Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > South Jersey

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Whoboy580

Need Help......

I have a 86 Camaro with Lakewood bellhousing. I am doing TKO600 swap. I was wondering if someone wouldn't mind helping me index the bellhousing. Please have knowledge on doing bellhousing index.. All you need to do is bring your Dial Indicator and help me with reading it, setting it up, stay under the car as I turn the motor by hand. The car will be on the road,jacked up, and on jack stands. So you won't have to do anything really. Will pay cash or any parts I have laying around.

Please let me know...

I tried dealing with summit and get the dial indicator but it doesnt work, so i returned it and I want to to this car done.
Whoboy580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Whoboy580

forgot to mention I already have the bellhousing and flywheel already on.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

I feel your pain. I did the same thing to put the TKO 600 in my 70 Nova, but I had the motor out of the car to do it and was able to put the motor on a stand and take my time. I don't think I'd try it in the car, on jack stands, in the street. Its a tedious process and you need reasonable access, good light and time to make the small adjustments necessary to the achieve the results required. I was able to get mine to less than 0.003 all the way around. Lakewood recommends less than 0.005, others say you need 0.001. Go by what your warranty requires/manufacturer says you need, so you don't void the warranty on the unit.

I used the weld-on style dowel pin kit versus the offset dowels and drilling the block for the set screws. Not sure if one is better than the other? I liked the idea of the weld-on kit being permanent once the adjustment was complete and when I remove the tranny/bell/clutch for service I'm not worrying if the set screw held, did the dowel pin move, do I need to check again?

One piece of advice, torque the bellhousing bolts to spec. If you don't it will have an impact on your results, and/or you won't get repeatable results. If you need small adjustments (which is likely), don't loosen the bolts all the way, simply break tension, then twist the offset dowels (if going with that style) or use a rubber mallet or dead blow to "nudge" the bellhousing in the desired direction (if going with that style), then re-torque and check your numbers again.

I would try to hook up with someone that can get the car on a lift, at least that way, the car is stable and you will have better access and be more comfortable while doing the work. This isn't a 15 minute job. It will take a little bit of fiddling with the dial indicator, some practice to get repeatable results and then you'll be set to go.

If it turns out bad, your nice new tranny will be toast. Don't rush this.

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Whoboy580

located in National Park,NJ 08063
Old 10-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Maybe this can help. The browell tools are not cheap though.

http://www.camaros.org/bellhousings.shtml
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
Whoboy580

thanks sent them a e mail for price and which pins to get.. will let you know
Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Whoboy580

Going to buy the tool and than I will rent it out. If anyone is interested in renting it send me a PM
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoboy580 View Post
Going to buy the tool and than I will rent it out. If anyone is interested in renting it send me a PM
Yeah. ME.

Probably not until the spring though.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Whoboy580

okay pm me than.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Whoboy580

Thanks to everyone for all your help. The car is now back up running.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Regional Forums > South Jersey