Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation

Notices

Old 05-12-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
BonzoHansen
Admin.

New Jersey Bill to Provide Window Stickers for Vehicles Exempt From Inspection

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE)

New Jersey Bill to Provide Window Stickers for Vehicles Exempt From Inspection to be Considered on May 11, 2015

Legislation (S.B. 1108) to require the motor vehicle commission to issue exempt certificates for motor vehicles not required to be inspected will be considered by the Senate Transportation Committee on Monday, May 11, 2015. Under current law, motorcycles, registered historic motor vehicles, motor vehicles designated as collector vehicles, and certain diesel-powered passenger motor vehicles built before the 1997 model year are exempt from emissions inspections and equipment inspections.

We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (Contact Info Below) Immediately To Request Their Support for S.B. 1108

As exempt motor vehicles are not subject to inspection, no certificates of approval (windshield “stickers”) are issued for them to display. On occasion, the operators of these exempt vehicles are stopped by law enforcement because there is no certificate of approval affixed to their windshield. As a result, the owners of these vehicles must carry all the documentation that is needed to prove their exempt status. S.B. 1108 would eliminate that problem by requiring the motor vehicle commission to issue a certificate of exemption for display on these vehicles.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the New Jersey Senate Transportation Committee immediately to request their support for S.B. 1108

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

New Jersey Senate Transportation Committee

To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:

SenSacco@njleg.org; SenGordon@njleg.org; SenCruzPerez@njleg.org; SenHolzapfel@njleg.org; SenPennacchio@njleg.org

Senator Nicholas Sacco (Chair)
Phone: (201) 295-0200
Email: SenSacco@njleg.org

Senator Robert Gordon (Vice-Chair)
Phone: (201) 703-977
Email: SenGordon@njleg.org

Senator Nilsa Cruz-Perez
Phone: (856) 541-1251
Email: SenCruzPerez@njleg.org

Senator James Holzapfel
Phone: (732) 840-9028
Email: SenHolzapfel@njleg.org

Senator Joseph Pennacchio
Phone: (973) 227-4012
Email: SenPennacchio@njleg.org

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...15NJ1&g=SEMAGA

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 05-12-2015 at 11:16 PM.
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

how can a car made before 1997 be historic?!?! that is what I want to know! lol
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
V
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR294 View Post
how can a car made before 1997 be historic?!?! that is what I want to know! lol
Quote:
Under current law, motorcycles, registered historic motor vehicles, motor vehicles designated as collector vehicles, and certain diesel-powered passenger motor vehicles built before the 1997 model year are exempt from emissions inspections and equipment inspections.
RIF

Last edited by V; 05-13-2015 at 05:22 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
ThoR294
^^^Lover of bad cars^^^ Meet Coordinator

Doh. I'll see myself out...
2003 Toyota Matrix XRS M6 - Lol
ThoR294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I have never had an issue with this, people actually get hassled?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
BonzoHansen
Admin.

no i never have either. but people must be getting bothered somewhere.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 05-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
rockbox

Am I missing something here, or not reading it correctly?
My TA is registered as a 'Collector Vehicle' which makes me exempt from inspection. Every two years I have to go to DMV for the renew and Inspection so they can record my mileage and give me a triangle windshield sticker. The sticker is very similar to the inspection/date sticker on normal vehicles. Yet the above article states "As exempt motor vehicles are not subject to inspection, no certificates of approval (windshield “stickers”) are issued for them to display." I DO have a sticker.

rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Are you a historic vehicle or diesel?

No?
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Collectors - triangle sticker
QQ/historic - no stickers

that must be a typo in the memo

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 05-14-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
Am I missing something here, or not reading it correctly?
My TA is registered as a 'Collector Vehicle' which makes me exempt from inspection. Every two years I have to go to DMV for the renew and Inspection so they can record my mileage and give me a triangle windshield sticker. The sticker is very similar to the inspection/date sticker on normal vehicles. Yet the above article states "As exempt motor vehicles are not subject to inspection, no certificates of approval (windshield “stickers”) are issued for them to display." I DO have a sticker.
I think it may be written poorly.

FYI, DON'T EVER LET YOUR REGISTRATION LAPSE. They may deny you and push you back regular.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #11
V
Stalker

My Dodge Ram doesn't get inspection ('96 2500 Cummins) and I never got hassled. The most that has happened was at a traffic check point one day, as I rolled up the cop looked at me and asked "is this diesel?" I said yes, and he said have a good day. Its pretty obvious even 100% stock that the truck is diesel but i guess the emblems on the doors could throw people off. They say "Ram1500 V8 Magnum" only because that what the truck was from which I got my replacement doors and I have yet to put my original emblems back on. But even like that I don't get hassled.

When I had my '01 SS, I had collector registration and one night a cop stopped me and asked "what kind of fake sticker is that?" Then asked why I would have a roll cage in a collector vehicle, I stared at him until he followed up with "is it a bolt-in?" to which I relied yes. I was quite annoyed, he also tried telling me that my expired license and registration mattered. I told him it didn't. Finally his partner realized I was right, and they let me go, clean and clear.

Last edited by V; 05-14-2015 at 09:41 PM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > SEMA Action Network and Automotive Legislation