Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Mark42

Headlight Mod. Euro Lights...

Anyone use these? They are 4703/4701 housings, like Eurolights, but seem to be much better.

They are a cast aluminum housing with semi-hardened glass lens. The best part is they have a hood on the low beam, so the 9006 can be replaced with HID lamps and not blind oncoming vehicles.

These pics I found elsewhere, they are not of my car. But they do show the Euro lights (the set on the left) compared to the popular Eurolights brand replacement housings. Notice that the lens's are not fluted like the Eurolights brand are, but instead flute the reflector, and also note that the housings are different for high and low beams, where the Eurolights brand are the same housing low and high.

Decided to order a set of the housings, and UPS says they will arrive this Wednesday. They come with 9006 and 9005 clear halogen bulbs and a pig tail adapter like is shown in the pics above. Will put them in with the halogen bulbs, but also plan on ordering a set of 35 watt 5000K HID kits for low, high and fog. That should really improve the headlamps on the bird.

Was wondering if anyone here had done the same, and what they thought of the setup.

Also, real-estate under the hood of the F-body is hard to come by. Was wondering where other members mounted the ballasts for their HID's ? Especially when using 3 ballasts for each side.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects
: Click Here

Mark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Vinnie Madrox

where'd you get them from? are they the same as camaro housings {94}?

http://www.MAGMAlliance.com
Vinnie Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Madrox View Post
where'd you get them from? are they the same as camaro housings {94}?
No, your are much smaller.

OP, those will throw the light all over the road, should have looked into the BBS Lighting housings...

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
V
Stalker

HIDs in those housings will blind oncoming drivers and is also illegal.

the hood is not what controls HID light output. a real projector lens is the only correct way.

in the one pic of the backside of all the lights, the light all the way on the right, one connector off the bulb is brown... thats from getting too hot and is actually burnt, a common issues by just throwing incorrect light setups in without proper gauge wiring and matching amperage draws.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Haven't used those housings as I don't have a 98-02 Bird but I can tell you they will throw light everywhere. It's likely with the halogens, worse with a HID kit. You will get a pretty color but light output will be scattered. There are better but more expensive ways to do HIDs properly in these cars. I've done every combination you can think of so just passing along my info from experience.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
Mark42

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
HIDs in those housings will blind oncoming drivers and is also illegal.

the hood is not what controls HID light output. a real projector lens is the only correct way.....
I too was wondering how the light would be with HID's. People who have done it report no oncoming cars flash, and they also report that the lights do not blind them when in another car. Here is the low beam with 35 watt HID installed. Pretty good cutoff. Not as good as projectors, but good enough that other motorists don't have a problem with them. If they don't work out, I'll just go back to halogens. BTW, the housings are DOT approved they way they come with halogens.

Quote:
..... in the one pic of the backside of all the lights, the light all the way on the right, one connector off the bulb is brown... thats from getting too hot and is actually burnt, a common issues by just throwing incorrect light setups in without proper gauge wiring and matching amperage draws.
The light you are referring to is a H7 55watt halogen bulb. Same wattage as factory. That is the eurolamps.com setup. Don't know why the connector turned color. Probably heat like you said, but it is just a standard halogen bulb. Maybe had a poor connection that causes heat buildup.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects

Last edited by Mark42; 12-27-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Mark42

FWIW..... Here's a view of 6000k HID's low beam with fog lights (HID's too, I believe).

1998 Firebird Coupe

My Firebird Projects

Last edited by Mark42; 12-27-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Crazy light scatter.

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
Old 12-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #9
Blackbirdws6

First pic is too close to the wall to really see how the light is reflecting. The shot should have been taken from 25' at least. Regardless, hot spots are clearly there while the second pic makes it evident the headlights are pointed wayyy downward. Most people do this to avoid glare for oncoming drivers.

Just because people don't get flashed doesn't make it OK to use headlights in this matter. The housings are relatively cheap so I'm not surprised why people buy them. I wasted a lot of $ doing things the wrong way until I built my own projector setup.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Mark42

Quote:
HIDs in those housings will blind oncoming drivers and is also illegal......
Actually, ANY HID CONVERSION IS ILLEGAL. Yep, even if you use DOT approved projectors, the ruling is that putting HID's in a car that was not manufactured with them is illegal.

End of story.

1998 Firebird Coupe

My Firebird Projects

Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
Mike
BadMod

so basically his statement was 100% correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42 View Post
Actually, ANY HID CONVERSION IS ILLEGAL. Yep, even if you use DOT approved projectors, the ruling is that putting HID's in a car that was not manufactured with them is illegal.

End of story.

And your asking about them...

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #13
V
Stalker

yes... i have been aware for a long time that any HID retrofit into a car that did not come from the factory with HIDs in an illegal modification. So please, do not try to get smart with me. Im trying to assist you and i even found that link about ballasts for you. Now you try to imply i don't know what im talking about. Your last comment came across as if you think you know it all better than anyone else, everyone notices these things, hence why you get the responses that you do.

anyways.. illegal or not... people do it all the time.

but heres the thing, some do it right, most do it wrong.
when done wrong, even if you dont get "flashed" by oncoming drivers, and cop can always spot you and if he's aware of HIDs being an illegal mod, he'll get you for "unapproved equipment" regardless if you think the light output is focused.

Now, with proper projectors(not just round "projector-type" looking lenses), the light is cut and spread in such a way that it does appear stock. And to this day I have yet to meet a law enforcement officer that will write a ticket for improved nighttime lighting on a vehicle that does not cause a distraction or discomfort to other drivers (exceptions would be if you did something to warrant his attention in the first place or other items on the vehicle are blatantly obvious).

if you want HIDs, talk to blackbirdws6, or searching for his thread on how he first developed his. You seem to like doing your own fabrication on stuff so this is a perfect task. with the proper components, you'll end up with a better operating light setup and you will be likely to avoid the long arm of the law.

Last edited by V; 12-29-2010 at 06:44 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
Mark42

Quote:
yes... i have been aware for a long time that any HID retrofit into a car that did not come from the factory with HIDs in an illegal modification. So please, do not try to get smart with me. Im trying to assist you and i even found that link about ballasts for you. Now you try to imply i don't know what im talking about. Your last comment came across as if you think you know it all better than anyone else, everyone notices these things, hence why you get the responses that you do......
Huh? Don't read so much into it. I am just sharing what I learned, and reading other posts here and elsewhere, some people thought that by using projectors that made the conversion legal.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, that was not my intention.

1998 Firebird Coupe

My Firebird Projects

Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
Mike
BadMod

Quote:
Huh? Don't read so much into it. I am just sharing what I learned, and reading other posts here and elsewhere, some people thought that by using projectors that made the conversion legal.

caps lock tends to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #16
methdmx

Mark42, I just replaced all 4 lights on my bird with these and the blue tinted bulbs halogen from LMC Truck. They definitely light up the road better than the sealed beams. They're plug and play, so for around $200 for all 4 housings and the extra 4 bulbs (probably can find the bulbs cheaper elsewhere too), I think they are a definite improvement in looks and safety.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
Blackbirdws6

Quote:

Just to clarify, use of DOT approved halogen projectors in place of stock halogen (sealed or w/e) would be legal. Of course when the HIDs get tossed in, its illegal at that point.

Good luck with your choice.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 01-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #18
Slow-V6

So illegal like the cops can give you a ticket or you will have to go to court if caught with then and prove to the court that you have your old lights back in?
1998 Corvette Convertible, Vararam Intake+Power Duct, Fast 90/90, Ti Axleback..12.8@110
2003 Cobra Convertible 10th Anniversary
http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6
Local car cruise schedule..
http://www.cliffscalendar.com/
Slow-V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #19
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow-V6 View Post
So illegal like the cops can give you a ticket or you will have to go to court if caught with then and prove to the court that you have your old lights back in?

Judges/prosecutors arent really doing all that much anymore on account of the lack on NJ state inspection... so the LEO's are doing it a little more vigilante...

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
Mark42

Quote:
Originally Posted by methdmx View Post
Mark42, I just replaced all 4 lights on my bird with these and the blue tinted bulbs halogen from LMC Truck. They definitely light up the road better than the sealed beams. They're plug and play, so for around $200 for all 4 housings and the extra 4 bulbs (probably can find the bulbs cheaper elsewhere too), I think they are a definite improvement in looks and safety.
I installed the housings, same as you, but kept the supplied halogen bulbs (clear). They work very well, concentrating the light much better than the OE sealed beam. The low beam has a very hard cut off (for a halogen bulb) that is probably the reason that HID kits work well with these housings. Took a few pics, but the difference between the oe and the kit just doesn't show well in pics, so I am not posting them. Just be assured that the kit makes a difference you will appreciate when driving. In fact, I am going to raise my low beams because the cut off is quite a bit lower than the the OE, and I feel a little more distance can easily be had without blinding on coming motorists.

Are the bulbs you used a higher wattage than the 55/60 watt bulbs included with the housings?

I paid $139 for the high and low beams delivered, including the clear bulbs and pig tails. The high and lows are available individually, if you like.

1998 Firebird Coupe

My Firebird Projects

Last edited by Mark42; 01-03-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #21
methdmx

They are the same wattage, just coated blue. They give them more of an HID look.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #22
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
They are the same wattage, just coated blue. They give them more of an HID look.
....and less usable light out on the road. Blue coated bulbs may appear whiter, but the actual light output is diminished by the coating.

You will most definitely have better visibility with a quality set of clear bulbs.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #23
methdmx

Hmm didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'll have to swap the clear ones back in and see.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #24
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Hmm didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'll have to swap the clear ones back in and see.
If they are cheap ones that came with the lights, you may not see any real difference, as they will likely be on the low end of the allowed lumen output.

::disclaimer:: I will fully admit that I have sealed beam Silverstars (which are also blue coated) in my Jeep. I bought them before I knew better, and they still perform better than the junk that was installed by the previous owner, just don't have the money for a proper upgrade yet.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #25
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
If they are cheap ones that came with the lights, you may not see any real difference, as they will likely be on the low end of the allowed lumen output.

::disclaimer:: I will fully admit that I have sealed beam Silverstars (which are also blue coated) in my Jeep. I bought them before I knew better, and they still perform better than the junk that was installed by the previous owner, just don't have the money for a proper upgrade yet.

- Justin
Something else about Silverstars:

If you drive with your fog lights on all the time (in addition to your regular headlights) you don't want to run Silverstars there. Sylvania has said that the fog bulbs are not designed for constant on and may burn out fast under constant use.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech