Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #26
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikz28 View Post
1. Oh well. I don't daily drive it or off-road it.
2. I'm obviously going to take that into account when I have it fabbed.

It's been done before by other people without issue. I'm going to give it a whirl when the time comes anyway. I'm curious to know facts why its bad idea, and unless someone can bring up a worthy objection besides "its dumb" or a general "trust me" it will happen. Worst comes to worst, I bottom it out a few times, take it off, and reinstall my SLP catback.
I'm sure hot rod/rat rod guys do it all the time, but they are not using 4th gen Camaros. Here are my thoughts:

- Unnecessary loss of ground clearance. You can hit/drag anything you can't swerve around
- You will have to hang them low enough to handle suspension travel on the road.
- You will have to hang them low enough so that the axle can droop enough to get a tire off if you get a flat.

If you are going to try and do this on the cheap, why not just dump before the axle?
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #27
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I'm sure hot rod/rat rod guys do it all the time, but they are not using 4th gen Camaros. Here are my thoughts:

- Unnecessary loss of ground clearance. You can hit/drag anything you can't swerve around
- You will have to hang them low enough to handle suspension travel on the road.
- You will have to hang them low enough so that the axle can droop enough to get a tire off if you get a flat.

If you are going to try and do this on the cheap, why not just dump before the axle?

Yea, if you do it right and over the axle.. great, but its gonna be a heavy SOB. If you do dumps, its gonna be loud but you won't lose much ground clearance, my X pipe tucked up better than my current catback. Also, most X pipes will not allow for the use of a chassis mount torque arm, food for thought.

I loved my X pipe, it just got old after a warning from the state troopers and lots of nights trying to sneak home at 2am...
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #28
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

http://xhausted.com/

hmmmm......
Old 10-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #29
LTb1ow

Na na, they don' know anything
Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #30
WildBillyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
Well, at least now I can say I've seen it done.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #31
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post

I'm pretty sure I want a full length for noise reasons.

Even with teh suspension completely unloaded, the pipe should be able to go below the axle and still not be the lowest point. It's not so much a matter of cheap as it is a matter of the straightest path.
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #32
WildBillyT

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I want a full length for noise reasons.

Even with teh suspension completely unloaded, the pipe should be able to go below the axle and still not be the lowest point. It's not so much a matter of cheap as it is a matter of the straightest path.
I am not saying you are going to have the exhaust scraping all of the time, I'm saying that that loss of ground clearance could be an issue when you have to straddle something on the road.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #33
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

yeah you will definitely see issues with the pipes leading into and coming out from under the axle. its your car and you seem dead set on it, i guess attack the issues as they come along.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #34
Frosty

Unless you're making major power there is absolutely no reason to go with duals unless it's just for sound. To each their own but IMO you're created a bunch of potential issues with a complicated setup when something a lot more simple works.

To each their own, good luck
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #35
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Keep in mind, this was an idea I had. I'll likely get it done early next year, but its just an idea. I simply don't understand why everyone is so wary of this? Many people have done it, and even if you do go under the axle, it still won't be the lowest point. And even if it does snag something, or scrape, it is just an exhaust. My y-pipe looks like hell and it only has about 12k miles on it. It's a part of driving a lowered car.

The condescending responses just makes me want to do this more. I'm not a guru, but my idea is obviously legitimate, but just because you haven't seen it before, or you would do it differently doesn't make it a dumb idea. Let's be open minded people
Old 10-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #36
Frosty

I'm certainly not being condescending, just throwing in an opinion. I thought about doing the same thing on my '00 z28 but the aggravation wasn't worth it.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #37
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
I'm certainly not being condescending, just throwing in an opinion. I thought about doing the same thing on my '00 z28 but the aggravation wasn't worth it.
Not you Tony, I understood what you were getting at. A few responses though may have came off wrong, regardless of how they were intended. No harm no foul though
Old 10-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #38
LTb1ow

You have had it easy so far..
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthr...highlight=pipe

Apparently if it ain't what the internet says is the right way, its wrong.

That being said, choose your mufflers wisely a nice deep mellow tone is much better than race car sound.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #39
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTs1ow View Post
You have had it easy so far..
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthr...highlight=pipe

Apparently if it ain't what the internet says is the right way, its wrong.

That being said, choose your mufflers wisely a nice deep mellow tone is much better than race car sound.
Hah! That makes me feel a lot better.

I would likely do cats - x pipe - Hooker maxflows - dynomax canister mufflers - rear exit

I love a quiet car, but this setup should make the car SCREAM at WOT. I also plan on eventually going a higher compression heads/cam setup next summer (if I get a job!) so the extra flow and sound muffling is necessary.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...-mufflers.html
for reference

Last edited by qwikz28; 10-27-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #40
LTb1ow

Yea, lucky you..

I am pretty sure TSP and LPP market X pipes for LS1 cars, they are dumped before the axle though. I would find a good welding shop and ask them what the recommend, they may not want a kit and prefer starting from scratch.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #41
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Oh don't worry, that's the whole idea of forums. People trying to pass their opinions off as truth. Personal criticisms are never warranted, but its nice to know everyone is discriminated against equally.

Yeah I think thats the plan. My buddy had exhaust work at a shop in Baltimore that did fantastic work. Not sure I will go that far, but I'd like a system made from scratch as well. What did you end up doing?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #42
LTb1ow

Got an x pipe with sweet thunders dumped before the axle for free, installed it for free, and it was too loud in the end. prob shoulda experimented with new mufflers but traded the whole deal for an electric cutout.

It sounded amazing, and I could prob use it now
Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #43
Grifter

It is no doubt a nice system but still too much money for most people. I commented on this same thread on LS1Tech and mentioned the same thing. I knew someone that bought a Mugen catback for his Integra for something like $900. It's all relative and most people are going to buy it just to say they have it.

I still have yet to see an exhaust that I'd trade my custom Mufflex for.
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #44
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
It is no doubt a nice system but still too much money for most people. I commented on this same thread on LS1Tech and mentioned the same thing. I knew someone that bought a Mugen catback for his Integra for something like $900. It's all relative and most people are going to buy it just to say they have it.

I still have yet to see an exhaust that I'd trade my custom Mufflex for.
You have the 4" Mufflex right?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #45
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
the pipe should be able to go below the axle and still not be the lowest point.
What is lower than that?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #46
LTb1ow

The tire.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #47
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Why not go over axle if you really want dual exhaust? This is a system built with the Sweet Thunder chambered pipes.

Bassani makes a 2-1/2" dual exhaust where both pipes go down the passenger side. That probably weighs less and still makes plenty of power.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #48
qwikz28

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
What is lower than that?
The t-tops.

You can tell by the pics: http://xhausted.com/

And some of the research I had done: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showpost.p...&postcount=230

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL8Jeff View Post
Why not go over axle if you really want dual exhaust? This is a system built with the Sweet Thunder chambered pipes.

[]http://www.sweet-thunder.com/images/testimonials/13.jpg[/]

Bassani makes a 2-1/2" dual exhaust where both pipes go down the passenger side. That probably weighs less and still makes plenty of power.
Over the axle, too many unnecessary bends. Besides, its been done before. Let's try something new. I'm well aware this is risky and is an experiment. It's all in the name of science.

Last edited by qwikz28; 10-27-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #49
LTb1ow

yea but its a hack and wrong.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #50
WildBillyT

Quote:
The t-tops.

You can tell by the pics: http://xhausted.com/

And some of the research I had done: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showpost.p...&postcount=230

I'm well aware this is risky and is an experiment. It's all in the name of science.
When it's done please post up. Just please do a better job than the pics in these links. No crush bent tubing, and fit the pipes well.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge