Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 11-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
stoney2677

72 fuel lines and tank

I've searched here, nastyz28, and Google but can't find. I've identified the feed line and vent line from the tank. The vent line comes back disappears Under the car heading back towards the front and then goes to the tank. That's the first question, where does it go? That's on the driver side. Feed comes from the center of the tank. There are 2 more lines coming from the passenger side of the tank. I assume one goes to the fuel gauge? What would the other be? I see no charcoal filter anywhere. I'm going to install the atomic efi and was wondering if any of those lines could be used for a return.
stoney2677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
bsharp2

Social Networks:

Did you see this?

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252193

My 71 has this fuel vapor separator/vent setup behind the back seat.

Warren County NJ... Looking for other Camaro Enthusiasts Nearby. I'm in Great Meadows near Island Dragway.

Last edited by bsharp2; 11-27-2015 at 08:55 PM. Reason: grammar
bsharp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
bsharp2

Social Networks:

I've got a 72 assembly manual around if you don't have one, kept it when I sold my 72 Z-28.

Warren County NJ... Looking for other Camaro Enthusiasts Nearby. I'm in Great Meadows near Island Dragway.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:59 PM   #4
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Fuel gauge is a wire to the sender in the tank. Evap is a single line that runs up the drivers side. I think by 72 they had moved onto the cannister up front and not the odd setup behind the rear seat. But i'm not sure of that.

The fuel feed line runs up the pass side. There is a rubber hose at the back of the subframe to allow for body mount movement. Some cars had a second smaller line that ran parallel to the fuel feed line. It as actually a return line. Both ran to the fuel pump. I think either all AC cars or all HD cooling cars got the return line. My Z, an AC car, has a return line.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
bsharp2

Social Networks:

Got curious and pulled the AIM... manual shows both the Charcoal Canister and the Vapor Separator for 72. Link above shows page from a 73 book.

Last edited by bsharp2; 11-27-2015 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
stoney2677

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharp2 View Post
Did you see this?

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252193

My 71 has this fuel vapor separator/vent setup behind the back seat.
Thanks. Can you see it if you pull the back seat forward? The one on my driver side goes all the way to the front and hangs out behind the bumper. That normal?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #7
stoney2677

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Fuel gauge is a wire to the sender in the tank. Evap is a single line that runs up the drivers side. I think by 72 they had moved onto the cannister up front and not the odd setup behind the rear seat. But i'm not sure of that.

The fuel feed line runs up the pass side. There is a rubber hose at the back of the subframe to allow for body mount movement. Some cars had a second smaller line that ran parallel to the fuel feed line. It as actually a return line. Both ran to the fuel pump. I think either all AC cars or all HD cooling cars got the return line. My Z, an AC car, has a return line.
Mine looks, from what I can see, very similar to the pic. Driver side goes up behind the seat, another comes out and goes up to front of car and vents outside the car. No canister. 2 off passenger side up behind seat.

Last edited by stoney2677; 11-27-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
bsharp2

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney2677 View Post
Thanks. Can you see it if you pull the back seat forward? The one on my driver side goes all the way to the front and hangs out behind the bumper. That normal?
You can see the unit if you pull the upper back seat but the connections face rearward over the tank. If you pull the seat you can at least ascertain if you have this. From there you can use the AIM diagrams to see routing. I can scan pages if you need them.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
stoney2677

Quote:
Got curious and pulled the AIM... manual shows both the Charcoal Canister and the Vapor Separator for 72. Link above shows page from a 73 book.
So I guess the question is can I lose this set up, or some of it, in place of a vented cap? This would make it easy to add a return line w/o dropping the tank. Still can't figure if a 70 vented will fit a 72.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
stoney2677

Quote:
You can see the unit if you pull the upper back seat but the connections face rearward over the tank. If you pull the seat you can at least ascertain if you have this. From there you can use the AIM diagrams to see routing. I can scan pages if you need them.
Thanks but the link you posted shows what I have already.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
bsharp2

Social Networks:

Quote:
So I guess the question is can I lose this set up, or some of it, in place of a vented cap? This would make it easy to add a return line w/o dropping the tank. Still can't figure if a 70 vented will fit a 72.
I've never done this but the guy in the thread I linked seems to say this is possible...

"The three-line tanks have a fuel supply, fuel return line, and the line to the charcoal canister. The two line tanks don't have the return line.

You don't generally need to run a return line if you're running a mechanical pump.

You do need one (highly recommended?) if you have an electrical pump.

You must vent your tank in some way or you will have fuel delivery problems.

To vent your tank you can either leave the line hooked to the charcoal canister or you can install a small breather filter on the end of the line somewhere and remove the charcoal canister. You may smell more fumes if you do this.

You can also use a vented gas cap to allow air into your tank."

Old 11-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #12
stoney2677

Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna try a vented gas cap and also leave the front vent. This way one can stop the vacuum effect and the other will release any pressure built from heat. If I have problems I'll bite the bullet and buy a new tank.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
bsharp2

Social Networks:

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna try a vented gas cap and also leave the front vent. This way one can stop the vacuum effect and the other will release any pressure built from heat. If I have problems I'll bite the bullet and buy a new tank.
Best of luck with it! I'm sure I'll be dealing with it on my 71 at some point but it's all apart now so I'm probably just running all new lines.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech