Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 07-02-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
enRo
13 Second Club

The Custom Intake

Refering to Alex's post, I totally forgot about sharing my idea of a homemade intake for a carbed 350.

Now what I'll do is order the K&N Dual Enterence "H.O" carb intake cover (almost like the Dual Snorkel offered on the H.O.s). Then I'll get some chrome/stainless-steel piping, and have them bent by a guy that does exhaust work here in Roxbury. Ill have to do some markoff's on the piping for the perfect spot to bend. After precise measurements, and relocation of the battery, it'll be time to cut holes matching the circumference of the piping (most likely 3-4 inch) in the battery tray and the smog tray. Then, I'll fit it in properly and attatch an adapter piece to it below the trays. and from that point, I'll use dryer duction to route both sides to both foglight holes thus creating a ram-air effect. I've seen something like this done on both a carbed 305 TA and a carbed 350 camaro, and both pledge good gains and both used only dryer ducting. It would be very delicate if exposed right under the hood, but shouldnt be a problem between the rad support and the front bumper. Refer to the pics and excuse my crappy artwork:

And this pic is to show visually where the air would be coming from... the fog light holes on the front of an 85-90 TA bumper.

Of course, I'd have to wait till I get my hands on a 350 to get the proper measurements
Old 07-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

The concept is nice, but IMO it might actually be more expensive with that piping being made. I have a spare 305 Carb Hat in my garage, your welcome to take it for free, and cut off the one snorkel, and re-atach it to your existing carb hat. That way you can have 2. From their I would put on the 3" HVAC piping, its much much more cheaper then custom work.

Or you can just buy one of those Summit, Edlebrock whatever Chrome Air Cleaners. I think their more efficient on a carb'd car. And they keep the engine bay MUCH MUCH more cleaner.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #3
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

I wouldn't use chrome pipe for it. Chrome likes to retain heat, so the ram air benefits would almost be cancelled out but the heat. just my perspective. If its just gonna be a show piece, than go for the chrome, but if its meant to be race hardware, use the dryer ducting. Its lighter and doesnt retain heat as well.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
enRo
13 Second Club

K thanks for the opinions. I got 2 carb hats to use so thanks for the offer I figured the dryer ducting would crunch everytime I close the hood (even with a cown on there. Dryer ducting only comes in 3-4 inch, correct?
Old 07-02-2005, 11:59 PM   #5
bokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
I wouldn't use chrome pipe for it. Chrome likes to retain heat, so the ram air benefits would almost be cancelled out but the heat. just my perspective. If its just gonna be a show piece, than go for the chrome, but if its meant to be race hardware, use the dryer ducting. Its lighter and doesnt retain heat as well.
The problem with dryer ducting is that it has ridges in it. This causes for dead air. So, if you have a 4'' wide tube, your not going to get all 4'' of air to the filter. I've yet to find a better alt. Right now, the only think I could think of is fiberglass, or intake tubing from K&N, or AEM.
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning