Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 07-05-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
iroc89al3

Got new Exhaust(borla), HELP!!!

Whats going on guys? (gals)?<--not sure

I've been a member on here for about 2 years, but never on alot. i have a 1989 Iroc, but im only sixteen and the past year that i have had it, could never drive it without my parents so i never really got interested to much in the boards, but august i am getting my liscence so i will be at all the meets, and on here alot.

The only performance part i have for the car is a brand new Borla cat back exhaust. I was so excited when i was looking around for prices, excited when i ordered it, and excited 'til I layed the whole set-up on my bedroom floor!!! I finally realized that it was only a single exit exhaust. If any of you are familiar with the exhaust you know how it works. but for you like me here is how it works. the exhaust comes out of the cat and into a T as shown in the first picture. The thing is, to be legal and sound somewhat decent, i will have to put the fully closed plate in the right tip in order for it to flow through the muffler. This means when i start it and the little puff of smoke, or when i step on it nothing will come out of the right side. I think this s*cks. I never really sat down and thought it out before i bought it, so it is my fault if my idea doesnt work which is explained alittle later. Also i couldnt belive that with it being SO expensive and such a sought after system it is not set up differently. Here is what i planned up: I was thinking of just putting an elbow piece where the T piece is for the cut out. then flow through the muffler and come out to a split, i believe like the stock exhaust. (my car is at my aunt garage for the winter until we build ours, so i havent seen it in a few months). I have attached another picture of how i think i could set it up. as for the cutout, i always wanted the Mcleod or what ever power plate so i will just install that after the cat. Do any of you f-body owners have the borla set-up? Does this idea sound blown outta proportion for just a simple reason? Again i think it is dumb to have a V-8 and a single exhaust. I am not trying to make this true dual exhaust, just have dual tailpipes that "actually work". Also would a muffler shop be able to fab those two pieces for me? any help at all would be great as i am looking to take the car out soon and have the exhaust installed. Any help at all will be helpful!! thanks albert III

P.s I know i should have bought a different exhaust or had one fabed how i wanted, but i am trying to work with i got. Also im changing the whole way borla set it up but oh well lol
i hope these pictures work, they looked small when i previewed them on photbucket, so if you dont mind please go to the website between the 2 [img][/img] things and save the pictures to a picture viewing program. then blow it up so you can read the descriptions i gave. So sorry for the whole story and the work i make you do to help ME but i appriciate(sp?) it!
iroc89al3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
iroc89al3

sorry for the insult

i just reread my thread AGAIN lol and realized what i typed in the begining may not have sounded right. i ment by (gals)<--not sure, is i dont know if there are any females on the site, not i am not sure if you are really a guy...sorry
Old 07-05-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Just choose one of the restrictive plates to run on the borla if you are worried about the sound. I'm not sure what motor work you are planning on doing, but the open plate won't be all that loud on a relatively stock car.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
iroc89al3

stock

for a while or maybe even for ever the motor will be stock. My dad mentioned running one of the plates with the smallest hole so it still comes out but not overly loud he was thinking that would even it out. but i still hate the idea of that in case the right side is louder....what do you think?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Re: stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc89al3
for a while or maybe even for ever the motor will be stock. My dad mentioned running one of the plates with the smallest hole so it still comes out but not overly loud he was thinking that would even it out. but i still hate the idea of that in case the right side is louder....what do you think?
Unless you are standing directly behind the car you won't notice the difference between the left and right. Get the exhaust on the car and they start swapping plates to see what you like best.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
z2815

i have that system on my 93 i just put a electric cut out on the right side

seventy nine camaro 400 chevy sb th350
some mods
z2815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:47 AM   #7
Batman
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2815
i have that system on my 93 i just put a electric cut out on the right side
I like electric cutouts...I have 2!
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 AM   #8
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

if your running the stock cat it wont be very loud no matter how you set it up...fwiw i ahd long tubes, no cats, borla, no plates...that was loud but I loved it...and yes you can tell the difference from behind the car that more exhaust is coming out one side but its designed like that and is legal...its basically like having an unmuffled exhaust with no plate in which was fine with me
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning