Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Connecting my Accusump

I am a little torn on how I should attach my Accusump. I had planned on using the front port on the LR4 (I am pretty sure all LS variants have this port available) it is an M16x1.5 I think and comes from the factory with a plug in it. I had planned on putting a fitting in there and going to either an -8 or -10 AN, but I am leaning towards the -8 since the 1/2 valve for the Accusump is about the same ID as the -8 stuff so it would be a bit of a waste to buy -10 stuff.

Then I found this accumulator adapter that bolts to the oil bypass on the side of the oil pan and now I am wondering if this is a better choice of places to connect the Accusump than the front port.
Both ports are post filter, so I don't have to worry about particle contamination really, I just wonder if that is a better spot to connect is all.
Anyone know anything relevant?

Last edited by PolarBear; 08-07-2013 at 01:20 PM.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Find which one is closer to the bearings you would be most concerned about, I assume crank, and then use it. Although I am assuming they both are a straight shot to the crank bearings if the LSX stuff is same as SBC world. Only issue I can see is if one passage is smaller casting than the other.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
PolarBear

I am pretty sure both go directly into the main galley and that feeds the mains first. Basically it is front of block, or rear. Front would be less hoses, but closer to the bearings I think. The rear would be more hoses, but also closer to the filter and I would think me "reactive" to sucking air? I am assuming that oil goes from the pump to the filter, then into the main galley, right?

Maybe I am just overthinking this entirely.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
LTb1ow

Have you googled this? You get a crap ton of options, TBSS guys, RX7 guys, basically everyone and their mother swaps in LSX stuff these days

I would go with the lesser amount of hose/fittings, lessons the chance of leaks and theoretically makes the reserve pressure hit mains quicker between the valve opening after a pressure loss.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
BonzoHansen
Admin.

what does canton recommend?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
PolarBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
what does canton recommend?
Wow, they were really less than no help. The guy said that he has head of people using the port on the oil pan above the oil filter on the LSx blocks, but they sell a sandwich adapter or remote filter adapter that has a port to plumb in the Accusump. He had no input on using the front oil galley input.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
BonzoHansen
Admin.

maybe ask joshiepoo

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 08-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
PolarBear

I am going to as on FRRAX and see what they say. Some of the guys there are hardcore road racers. I'll see what Josh has to say too

Last edited by PolarBear; 08-09-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
LTb1ow

If this going on your use as is motor for temp, why not do whatever is easiest, beat the snot out of it, and then when you get ready to toss the new motor in, pull the old apart to check mains.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
JSPERFORMANCE
NJFBOA Supporting Sponsor

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
maybe ask joshiepoo
I don't know where this "joshiepoo" thing started but it is running rampid and I am not sure exactly how I feel about it..
Old 08-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPERFORMANCE View Post
I don't know where this "joshiepoo" thing started but it is running rampid and I am not sure exactly how I feel about it..
you friend Jen started it and based on some of your facebook pics I think it is appropriate. so you should feel fine

now answer knucklehead's questions!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
The_Bishop
Power Member

Are you planning to pull a lot of sideways Gs in the car? If not, why the accusump? Mostly just curious.
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
PolarBear

The Holley pan for the LSx has a really small sump, I already had the pan for my planned 3rd gen LS swap because I wanted to use stock manifolds and stock exhaust routing with it. It's advertised as a 5 quart pan I think, but I remember reading/seeing somewhere that the pan only really holds 3 quarts? I was planning a slight overfill, but I cant go crazy, so if I see ANY RR track time I could kill the engine really fast.

Also I figure if I am going to spend $7,000-$15,000 on a new engine that the ~$500 I spend on an Accusump is CHEAP insurance regardless of wet or dry sump (LS3 or LS7). I think I can tuck it up front under my radiator support so it will be out of the way and still protected by the metal front valence from road debris.

Plus I really wanted it

Last edited by PolarBear; 08-16-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #14
The_Bishop
Power Member

Ah, ok. Didn't realize you were using an aftermarket pan. 3 quarts? Really?
1998 Z-28 - SLP lid - Ported TB - LS6 Intake - Dynatech SS headers/Catted Y - Magnaflow Exh - 3.42 - Yank SS3600 - UMI weld-in subframe connectors, Adj LCA, Adj PHB, Q1A TA - Bolt-in Relocation Brackets - Strano springs - Koni shocks - 17" C6Z06 wheels - 326HP/335ft-lbs - 12.35 @ 110.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6 View Post
I can appreciate a dream but this person needed some real friends.
The_Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech