Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 06-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #26
84HOtransam
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
You ever see how much power a carb'd LS1 makes? It is as good or better power wise then the EFI, just nowhere near the gas mileage. It also eliminates the need for a computer, which cuts the install cost down by about $500-$700
Exactly - same power with less milage and usually less driveability. Why not keep the EFI (since most used LS1s come with the harness and PCM already) and just spend some time cutting up the wiring harness yourself?

If I ever decided to buy an LS1, I sure as hell wouldn't slap a carb on it.

- Justin
the carb manifold makes about 100 more hp then the ls6 manifod and fuel injection... using that manifold would also take care of the ignition and i wouldnt need to deal with a wire harness and computer...

driveablity isnt a factor at all...my car is insured for limited mileage...

i am just going to stick to a gen 1 small block so i can keep my transmission...
84HOtransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:52 PM   #27
Batman
11 Second Club

You could keep your tranny with the LS1, you just will bemissing a blot hole. All you have to do is get a PCM flashed without the tranny controls in it, but again, you aren't putting an LS1 in a 3rd gen for under $5,000. ANY LS1 I got I owuld tear down and rebuild because chances are it has had the crap kicked out of it. My car is just approaching the 35,000 mile barrier and it is about time to rebuild it, but I bought it to race it. Get a good GM crate engine like the ZZ4 or fast burn 385, drop it in and you are done.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:01 PM   #28
84HOtransam
13 Second Club

Quote:
You could keep your tranny with the LS1, you just will bemissing a blot hole. All you have to do is get a PCM flashed without the tranny controls in it, but again, you aren't putting an LS1 in a 3rd gen for under $5,000. ANY LS1 I got I owuld tear down and rebuild because chances are it has had the crap kicked out of it. My car is just approaching the 35,000 mile barrier and it is about time to rebuild it, but I bought it to race it. Get a good GM crate engine like the ZZ4 or fast burn 385, drop it in and you are done.
i like the fast burn 385..it has d shaped exhaust ports so i would need to use lt1 style headers or manifolds though.....and the zz4 isnt in my power range...
Old 06-28-2005, 04:29 PM   #29
Batman
11 Second Club

You could get the fast burn and swap in a hotter cam also, I think at $4500ish the fastburn is a pretty good deal.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Old 06-28-2005, 10:08 PM   #30
84HOtransam
13 Second Club

Quote:
You could get the fast burn and swap in a hotter cam also, I think at $4500ish the fastburn is a pretty good deal.
it definatly is...but would lt1 headers fit my car?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:02 AM   #31
Batman
11 Second Club

I'm not really sure, I would assume they would with some finagling since the 3rd gen has a bigger engine bay then the 4th, especially if you are dumping the emissions stuff. A Y-pipe may be a problem might have to have something made. Worst case you could always get regular style headers with a bigger opening then the D-port on the heads. I've also heard the ZZ4 with an LT4 hotcam or any bigger cam becomes a nasty motor in a hurry. (I've seen a car with a ZZ4/hotcam setup put 389 to the wheels with an TH-350). I think GM is a little conservative with their HP ratings on the crate engines.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Old 07-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #32
badzracing

I'd buy a used lq9 ( 6.0) and supercharge it( used p1sc kit)...easy 550 horsies could be done for $4000 with the right sources.
badzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #33
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84HOtransam
Quote:
it definatly is...but would lt1 headers fit my car?
the LT1 uses teh same exhaust as a gen1 small block. everything would bolt right up.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #34
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
You ever see how much power a carb'd LS1 makes? It is as good or better power wise then the EFI, just nowhere near the gas mileage. It also eliminates the need for a computer, which cuts the install cost down by about $500-$700
Exactly - same power with less milage and usually less driveability. Why not keep the EFI (since most used LS1s come with the harness and PCM already) and just spend some time cutting up the wiring harness yourself?

- Justin
People do that because its the heads that make the LS motors so great. The intake manifold doesnt really play that huge of a role compared to the heads. Swapping to a carb is a great way to have excellent heads that the LS1 has to offer, but still retain the ease and low cost of tuning thats associated with carbed cars. I dont see anything wrong with throwing a carb on an LS1. Some people dont want to have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of computer programs just to change the amount of fuel that enters the cylinder, when with a carb all you have to do is turn a screwdriver. It definitly keeps costs down and it keeps things simple.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:19 PM   #35
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Quote:
Quote:

- Justin
People do that because its the heads that make the LS motors so great. The intake manifold doesnt really play that huge of a role compared to the heads. Swapping to a carb is a great way to have excellent heads that the LS1 has to offer, but still retain the ease and low cost of tuning thats associated with carbed cars. I dont see anything wrong with throwing a carb on an LS1. Some people dont want to have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of computer programs just to change the amount of fuel that enters the cylinder, when with a carb all you have to do is turn a screwdriver. It definitly keeps costs down and it keeps things simple.
Yea, but the stock intake and FI system is already there, and HPTuners is cheaper than a good carb, intake, and ignition parts needed to run it the other way. I guess it's 6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other for some people, but I think having an EFI car is so much easier most of the time.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:57 PM   #36
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Like I said, some people just dont feel comfortable with fuel injection. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, its just personal preferance.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning