Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #301
LS1Hawk

I also heard on the news this morning that Toyoda of Toyota is not going to speak at the Congressional hearings.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #302
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1Hawk View Post
I also heard on the news this morning that Toyoda of Toyota is not going to speak at the Congressional hearings.
Why would a retired 96 year old executive of an alien corporation speak in front of Congress?
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #303
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I think that means the current guy in charge.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #304
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I think that means the current guy in charge.
Fujio Cho.

Why would a CEO of an alien corporation speak in front of American Congress?

As a side note, does he speak English?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #305
BonzoHansen
Admin.

News I heard today was they wanted Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda. And he does speak English. Plus they do have interpreters now. Don’t really know why other than to do what congress does best at hearings. Go congressional tough guy.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 02-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #306
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
News I heard today was they wanted Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda. And he does speak English. Plus they do have interpreters now. Don’t really know why other than to do what congress does best at hearings. Go congressional tough guy.
Did they forget that Japan wasn't in America?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #307
LS1Hawk

Yes, Akio Toyoda was the one I was referring to.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #308
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
Did they forget that Japan wasn't in America?
are you retarded? cause something isn't branded made in america means we have to bend over and take it? seriously, you are something special.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #309
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
are you retarded? cause something isn't branded made in america means we have to bend over and take it? seriously, you are something special.
I took it as him saying that a Japanese company is not bound to listen to blowhard American politicians since they are not American. Gee, there's that pesky "doesn't matter that they build in the USA they are still Japanese" thing again. I find it kind of funny that Congress is all upset about possible cover-ups, etc. That type of thing is standard operating procedure in Asia.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #310
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

alls i know is there are dead people and no answers. ****ed up.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #311
BurninrubberGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroman88 View Post
just saw on the news that they may be recalling the corolla as well for a power steering issue
ya I saw that, they just keep digging the hole deeper and deeper..

so your throttle sticks, you hit the brakes but they are also defective, so you go to steer and it doesnt respond...great job toyota

the best part is the vibe, which was recalled, can easily be stopped at WOT with gm's brake systems

Last edited by BurninrubberGT; 02-17-2010 at 11:06 AM.
BurninrubberGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #312
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
American laws do not go past American borders, it's as simple as that. Other countries do not care about what Congress wants to ask, and who they want to question. Seems like you're the retarded one.

What's next, Congress is gonna summon Russian president and ask him about Human rights violations in Chechnya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I took it as him saying that a Japanese company is not bound to listen to blowhard American politicians since they are not American. Gee, there's that pesky "doesn't matter that they build in the USA they are still Japanese" thing again. I find it kind of funny that Congress is all upset about possible cover-ups, etc. That type of thing is standard operating procedure in Asia.
Exactly, they are not.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #313
Frosty

I read that he would appear if requested by Congress but as of right now the US execs are handling it, which is appropriate. Their stock is tanking worse than Enron(ok, slight exaggeration).

There is no Toyoda, there is only Zuuuul(Family Guy reference)
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #314
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I read that he would appear if requested by Congress but as of right now the US execs are handling it, which is appropriate. Their stock is tanking worse than Enron(ok, slight exaggeration).

If he volunteers, that's one thing, but he is not obligated to do anything for the Congress.

Plus there's no point in it anyways, what is congress gonna do? And it's not like if he "lies" anything will be done about it, after all he will be back in Japan as soon as he is done.

Last edited by Tsar; 02-17-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #315
Frosty

Oh I completely agree. It's a catch 22 for him...not going may look shady...going won't accomplish anything in front of Congress.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Old 02-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #316
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
American laws do not go past American borders, it's as simple as that. Other countries do not care about what Congress wants to ask, and who they want to question. Seems like you're the retarded one.

What's next, Congress is gonna summon Russian president and ask him about Human rights violations in Chechnya?

Exactly, they are not.
It does not mean they cannot ask. I can ask you to go jump off a bridge. But it does not mean you have to. I agree he really has no reason to.

And your Russian example is not analogous; this is about a company doing business in a highly regulated market within the US borders.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #317
WildBillyT

Quote:

FAIL. Family Guy?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #318
Frosty

Quote:
FAIL. Family Guy?
Yeeeeessssss, Pete a reference in one episode.(can't remember the movie/show he was referencing though)

BTW, when I want your opinion I'll give it to you, k?

Last edited by Frosty; 02-17-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #319
WildBillyT

Quote:
If he volunteers, that's one thing, but he is not obligated to do anything for the Congress.

Plus there's no point in it anyways, what is congress gonna do? And it's not like if he "lies" anything will be done about it, after all he will be back in Japan as soon as he is done.
Absolutely. Asian companies don't operate like US ones with all of our associated BS or even a similar code of ethics. Theirs is considered much worse compared to ours (by the Europeans).

So, who's going to rent Gung-Ho tonight? LOL.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #320
Tsar
MIR

Quote:

And your Russian example is not analogous; this is about a company doing business in a highly regulated market within the US borders.
My example was referring to asking a citizen of another country to be questioned in front of Congress in order to "get to the bottom" of the "truth", or w/e they want to call it.

Did EU question Bill Gates about "his" monopoly? I'm pretty sure they made the reps get out the anal lube, but Bill Gates.

Congress can fine or w/e they wanna do to Toyota as a company that does business on their soil. However, CEO and Toyota are not the same entity, neither is the CEO obligated to do squat for the Congress. I don't see what's so difficult to understand.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #321
WildBillyT

Quote:
Yeeeeessssss, Pete a reference in one episode.(can't remember the movie/show he was referencing though)

BTW, when I want your opinion I'll give it to you, k?

Sorry, I was under the impression that you had seen Ghostbusters.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #322
Frosty

Quote:
Sorry, I was under the impression that you had seen Ghostbusters.
AH! That's it! I couldn't remember what movie he was referencing, yes I've seen the movies...just having a brain fart so I referenced Family Guy instead.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #323
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:

so the plants that toyota owns on american soil are now part of japan? really?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #324
BigAls87Z28

Then he hangs with his company. I think that it shows arrogance.
They have been playing up the Americanness of it all, but if they are gunna put that guy they have been throwing in every morning talk show for the past month, in front of congress, I hope he gets the same thrashing that the Big 3 got.
I want to hear "why cant you make quality cars like the Domestics?"
I also would love to hear from Sen.Shelby on the matter.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #325
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
My example was referring to asking a citizen of another country to be questioned in front of Congress in order to "get to the bottom" of the "truth", or w/e they want to call it.

Did EU question Bill Gates about "his" monopoly? I'm pretty sure they made the reps get out the anal lube, but Bill Gates.

Congress can fine or w/e they wanna do to Toyota as a company that does business on their soil. However, CEO and Toyota are not the same entity, neither is the CEO obligated to do squat for the Congress. I don't see what's so difficult to understand.
So you are saying congress has zero right to even ask, regardless of the situation? And if the CEO was here in the states does that change the answer?

And CEO and company are the same entity to a degree.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge