Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #51
FIcamaroRE92

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdacda13 View Post
What a turnaround. I'm impressed.

In third gen world a Z28 does not equal an Iroc Z. I've looked at too many third gens that were mis-advertised as an Iroc Z, but were really just a Z28.
Years 85-87 had the sport coupe, Z28 and Iroc Z and models. Years 88-90 had either base coupe (89 started back up the RS model as the base) or Iroc. After 90, the Z28 returned as top dog and the Iroc was dropped. There's no such thing as a 1992 Iroc.
Most 90' IROC's were hard tops too, right?
01 Cherokee Sport -4 1/2'' lift 32'' goodyear duratracs
roofrack and other useless off road stuff
WTB: '71 Dodge Demon 340 project car
FIcamaroRE92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #52
bubba428

I have a black 4th gen with a black tail pannel...can I call it a berger too?
the thing tha pisses me off most about 4th gen owners and the stupid **** they say...is the whole LS1/350 thing...that and I know like 5 guys with 3rd gens that SWEAR they have 5 speed autos...cause they count the TC lock-up as a gear
bubba428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #53
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdacda13 View Post
What a turnaround. I'm impressed.

In third gen world a Z28 does not equal an Iroc Z. I've looked at too many third gens that were mis-advertised as an Iroc Z, but were really just a Z28.
Years 85-87 had the sport coupe, Z28 and Iroc Z and models. Years 88-90 had either base coupe (89 started back up the RS model as the base) or Iroc. After 90, the Z28 returned as top dog and the Iroc was dropped. There's no such thing as a 1992 Iroc.
Ehhhhh
IROC was a top trim Z28 from 85-87 to show the similiarity of the IROC Camaros and the street versions. BUT, you could get a Z28 with just about the same options without going to IROC.
IROC got you Bilstiens, 16 inch wheels, larger sway bars and other chassis reinforcements and a bunch of other options standard.
In 88 to 90, there was no basic Z28 trim. There was the standard sport coupe, the RS, and then the IROC-Z.
Then in 90 when GM lost the rights to the name and no longer participated in IROC, the Z28 regained the top trim.

RS was not the base car, it was an appearance package that got you the IROC/Z28's gfx.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #54
NastyEllEssWon

ive always thought the ''tail panel'' was considered a filler panel
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #55
bubba428

only on cars wth an actuall trunk I believe
bubba428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #56
cdacda13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Ehhhhh
IROC was a top trim Z28 from 85-87 to show the similiarity of the IROC Camaros and the street versions. BUT, you could get a Z28 with just about the same options without going to IROC.
IROC got you Bilstiens, 16 inch wheels, larger sway bars and other chassis reinforcements and a bunch of other options standard.
In 88 to 90, there was no basic Z28 trim. There was the standard sport coupe, the RS, and then the IROC-Z.
Then in 90 when GM lost the rights to the name and no longer participated in IROC, the Z28 regained the top trim.

RS was not the base car, it was an appearance package that got you the IROC/Z28's gfx.
I always believed that the RS became the base model starting in 1989? You couldn't get "just" a Camaro. It was either an RS (sporting either V6 {2.8 later 3.2} or a 305 TBI,) or an Iroc, and starting in 1991-1992 a Z28 (with 305 or 350 TPI).
Sorry if my wording is confusing, its late.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #57
BigAls87Z28

Im sorry, there was only the RS from 89 to 92.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #58
HardcoreZ28

Oh Come On!!! You guys are missing the MOST commonly misused automotive term. MOTOR. The Motor is not that thing under your hood with the pistons, cam, etc. That is an ENGINE. Motor's run off of electricity.

The End

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #59
Kat
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Ehhhhh

Actually 87 was the first year that the RS name was brought back. There were only 600 or so cars made that year as a RS and were only allowed to be ordered in Cali.

FWIW the RPO code for the IROC's 88-90 was Z28 not B4Z... Hrmm

88 was just a "Camaro" as the base model. Also that year the LO3 became the standard engine in the camaro's. Yes even the IROC's.

89 the RS became the base model...

Last edited by Kat; 01-27-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 AM   #60
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
Oh Come On!!! You guys are missing the MOST commonly misused automotive term. MOTOR. The Motor is not that thing under your hood with the pistons, cam, etc. That is an ENGINE. Motor's run off of electricity.

The End
A starter is a motor.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #61
jims69camaro

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
It's really just something that pisses off early gen guys because it ignores the history behind it and it misattributes the idea to somebody who was only involved with implementation. I'll bet that most people with a blacked out tail panel don't even know why Berger did it on their special edition.
i'd bet they don't even care. btw, you hit the nail on the head with this one.

further, humans like things that fit neatly into categories. if it doesn't fit into a category, they get upset and don't know what to call it. this is how "naming" things gets put into play. the whole g-machine thing, for instance, is a way to describe resto-modification of an older car with newer parts. g-machine for the increased ability to pull high g-forces on a circular track built to test such abilities. if there wasn't a name for it, one would have been "invented". hence, why people erroneously call a blacked-out tail panel a berger panel, because someone invented it and the terminology spread. it fits neatly in a category, and it easily explains what a blacked-out tail panel is, because when you say berger panel people immediately envision a blacked-out tail panel.

so the blacked out tail panels on mopars and rustnags are berger panels, too, right?

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #62
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims69camaro View Post

so the blacked out tail panels on mopars and rustnags are berger panels, too, right?
Yeah. So is the one on my Nova.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 01-27-2009 at 09:09 AM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #63
HardcoreZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
A starter is a motor.
Exactly....a starter runs off electricity. Just like a wiper motor, headlight motor, blower motor, etc. Wonder if we can call the new electric water pumps motors?? haha

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #64
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Exactly....a starter runs off electricity. Just like a wiper motor, headlight motor, blower motor, etc. Wonder if we can call the new electric water pumps motors?? haha
The motor drives the impeller!

Now is it an alternator or a generator?

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #65
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
Actually 87 was the first year that the RS name was brought back. There were only 600 or so cars made that year as a RS and were only allowed to be ordered in Cali.

FWIW the RPO code for the IROC's 88-90 was Z28 not B4Z... Hrmm

88 was just a "Camaro" as the base model. Also that year the LO3 became the standard engine in the camaro's. Yes even the IROC's.

89 the RS became the base model...
don't forget that the LT was still available in '87.

btw, you made me pull out my books. 2.8 V6 available in sport coupe and LT models. while the 5-speed manual was the "standard" transmission, it was automatically upgraded to the 4-speed auto when the V8 was put in the car. something about the rear not being able to handle the torque from the 350/5speed combo or some other such non-sense.

so in '87 there were 4 models, the sport coupe, LT, Z-28 and IROC Z, plus the California only RS model. i only ordered the factory assembly manuals for the '69 and '87, since at that time i was only interested in those years. i really could have used a '91-'92, since that is what the '87 car will look like in the end. i was hoping to pull it off so that the VIN would be the only way to tell it wasn't a '91-'92, but without the manual i might not hit all of the exterior points that need to be addressed.

factory assembly manuals were available free from MSX International, ATTN: GM Chevy Resto, 1426 Pacific Dr., Auburn Hills, MI 48326, but i don't know if the company is still sending them out for free or not.

if jeff is the go-to-guy for first gens, Kat is the go-to-guy for third gens...

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #66
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
The motor drives the impeller!

Now is it an alternator or a generator?
Same thing, same output.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #67
SRGN

Quote:

The End
Don't put any "Motor Oil" in your engine and see how long it lasts Sorry, I couldn't resist...

73 Camaro 25.3 build TT LS in progress
67 Camaro
99 T/A
Other crap not worth mentioning

SRGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #68
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

4th gens with berger panels have nothing to do with the 60s muscle cars. it came from the dick harrell supercars that gmmg built for berger chevrolet. unless you can find me a 4th gen camaro that had a berger panel before the dick harrell cars were built and they referred to it as a berger panel, you are simply misinterpreting the term.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #69
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:

The End
YES! I'm not the only anal person around here that twitches every time someone says motor when they mean ENGINE!!!!!

And I always thought if the "Berger panel" was gloss black it had a 30/30 cam, and if it was flat black it had a 3/4 cam? And for the record, the 15/16 cam was never a factory option.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #70
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
4th gens with berger panels have nothing to do with the 60s muscle cars. it came from the dick harrell supercars that gmmg built for berger chevrolet. unless you can find me a 4th gen camaro that had a berger panel before the dick harrell cars were built and they referred to it as a berger panel, you are simply misinterpreting the term.
Yes it does. It has everything to do with it. Yes, we all understand gmmg brought back the black tail panel, and thus the term 'berger panel'. But the whole concept was an obvious nod to the old big block cars.

I agree with the sentiment that if you do have one of those gmmg cars i suppose you can call them berger panels (is that what GMMG called them??).

Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #71
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Yes it does. It has everything to do with it. Yes, we all understand gmmg brought back the black tail panel, and thus the term 'berger panel'. But the whole concept was an obvious nod to the old big block cars.

I agree with the sentiment that if you do have one of those gmmg cars i suppose you can call them berger panels (is that what GMMG called them??).
it is a nod back to the big block cars and no, gmmg called them black tail panels

i'm stubborn and i heart my berger panel
Old 01-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #72
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
it is a nod back to the big block cars and no, gmmg called them black tail panels

i'm stubborn and i heart my berger panel
If GMMG does not call them berger panels and they "invented" it then there is no such thing!!!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #73
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

hog wash! they didn't know what they made!!!!

Last edited by sweetbmxrider; 01-27-2009 at 11:40 AM.
sweetbmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #74
BigAls87Z28

GMMG didnt call it a Berger pannel, the clueless 4th genners collectively gave it that name due to the fact that Berger cars had this black out pannel that was in fact something that GMMG/Berger put on thier 4th gens to pay homage to the big block muscle Chevy's of the future.

So Cliffs?
4th genners dont know thier history
Old people want the young people to understand history
4th genners are ignorant

Thirdgens come factory with "Berger" pannels.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #75
91chevywt

The tail panel on my '79 between my tail lights is flat black, I'm going to call it a berger panel from now on since thats the cool thing to do.

Burger Panel?

Also, it extremely bothers me when someone calls a straight 6 a V6, and vice versa. It makes me want to punch a baby.

Last edited by 91chevywt; 01-27-2009 at 11:53 AM.
91chevywt is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge