Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
V
Stalker

V isnt shifting right....

ok, i havent really tried to diagnose it just yet, so ill just list the symptoms and whats been going on.

Friday night, drove 4 hours to NJ, let the gas get down to Empty, light came on, just before i pulled into the gas station. Filled up, drove across town home, pulled in my driveway and it felt like i had to yank it out of gear, like the clutch wasn't disengaging. I noticed the car was running rough and actually shaking a little.
I shut it off and restarted, still shaking and i was having a hard time getting the trans into gear while just in the driveway. I shut it off and checked the clutch fluid... well it was basically empty. i was confused but i filled it back up the the proper level and let it sit for about an hour.
I then came out started it up, and tried putting it in gear, it was better now and car was running smooth again. I drove it around during the weekend and back up to NY sunday, no issues.

today i drove it about 60 miles at lunch, no issues at all.
this afternoon i drive it about 2 blocks worth of distance and back and when i pull into may parking lot again, the pedal feels strange again, just liek friday and i am working hard to get it in/out of gear. Fuel level is also right at empty again.

so i go to the gas station and fill it up, and also check the clutch fluid, this time the level is fine and where it should be. While driving i can shift fine, just when coming to stops, slowing down, sometimes it feels like i am yanking it out of gear. And when parked its giving me a hell of a time to get it into reverse. It really feels like the clutch isnt disengaging.

sometimes when its tough to put in first, it will go but makes the car ever so slightly move forward as it goes in.

Do i just replace all the hydraulics? or throw in a new clutch and flywheel too while its apart for the slave. i wouldnt feel right doing just the master if that could be the cause.

and opinions/suggestions/advice?

and the stock flywheel is a dual mass version meaning id need a spacer i think to install a regular LS flywheel.

i may take it to a dealer and have them look at it for me, since with my arm issues i am unable to work on it myself, plus next month i will have surgery so i cant even drive stick for 3 months then. so i may just tow it home next time and deal with it in the spring.

Last edited by V; 12-20-2010 at 04:52 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
V
Stalker

oh, let me add this one bit of info, come spring time, this car will be making over 600hp at the crank....

hence the reasoning for a clutch upgrade( its getting a new driveshaft and full rear end girdle then too)
Old 12-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
DevilDougWS6
11 Second Club

I would go for the whole kit-n-kaboodle on this one. personally I liked the feel of the centerforce dual friction clutch, but had more reliability out of an LS7 clutch and flywheel.

J E R S E Y S H O R E O W N S Y O U
12 Sonic Turbo
07 Malibu SS
04 Silverado SS - Sold
00 Trans Am WS6 - Sold

-.:: United States Marine Corps ::.-
DevilDougWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Formula_Ltx

my car resently has started doing the same an it came after a hard clutch dump into 1st at about 45mph i believe the slave cylinder has either sprung a leak or sucked air either way its most likely gonna be air in the system an needs to be bled or replaced. check to see if anything from the resevior down is wet. an if it dosent like going in reverse which mine dosent put it in before u start ur car this way the input shaft isnt spinning, it will be much easier jus need to use a lil pressure to push the reverse lockout solenoid in
Old 12-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
V
Stalker

there was a ton of debris yesterday in the fluid reservoir. Ive read that its a sign the the seals are going or have went.

I can manage to drive the car for now but soon i wont need to drive it so it can sit till the spring. Then ill just put a new clutch in it.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
Formula_Ltx

jus be carefull dont want the disk to get wet an leave ya stranded lol. but yea sounds pretty much done wish yea luck

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Transmission and Driveline