Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Metal prep question

So I've got some parts that look like this, with the pitting and little rust spots:

I'm using PPG's stuff for the paint job (DP90LF, K36, Deltron, etc) and media blasting is kind of out of the question. I am planning on using DX579/DX520 metal cleaner and conditioner on panels like this to neutralize/remove/convert the rust down in the tiny pits.

Kind of just looking for peace of mind here, since it's amateur hour and I don't want to have adhesion problems with the epoxy.

Is this an appropriate situation to use DX579/DX520 or do I need to go with another method of dealing with the rust? I don't think going harder with a DA sander will work and using a clean-n-strip disc won't really do it.

Has anybody out there used acid treatments for removing/neutralizing rust in a paint job?

Last edited by WildBillyT; 01-12-2017 at 09:17 AM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
The_Bishop
Power Member

You could try Naval Jelly to remove the rust in the pits, then a good wash afterwards to neutralize, followed by the DX579/DX520. I'd contact PPG to make sure this will work well before priming. Epoxy primer?
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bishop View Post
You could try Naval Jelly to remove the rust in the pits, then a good wash afterwards to neutralize, followed by the DX579/DX520. I'd contact PPG to make sure this will work well before priming. Epoxy primer?
Yeah, DP90LF. PPG's sheets list it as appropriate after the 579/520.

I may drag out one of the panels I'm scrapping and try the Naval Jelly on that.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Use something like Ospho, it's pretty nice to work with and I am using it under DP90LF too. You just clean the panel, wet it with Ospho and wait 24 hours. It kills the rust and leaves iron phosphate, then you spray over it. If you're only doing a little bit I can give you some. I've bought 3 gallons for all my projects
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Use something like Ospho, it's pretty nice to work with and I am using it under DP90LF too. You just clean the panel, wet it with Ospho and wait 24 hours. It kills the rust and leaves iron phosphate, then you spray over it. If you're only doing a little bit I can give you some. I've bought 3 gallons for all my projects
Thanks man.

I've heard DX, Naval Jelly, OSPHO, Picklex, straight muriatic... a lot of options.

Ospho is pretty cheap from what I remember. I just can't afford to have to do this twice. LOL.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 01-14-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
vcamaro42769

hit it with a sand blaster...for a couple of seconds .., but epoxy primer will stick to rust i I never do it ... U are by the spingwheel bring it over I can hit it for u

STEPHEN VERSFELT
Motion Auto Art
Show Car web page

http://www.curtismotion.com/index.html
vcamaro42769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #7
The_Bishop
Power Member

Ospho and Naval Jelly are very similar, the main difference being the consistency of it.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #8
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

I got my ospho from amazon. Its not amazing on heavier rust but should be good for this stuff, in my experience.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Restorations, Fabrication, Tool and Shop Tech