Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #26
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

I'm gonna whatever mods are necessary to generate these kinds of results....

http://www.maierracing.com/images/1jesusvillarreal.jpg

bad @$$.........

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:29 AM   #27
ta350

Buy my 4th F-Body, and slap a cam, long tubes, and a few other goodies in at JSP, then paint it when I have the time to work on my own vehicle.... never got around to painting my own truck lol But when I had my firehawk had that one painted the first month I owned it.

Current Vehicle
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
2005 GSXR 750 Street Fighter Flat Black Red Rims
ta350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #28
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
I'm gonna whatever mods are necessary to generate these kinds of results....

http://www.maierracing.com/images/1jesusvillarreal.jpg

bad @$$.........

YANKIN THE PONY WHEEL!!!!!!!!! heh

See it all the time at the dirt track, looks cool and you gotta be going fast to do it, but the truth is much more like pulling a wheelie on a drag strip launch, it is more appearance than result. Cars turn better when they are using both front tires to steer.

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #29
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 198esp1 View Post
the car is on a big diet trying to get down to legal c/p weight 3100 give or take a set of 3.73s mount the wilwood superlites. alignment maybe a cam if santa is good to me. new 710,s for next season.
If you are trying to get the car down to CP weight and you want to give your suspension a hand at the same time, look into the Racecraft drop spindles. It knocks the car down 2 inches, drops I think 10lbs per side, and you swap over to 3rd gen style brakes which there are a ton of great set ups for.

With a spindle drop you can run a longer, lower rate spring for better body control and a longer bodied shock, more fluid means less temp gain and more consistant performance.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #30
198esp1

the racecraft spindle is for drag racing im not sure that bearing will live with a315 v710 i think if it was the cats meow the frrax guys would have somebody running it. they do make a mustang spindle for road racing. my front end suspension is pretty well set up as it is.
198esp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #31
198esp1

that camaro finished 8th out of 49 c/p cars in its third race which happend to be the solo national championship I would say the car is working pretty good ,car makes big hp hooking up a 14 inch goodyear the font end is gona get a little lite sure he can increase the rear rolll stiffness but then it might not pull coming out of the turns its all a balancing act you gota give something to get something
Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #32
Mulletbird

I'm gonna be running CPrepared myself, lol. Due to 60-over bore, as well as heads/cam, which makes it a double-whammy. Ahh well, I don't stand a chance of beating Perry anyways, so what's the big deal? lol.
Mulletbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:01 PM   #33
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletbird View Post
I'm gonna be running CPrepared myself, lol. Due to 60-over bore, as well as heads/cam, which makes it a double-whammy. Ahh well, I don't stand a chance of beating Perry anyways, so what's the big deal? lol.
If you make it out and run in NNJR that'd be cool. That would bring the car count in CP up to like 6 cars/7 drivers which is a nice group to run against head to head. Keeps you on your toes.

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
Old 10-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #34
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
YANKIN THE PONY WHEEL!!!!!!!!! heh

See it all the time at the dirt track, looks cool and you gotta be going fast to do it, but the truth is much more like pulling a wheelie on a drag strip launch, it is more appearance than result. Cars turn better when they are using both front tires to steer.
I'd be pretty proud if I could get my car to do that.....and be fast. If you go the www.maierracing.com and check out some of his builds (mostly mustangs) and some of the videos of the cars he been involved with, they are some impressive looking rides. Full on dedicated cars, not hybrid street/CP cars.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=maier%2Bracing#

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #35
Mulletbird

Quote:
If you make it out and run in NNJR that'd be cool. That would bring the car count in CP up to like 6 cars/7 drivers which is a nice group to run against head to head. Keeps you on your toes.
But I won't be competitive. I used to run in GS with the MX6, and did okay there (3 trophies) plus ran GS in Saginaw Valley and took 2 first places. Not bad for just 2-years. The car is meant to break me into the b2 class for bigger payouts (and money brackets at lapeer, where you get an actual payout). Thus, the bore/stroke, carb conversion, heads/cam with factory suspension that's getting a little worse for wear. I'll finish dead last, but at least have a blast doing it!

EDIT> btw 1qwikbird, are you on Perry's forums? Alot of times, he'll post up new rules, with a cliffnotes, so you get the important parts that'll effect most of us, before it goes up on the SCCA page. Also, there's lots of experts (like perry and mario) on there for pointers and advice and tips and such. Also, I won't be a regular solo2'er, just occasional so practice what I've learned a little, and learn a little about RWD. Plus, it's nice knowing you can handle the car on the edge, incase something should happen on the 1/4 mile that'll require I actually use that vehicular control device known as a steering wheel.

Last edited by Mulletbird; 10-08-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #36
198esp1

mario and perry are good guys you can def learn something by listening to them. a couple of sesons ago mario was co driving my car it was alot of fun to compare yourself to one of the fast guys specialy when i would beat him. it will be great if we can get som fast f-body guys besides me and 1qwickbird to make it out locally. there are some silly fast guys that run with auto x inc. but they dont come up north past delaware.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:14 AM   #37
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

CP would be fun, but if I built a dedicated auto-x car I would have to go street Modified. I like racing against the widest variety possible and you can't get much more variety than a class that almost every 4 seater ever built can fit into. With a few notable exceptions, practically every company has built something that can apply.

I always wondered if someone built an SM car to the limits if it could time close to a CP car. Just the seperation of the CP racing tires to the SM DOT tires would be a few tenths, but could you build an SM car to be with in a second or two of a CP car on a 2 minute long national course?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:25 AM   #38
198esp1

you might be able to get the times close but it will cost you 3 times as much to build the sm car to rules limit.

engines are a wash both need about 500rwp
weight cp gut car interior completely/ sm buy carbon fiber body panels.
cp tires rear27x14 /sm 315 710 not enough to get the power down have to buy traction control 2,000
cp areo lexan spoiler/sm 2,000 wing 1,000 front splitter
pepole forget you get to compete against everybody just compare times thru the pax,thats what the pro class does. National courses are only 45 to 65 seconds long, pro solo even shorter. what ever you build the key is to get out and have fun. I think nationaly sm is starting to lose some car count at events, just so expensive to build a wining car for that class looking forward to see whatever you build.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #39
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

Quote:
CP would be fun, but if I built a dedicated auto-x car I would have to go street Modified. I like racing against the widest variety possible and you can't get much more variety than a class that almost every 4 seater ever built can fit into. With a few notable exceptions, practically every company has built something that can apply.

I always wondered if someone built an SM car to the limits if it could time close to a CP car. Just the seperation of the CP racing tires to the SM DOT tires would be a few tenths, but could you build an SM car to be with in a second or two of a CP car on a 2 minute long national course?
Do you me an F-body at the SM limit? Or something along the lines of what Mark Daddio built? I don't know if the F-body could get light enough to be competative on a national level. Power wouldn't be the issue, controlling it would be.

I posed a question on ffrax and LS1tech looking for pics of a full on CP 4th Gen and some of the discussion mentioned that a well sorted/driven ESP car could trophy in CP, but wouldn't be able to crack into the top 5. No mention of how a 4th gen if prepped would do in SM. I think the AWD cars just have too much advantage in that class. Especially when someone like Mark Daddio shows up in a purpose built machine that is well thought, thoroughly tested and driven by a national level driver. It'd be interesting, I rather take my shot at CP, though...more user friendly.

Someone buy my Firebird so I can buy a roller and go all out and not cut up what is still a pretty nice car......

1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
Old 10-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #40
198esp1

just pull the trigger will you your car is ready just loose the weight.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 AM   #41
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Do you me an F-body at the SM limit? Or something along the lines of what Mark Daddio built? I don't know if the F-body could get light enough to be competative on a national level. Power wouldn't be the issue, controlling it would be.

I posed a question on ffrax and LS1tech looking for pics of a full on CP 4th Gen and some of the discussion mentioned that a well sorted/driven ESP car could trophy in CP, but wouldn't be able to crack into the top 5. No mention of how a 4th gen if prepped would do in SM. I think the AWD cars just have too much advantage in that class. Especially when someone like Mark Daddio shows up in a purpose built machine that is well thought, thoroughly tested and driven by a national level driver. It'd be interesting, I rather take my shot at CP, though...more user friendly.

Someone buy my Firebird so I can buy a roller and go all out and not cut up what is still a pretty nice car......
Mark is an example of what an amazing driver can do. The first full season that Philly Region ran SM, Mark showed up with his old Neon ACR to sort out his new shock package for stock. He entered SM and ran times that would have won the class had he not run it as non-comp. He was racing against some fully sorted out, nationally competitive cars with very good drivers, and he just mad us all look ssssoooooo bad.

Just never talk to Mark about a line or try to get a driving lesson from him. His mind doesn't work like everyone else's. He talks about a foot or a few inches like that is something the average person can distinguish when exiting a slalom into a Chicago box at 50mph. lol

My idea of a fully prepped SM f-body involves a 3rd gen. It is just a lighter starting point with better update/backdate weight reduction options. Drop in an nicely built LS1 backed by a clutch-glide transmission. Keep the 10bolt in the back and through in some 4.33 gears and c-clip eliminators(yes, they are available). Sam Strano proved with one of his IROC's years ago that you can actually fit 315's all the way around on a 3rd gen

Of course, that is a big money build that is currently a winning lottery ticket away.

-Tim

Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #42
Mulletbird

Quote:
Mark is an example of what an amazing driver can do. The first full season that Philly Region ran SM, Mark showed up with his old Neon ACR to sort out his new shock package for stock. He entered SM and ran times that would have won the class had he not run it as non-comp. He was racing against some fully sorted out, nationally competitive cars with very good drivers, and he just mad us all look ssssoooooo bad.

Just never talk to Mark about a line or try to get a driving lesson from him. His mind doesn't work like everyone else's. He talks about a foot or a few inches like that is something the average person can distinguish when exiting a slalom into a Chicago box at 50mph. lol

My idea of a fully prepped SM f-body involves a 3rd gen. It is just a lighter starting point with better update/backdate weight reduction options. Drop in an nicely built LS1 backed by a clutch-glide transmission. Keep the 10bolt in the back and through in some 4.33 gears and c-clip eliminators(yes, they are available). Sam Strano proved with one of his IROC's years ago that you can actually fit 315's all the way around on a 3rd gen

Of course, that is a big money build that is currently a winning lottery ticket away.

-Tim
What is non-comp? I might do that ... see if I can run in the stock class where I'd be close on times, just not get any winnings since my car "technically" doesn't qualify even though it would be close in terms of actual time potential. That way, nobody can rightfully bitch about it (after all, my car's in real rough shape) since I am just doing it for fun...
Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #43
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

non-comp = Non Competitive. Basically he ran with the class, but didn't factory in the official scoring.

-Tim

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X