Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 06-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Did a home-made intake block off plate!

As the tittle says, if I had my digital camera, Id have step by step instructions.

Basically in a nut shell, was I took some aircraft grade aluminum and shaped it to cover up the holes on an LT1 F-Body. SLP offers a block off plate when you use their intake set-up but I dont know if anyone else does. As many of you know I love re-working my home-made intake system.

Tools I used:
Brain
Pencil
paper bag
Scissors
Tape
Metal Sheers
Aircraft Grade Aluminum. (not to thick that I couldnt cut, but not to flimsy that it flops around)
Power Drill
Power Drill w/ Stone Grinder
HVAC

My existing intake system consisted of HVAC to a K&N style Cone filter that basically layed on the splash guard floor (unsafe). What I did was take an outline of the area I wanted to block off that was to hold the Cone filter suspended in the air to take air from the forward part of the cone, not just the sides.

I cut out by sight a piece of paper then outlined and placed the paper flat on the surface. I proceded to trace out any an all openings as well as a patern to cut. I cut the metal sheet to down to size to match the paper template that I placed ontop with double sided tape. I then continued to test fit, cut, trim, and shave. Once I had a basic outline that fit, I used a grinding stone on a power drill to smooth the edges out. Once I had a working piece of metal, as well as a paper outline, I marked off the area where the cone would have access to the engine bay. I drew it out onto my paper templet the exact size, and placed the template back on the metal and drilled multiple holes so I could cut a circle out of the metal with the sheers. After getting a close enough size, I proceded to smooth out the circle, untill the cone rubber part that makes the intake seal was secured tightly! I placed the metal sheet where it belongs and from the bottom of the car, I had someone hold the cone up, so we can make the two fit. Once the cone was securely attached to the metal block off plate it was able to rest down, with the cone suspended in the air, in the splash guard area (directly behind the fog lights on an LT1 Camaro) so it can take in maximum air! The ducting was completed with HVAC piping to the mass-air sensor (95' OBD1 Car)

Hopefully I can get some current shots of the completed set-up to finish.

Heres a shrunk version of the paper template I made. PM me for the actual size that you could actually print and use.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
Teds89IROC

awesome, can't wait to see it in person

~Ted
1998 Honda CBR 600F3
2003 Yamaha FX140
Teds89IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Alas the pictures have arrived!

Old 07-02-2005, 07:44 PM   #4
enRo
13 Second Club

That turned out really good man! I never really look at 4th gens up close and under the engine bay, but its just an open space there right?
Old 07-02-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
Squirrel
13 Second Club

what size ducting is that 3in or 4?...i dont have all that space...seems there some headlights in the way
93 TA, Bone stock, 13.8 @ 100 "Beating ****** drivers in ****** LS1's"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/285090241699967/
R.I.P. Tia
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

looks real good man. Now start making a bunch of them and sell them 8)
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
That turned out really good man! I never really look at 4th gens up close and under the engine bay, but its just an open space there right?
Well if its stock, theirs a maze of poor quality plastic boxes that are designed to keep the noise down, and thats about it. It was probably 4 pieces I think that was removed out of the entire stock system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
what size ducting is that 3in or 4?...i dont have all that space...seems there some headlights in the way
Its a 3" Ducting, works well when the car is a mass air, because the size matches the Mass Air Sensor, you could easily get away with larger with a speed density car.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
79dizZy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
looks real good man. Now start making a bunch of them and sell them 8)
79dizZy28 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning