standard items are optional, or removed, and comes with LSA engine. Made to compete against Ford Cobra Jet program.

It's just my opinion on what the order and options should of been, and I feel as an enthusiest, is the correct build and RPO designation for those models.

im just gonna wait over here >>>
im sure someone will be here shortly to discuss with you everything thats wrong with what you just said. I havent the time.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #89
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Alright

Quote:
Why small displacement? 1LE was a suspension and brake package for the two most powerful versions of the Z28 for third gens, and a suspension upgrade for the 4th gen.
1LE would be akin to the Boss 302 LS, not the regular Boss.

Quote:
Eh, Z28 has changed throughout the years. If we are to compare all Z28's to the first gen, then the Z died in 1969.
A higher output LS3 would be cool, but a lighter weight, hand built, 7k RPM, dry-sumped LS7 works too.
No auto trans.

Quote:
Going to need more than 7 liters to keep up with 660-700hp.

Quote:
COPO car is exactly that. It's a straight up and down race car.

I can overlook the fact that the Z has the LS7, because the LS7 is above and beyond the greatest of the Gen III/IV engines.
The rest of the car is pure insanity.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #90
jam01

this is funny how some hate on the camaro, i personally did not like the third gen when they first came out, they grew on me and i have owned several. gm offered more packages as the years went by, not all good but at least they were there. they were never that quick or had much hp you just had to know how to improve upon what you had. when the 4th gen came out i almost bought one the first year, but i am glad i waited and have a 02. now we have 10ss and we like it, its fun to drive has power and handles well on the street. now i still remember people bitching about not having enough options available throughout the years and i guess that will never end. why cant people be happy that these are available, the 6 cyl is 312 hp the standard ss is 426. if price is a problem, that's why imports are for sale in this country.
jam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #91
12secondv6
Token v6 Guy

I think it is a hot car!
Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #92
greenformula92

2018 Silverado 1500
greenformula92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #93
PolarBear

I just read this and I thought I put in perspective to people that think they can "build it cheaper"

GMHTP
Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #94
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

$75k?

How many will actually be used for what that price tag gets you?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #95
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Four.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #96
Slow-V6

I watched the Jay Lenos Garage on the Z28 and man that car looks sick. Not really a 5th gen fan but Jay gave it a ton of praise. He even got stopped by a couple people on the street as they thought the car was bad ass as well!!
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #97
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
$75k?

How many will actually be used for what that price tag gets you?

lol Jesus H....75k. i know its a lot of car....but 75k for a camaro....never thought I'd see it
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #98
damon_Z

Looks good. I wish GM can just ditch the big front bow tie and put a big Z28 or classic SS emblem on there.

2015 Deep Black Pearl DSG GTI. For My Wife.
2006 Quicksilver Metallic M6 GTO. Holden Hybrid.
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic A4 Z28. 1SC-Stripper.
damon_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #99
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon_Z View Post
Looks good. I wish GM can just ditch the big front bow tie and put a big Z28 or classic SS emblem on there.
It's not an SS, so not sure why they would do that.....
Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #100
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
It's not an SS, so not sure why they would do that.....
Maybe he meant in general about all 5th gens?

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge