Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #26
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
First of all, you should jump off a bridge for spending 7 grand on an LS3.

If I HAD to keep the 4th gen, swap out the LS1 and get an LQ9 aluminum 6.0 out of an esclade for 2-3 grand? Buy the L92 heads for under a grand.

In the real world, Id sell the 4th gen for 8 grand, take the 23k as a down payment on a 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS in victory red cyber gray rally stripes, auto, Boston Accoustics system, aaaaaand I think that wraps it up.

8k would get you a nice 454 lsx stroker long block and no one likes the camaro so quit
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #27
Knipps

"no one" ? Strong words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #28
NastyEllEssWon

meh no one when compared to other competitors numbers
Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #29
HeadlessNorseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Look at that pile of stupid. Like with $15k you'd build an engine with points or factory TPI. The gen3/4s have a weight when aluminum, but the true advantage is the heads.
This. LsX heads are pure magic. Even the truck heads are awesome for factory as cast pieces. Gens 3+'s get so much better mileage because of the massive flow and efficient a/f mixing of the heads, sequential vs batch-fire injecton, and the factory cars run higher fuel pressure. And combine that with modern tuning and timing curves(not sure how different they are). But yeah to the OP for a DD, in the end i would stick with an NA package, large displacment, mild cam, factory intake manifold/tb and ecu. Nothing too fancy. I would stick with as many factory parts as possible and a something that wont need a whole lot of tuning. This will keep it easy to work on and diagnose. And i will always suggest iron blocks over aluminum, but thats just me and a matter of personal opinion. Is this actually a plan or hypothetical?

JSFBOA

Draino?

Last edited by HeadlessNorseman; 05-05-2009 at 08:33 PM.
HeadlessNorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #30
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
gen III has a revised firing order. fuel injection, coil over plugs, 8 coils and is highly much more efficient than a carb would be. tpi wasnt also known to get very good gas mileage stock let alone modded. gen 1 motors also used inefficient points style ignition.
Whoa, coil over plugs!!! Modern teknologes!! Like the ones found on Grand Nationals!
TPI got good gas milage compared to carb or TBI. My 305 would easily knock down 24mpg before I played with it. It got about the same gas milage as my old 95 Taurus with 2 more cylinders and 50hp more.

and not ALL Gen 1's use points. HEI replaced points, then was totaly replaced by the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
I like how not a single person has mentioned a K-member, A-arms, Torque arm, LCAs, SFCs, etc.....how is anyone planning on controlling these beastly motors that they are building?

I would start with full suspension, geared toward the type of driving I would be doing, then build the drivetrain from the back to the front. Good rear, aftermarket driveshaft, built trans, then worry about an engine with what money you have leftover.

- Justin
Well dur...but you went full race. Kmember, A-Arms, etc etc, you are now turning the car into a race car.
At least with my 2nd choice, you can have a car thats already built for handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
meh no one when compared to other competitors numbers
I belive that the Camaro got higher votes here then Challenger, but thats another thread.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #31
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Fun and reliable DD (no snow driving) fourth gen.....here is the recipe.....

Brakes/Suspension:
Front C5 brake upgrade
Track Brackets $250
C5 Calipers (new from dealer, if you're hooked up) $125 each
Factory style rotors (new) $70 each
Hydraulic lines $80
Performance Pads of choice (Hawk HP+, Carbotech etc.)$150

Rear Brakes
Perforance Pads of choice $80
New Rotors $70 each +/-
New Lines $80 +/-

Strano springs $280+/-
Koni SA shocks at all 4 corners $835
Strano front and rear bars $439
UMI LCA (rear) $210 Poly/rod
UMI PHB $130 Poly/Rod on car adj.
Spohn TA $410

17x9.5 factory wheel or aftermarket repro (ZR1's or something similar) $600
275/40/17 Goodyear F1 GS D3's (no snow driving with these) $1000

Brake/Suspension Total $5170

Drivetrain

Moser 12-bolt with all the options and goodies 3.73 gears/true track 33 spline/Relo brackets and TA cover $2900
Stage 5 T56 $2400
QTP Blowproof bell $350
LS7 Clutch Pressure Plate Disc $460
Driveshaft $200+/- Factory LS1 Aluminum with good U-Joints
TicK Performance Master cylinder $340
GM Slave $130
Pro 5.0 Shifter $180
Remote Bleeder $50

Drivetrain Total $7010

Total so far......$12180

Engine TSP 347 Long Block $5900 (any TSP cam you want)

LS6 Intake $300
Headers/Cats/Y-pipe/Cat back $1300

Grand Total $19680 + 320 for the odds and ends......=20,000

For that kinda cash....I'd scrap that idea all together, sell the F-body roller I already own and go by a used C5 FRC like this one.....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Chris

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #32
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

BiGals, why does full suspension have to equal race car? I'd rather have a car (and be around other cars on the road) that handled well and had less power than something with a ton of power and old stock suspension.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #33
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
BiGals, why does full suspension have to equal race car? I'd rather have a car (and be around other cars on the road) that handled well and had less power than something with a ton of power and old stock suspension.

- Justin
Agreed, but full K-members and tubular a-arms, then rod ended jobbers...and then its a fixed race seat with a 15 pt cage, 5pt...
Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #34
NastyEllEssWon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Whoa, coil over plugs!!! Modern teknologes!! Like the ones found on Grand Nationals!
TPI got good gas milage compared to carb or TBI. My 305 would easily knock down 24mpg before I played with it. It got about the same gas milage as my old 95 Taurus with 2 more cylinders and 50hp more.

and not ALL Gen 1's use points. HEI replaced points, then was totaly replaced by the 80's.

Well dur...but you went full race. Kmember, A-Arms, etc etc, you are now turning the car into a race car.
At least with my 2nd choice, you can have a car thats already built for handling.

I belive that the Camaro got higher votes here then Challenger, but thats another thread.

ok your talking about the gas mileage of a 305. while the person in this thread said they wanted a daily driveable 4th gen. it was stated before. now someone had to go and post about gen 1 blocks in here when its known that a built up modded gen 1 motor cant get the same hp and gas mileage ratio that a ls motor car can get.

were not talking about gn motors here either.

i also wasnt talking about votes, i was talking bout look at the sales figures. FACTS DONT LIE. your opinion cant counter them.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #35
BigAls87Z28

Yes, the Challenger has been on sale for a while, Camaro got a half a month of sales, with none in the dealer.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge