Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
ins0mnia24

Snap-on & Blue-Point differences

I know from reading the forums in the past that there is quite a few Snap-on Tool users here..
I am looking into finally upgrading my sockets mostly 1/4, 3/8" and some 1/2 mostly everything is sizes that I would need for my car..
I kept a list of what I use and don't use a long with what I might possibly need in the future..
I am happy with my Proto Ratchets and the misc Snap-On stuff that I have
So I was considering saving some money and just going with the Snap-on Blue Point sockets..
Does anyone here have any direct experience with the differences of the two???
I know that Blue Point is like Mid grade but I am hoping that they are better than the Craftsman sockets that I have been using...
Out of convenience Mac and Matco are out of the question because the local Snap-on guy is always cool enough to come directly to my house if I email or call him..
QTP Headers, Mufflex Stainless Y-pipe, Pypes Performance Exhaust, Moser 12-bolt w/ 33 spline axles,Truetrac & 3:73's., Spohn.
Cartek Tuned...
ins0mnia24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Well I don't have experience with the Blue point, but in general, as a shadetree, I use Snap on and SK for ผ” and 3/8”, and Craftsman for ฝ” sockets ( but SK ratchets and breaker bars). For the price and how often I truly need 1/2 the craftsman are fine, I think I broke one 19mm. So my .02 is that the mid grade would probably be fine for the ฝ” drive.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Mike
BadMod

i think the only difference that earns the tool the blue point name is the length of the warrenty of the tool.....

im a HUGE fan of the 1/4'' sk sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #4
ins0mnia24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
i think the only difference that earns the tool the blue point name is the length of the warrenty of the tool.....

Yeh thanks man I neglected to look into that when I figured I could possibly save $250 or so..
I did call Snap-on and my local guy and they both said the Blue Point sockets, ratchets, extensions ect.. are Life time warranty just like the regular Snap-on stuff..
The only thing that looks different to me anyways between the Blue-Point and Snap-on is the finish or plating on the stuff..
QTP Headers, Mufflex Stainless Y-pipe, Pypes Performance Exhaust, Moser 12-bolt w/ 33 spline axles,Truetrac & 3:73's., Spohn.
Cartek Tuned...
Old 06-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Mike
BadMod

sweet thats good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
IROCdan330
12 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ins0mnia24 View Post
Yeh thanks man I neglected to look into that when I figured I could possibly save $250 or so..
I did call Snap-on and my local guy and they both said the Blue Point sockets, ratchets, extensions ect.. are Life time warranty just like the regular Snap-on stuff..
The only thing that looks different to me anyways between the Blue-Point and Snap-on is the finish or plating on the stuff..
while being lifetime warranty the blue point stuff isnt made in-house like the snap-on stuff is. so quality may differ just a tad. I use a combination of both at work and have no complaints on either side.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
NastyEllEssWon

also blue point uses a lot of the older snap on designs.

the new snap on air ratchets have a metal flywheel inside as opposed to the older design now used on the blue points...the snap ons are durable...the blue points are just as...i have a bunch of both...if you can get a good price on the snap on version it may be worth it...but some of the tools that blue point has are just awesome priced.

btw i have both snap on and blue point air ratches. i use the blue point more often because it has a slimmer head design

matco locking flex head ratchet ftw
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

The local guy, Joel, says they are the same cept one gets the snapon badge and the other gets the bluepoint badge in general.... Most of the guys at work use both and we have yet to break anything, and we abuse them.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
ins0mnia24

Thanks for the input guys I just ordered a 155 piece service set..
Set Components (1/4" Drive)
• 10 Fractional (3/16" to 9/16") and 13 Metric (4mm to 14mm) Standard Sockets
• 10 Fractional (3/16" to 9/16") and 11 Metric (4mm to 14mm) Deep Sockets
• 20 Assorted 1/4" hex bits with Bit Holder
• 5 Ratchet/Socket Accessories.

• 1 Quick Release Ratchet
Set Components (3/8" Drive)
• 13 Fractional (1/4" to 1") and 19 Metric (6mm to 24mm) Standard Sockets
• 11 Fractional (3/8" to 1") and 15 Metric (10mm to 24mm) Deep Sockets
• 11 External Torxฎ Sockets (E4 to E20)
• 2 Spark Plug Sockets (5/8", 13/16")
• 3 Metric Hex Socket Drivers (7mm, 8mm, 10mm)
• 4 Tamper Resistant Torxฎ Socket Drivers (T40, T45, T50,T55)
• 5 Ratchet/Socket Accessories
• 1 Quick Release Ratchet
• 1 Spinner Handle

1/4" 6 inch extension.
3/8' 4, 6 and 10 inch extensions..
Getting all of that for $325.00 from the local guy
thanks
Cartek Tuned...
Old 06-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
EchoMirage
13 Second Club

i have some blue point ratchet wrenches. made in tawian. ive never had any issues with craftsman, neither has a friend of mine who has 100% craftsman sockets, wrenches, etc, and has been turning wrenches for 30 years.

i do have some old, and i mean OLD (older then 90% of the people in this forum, at least 40yrs) SK 3/8 ratches. i like them over the newer craftsman design, with the flattened handle. other then that, all my sockets and regular wrenches are craftsman.

Last edited by EchoMirage; 06-29-2008 at 08:49 PM.
EchoMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
ins0mnia24

Just wanted to update this since I received the set and saved a few things to do just to use as an excuse to try them out..
The Blue-Ponit sockets fit tighter on nuts & bolts and dont seem to have as much play as the Craftsman stuff does..
I am probably going to order a 1/2 set along with a good breaker bar in a week or 2..
I put all all of the Craftsman stuff in my bottom drawer and will save them for the times when beating on a hammer is needed
Cartek Tuned...

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech