Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
L695speed

AutoX for beginners

Hey all,

I was wondering if there were any prerequisites for the autoX events at the Giants Stadium (I know its metlife now but its always been giants stadium for me). I was advised by a friend to stay away from the road course events til I try a bit of Autocrossing. He said I could in theory take any car I wished and just go have fun. He and a friend took a Nissan Juke to an event.... SO...I'm thinking, maybe me and my brother might make an appearance at the stadium for some fun. I'll take my 2000 Outback (yes the legacy based one) wagon with a 5 speed manual bone stock except for an upgraded rear sway, and he might have his five speed WRX wagon. While not ideal, you gotta start somehow. I know of the autoXforyou site. Just want some input from people who've done the events or know of others that are not on that site. Also are their any fees? There have to be. Just want to know what they are.

I might show up with a Miata, if my plan to get one as a summer daily goes through (providing I have any money coming in) and the TA might show if its done. But I need to know, (other than helmet) if there is anything else they require of cars that will run the course. Roll cages are out of the question for all, though the Miata might have the double roll hoop that you often see on them.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by L695speed; 01-16-2012 at 11:34 PM.
L695speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
88WS-6

First race is 4/7. Novice driver's school is being held the following Sat. 4/14 and if I can afford it I'm signing up. I'll be running my bone stock Suzuki so don't feel bad. I went twice last season and it's a blast. No pressure from anyone and everyone is willing to help you out.

PM me before you go and we can exchange contact info and meet up there. Depending on the weather the NNJR gets a good 70-80 cars split into 3 heats. I'm sure Kevin will chime in when he sees this too...

~Matt

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
- Henry F*rd
88WS-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
88WS-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by L695speed View Post
But I need to know, (other than helmet) if there is anything else they require of cars that will run the course.
Sorry, I just saw that line. Just empty out your car before you go and make sure your battery is completely secured. They have helmets that you can borrow if you need one.

~Matt

- Henry F*rd
Old 01-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

I may try and make it to this.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
198esp1

for novices there are loaner helmets at no charge, if you are not a scca member you need to buy a weekend membership I think it is 15$ if you like autocross that 15 can be applied directly to your scca membership. Car wise make sure the car is clean of any loose stuff including floor mats. One of the biggest issuses I see with the novice people is they dont get to the event early enough, they get alittle overwelmed with everything going on and dont walk the course enough. I have been doing solos for about 10 years and I need at least 3 course walks I try to get 5 but sometimes you cant. We have a mandatory novice course walk right before racing starts but that wont be enough you need to walk it 3 times minimum. Make sure for your first run you have a instructor in the car, making sure you dont get lost on your first run sets the tone for your whole day. Just have fun no matter how your times are compared to everybody else
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
88WS-6

Yea I got there at 6:30am both times last season and helped Perry set-up the course. That's even better than walking it.

- Henry F*rd
Old 01-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88WS-6 View Post
First race is 4/7. Novice driver's school is being held the following Sat. 4/14 and if I can afford it I'm signing up. I'll be running my bone stock Suzuki so don't feel bad. I went twice last season and it's a blast. No pressure from anyone and everyone is willing to help you out.

PM me before you go and we can exchange contact info and meet up there. Depending on the weather the NNJR gets a good 70-80 cars split into 3 heats. I'm sure Kevin will chime in when he sees this too...

~Matt

Where did you find that new schedule? I'm digging all over the autoxforyou site in the sticky and coming up empty. Only finding 2011 stuff at latest. Do you know if you can run the race before you do the Novice school? I am game for doing the Novice school if I can afford it too. Hopefully I fix my front sway bar which snapped and showed signs of stress cracks and rust before I do this. Otherwise this will be pretty entertaining...

I know you can go to PDA track sessions at places like Watkins Glen for $350 for up to two hours of track time. My brother was like well thats pointless and I told him well where else are you gonna wind out your cars? I'd rather shell out for the track day than try to be stupid on the street. However, before going for broke and doing that I shall take my friend's advice and run a few autocross sessions before doing a road course.

Chris
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
88WS-6

Quote:
Where did you find that new schedule?
That website is under construction so Perry emailed the NNJR with this link:
http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/for...85/scope/posts

Quote:
Do you know if you can run the race before you do the Novice school?
Yes you can run without going. I have not gone to any schools yet. Just make sure you register as a novice so you get help from the NNJR novice instructors and be eligible for the other novice benefits like Kevin said.

2012 schedule:

* April 7 - Novice School
* April 14 - Points
* May 5 - Points
* May 11-13 - NE Div Solo Championship
* May 18-20 NNJR National Tour MOVED TBD
* June 2 - Points
* July 28 - Points
* August 4 - Points
* September 1 - Novice/Intermediate School
* September 15 - Points
* September 29 - Points
* October 6 - Points
* October 20 - Points

Make up dates:
* October 13

~Matt

- Henry F*rd

Last edited by 88WS-6; 04-10-2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: 4/10/12 - Schedule changed
Old 01-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88WS-6 View Post
That website is under construction so Perry emailed the NNJR with this link:
http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/for...85/scope/posts

Yes you can run without going. I have not gone to any schools yet. Just make sure you register as a novice so you get help from the NNJR novice instructors and be eligible for the other novice benefits like Kevin said.

2012 schedule:

* April 7 - Points
* April 14 - Novice School
* April 21 - Points
* May 12 - Points
* May 18-20 NNJR National Tour
* June 2 - Points
* July 28 - Points
* August 4 - Points
* September 1 - Novice/Intermediate School
* September 29 - Points
* October 6 - Points
* October 20 - Points

Make up dates:
* May 5
* October 13

~Matt
Ok Awesome thanks. I'll let you know if I go if you want to meet up there. Would be funny to see a Suzuki and a Legacy Outback go at it on the autocross circuit. The WRX if its not totalled after a recent wreck, would do better though.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
88WS-6

I'm going to try and make every race if I can, so feel free to PM whenever. I'm going for some seat time, so at this point I'll drive anything.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
EchoMirage
13 Second Club

its also very expensive for what little driving time there is. msne has had attendance drop over the past few years because they keep raising the price
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

I'm hoping to do the Novice School with my cousin. We've both never autocrossed before. I'm going to put it in my calendar to keep notice that I need to fix my power steering by then
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
88WS-6

The NNJR schedule is now posted on www.autox4u.com

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
88WS-6

Just a reminder for everyone to keep their calendars clear. First NNJR auto-x race is Saturday 4/7 at Metlife Stadium. I'll be there early, hopefully in my IROC.

~Matt

- Henry F*rd
Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
L695speed

Metlife stadium? What and where is metlife stadum? Oh right, they renamed Giants Stadium. Sorry, but it will always be Giants Stadium to me. I fixed the front sway bar on the Outback, my brother wrecked the WRX, but has since picked up a 2.5 RS. I don't know if I'll be there or not. Have to see. If I do go, its gonna be with the 212K mile daily driver.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
88WS-6

Registration for the first NNJR event on Saturday April 7th at Metlife Stadium is now open. Check the autox4u.com site to sign up. I registered for the novice school and 11 of 20 spots are already taken so I'd recommend signing up now if you are interested in the school. I'll be running the Suzuki...

- Henry F*rd
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #17
L695speed

Is there a fee to watch? I saw on the site its 100 for the Novice school, 80 to run (presuming you're not an SCCA member) but I didn't see anything about just watching the action. I would run, but I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to pony up for the temp membership and the cost of running at the same time. I would like to go and watch, talk to people, pick some brains etc. That I can probably handle. I will see, if I'm gonna run I might as well just do the Novice school as its not much more. Then again, a friend of mine ran an autocross in a Nissan Juke, so whats wrong with running an Outback wagon?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #18
88WS-6

Quote:
Is there a fee to watch? I saw on the site its 100 for the Novice school, 80 to run (presuming you're not an SCCA member) but I didn't see anything about just watching the action. I would run, but I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to pony up for the temp membership and the cost of running at the same time. I would like to go and watch, talk to people, pick some brains etc. That I can probably handle. I will see, if I'm gonna run I might as well just do the Novice school as its not much more. Then again, a friend of mine ran an autocross in a Nissan Juke, so whats wrong with running an Outback wagon?
As a non-SCCA member, the school is $115 just so you know. And no, there is no fee to watch. Don't feel bad running the wagon, you'll be fine. I'm bringing my Suzuki out for the school. I'll also be out the following week in the regular event, so if you are going to that we can hang out there.

It is tough to plan on though, because for the points events there are normally 3 heats. You run one heat, work one heat and have one heat off but which order you do that in depends on your class. If you are out in the wagon in stock classes and I have my IROC in CP, I'd be working while you're running and vice versa.

13 spots are filled now in the school so I would act fast if you are trying to decide on going. I would recommend attending if you are interested because the next novice school that the NNJR is hosting is not until September 1st.

The people currently signed up are running:

2000 Honda S2000 (x2)
2009 Corvette
2011 Camaro
2010 BMW 135i
2012 Impreza
2007 A4
2008 Miata (x2)
2005 M3
2010 Mustang
2007 Mustang

and my Suzuki, haha...

- Henry F*rd
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
L695speed

Now if you out run all of them with a suzuki....

I will see, I will definitely come down and watch then, its only like an hour or so to get down there, I used to have a grandmother in Nutley, so the area is not unfamiliar to me. I still run down there for the good food anyway. I will have to steal my brother's helmet or the other one we have laying around...and figure out if I have the cash and sign up before they run out. Koni was having a sale, so i got my shocks/struts for the Trans Am. Even if I thrashed and got the car back together, I still have no motor. So I won't be able to enjoy them yet. Which is why I'm not signed up yet. Like I said, I can pick people's brains and etc. So next time I go down there, I can run something and know some tips already. Perhaps later in the summer I'll run a regular event or two for fun.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:47 AM   #20
88WS-6

I was doing some reading to get ready for this weekend's event and I stumbled upon this:

http://phors.locost7.info/files/Beck..._of_Racing.pdf

Very, very good read. It was written for auto-x but covers all the physics of racing.

- Henry F*rd
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #21
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Part 17 can be summed up in one sentence, taken from GORUCK. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #22
L695speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy View Post
Part 17 can be summed up in one sentence, taken from GORUCK. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
I've said that myself LOL. I actually say that to people who think everything has to be done quickly for a fast time. And they go huh? lol. Don't know if I'm going this time, I'll try, but I'm up in the air. I will try to make it there for a run or two before the year is out.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X