Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X

Notices

Old 05-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
IROCZman15
10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

AutoCross event June 2 Warminster PA

I am strongly considering participating in this event. I won't know for sure for about 2 weeks, but I put it on my calendar. Its a 90 min drive each way from my house, but it apparently is a good event to go to. I spoke to Billy the Kid (BTK) and Polar Bear about going and they are both interested in it as well. Anyone else interested in giving autoX a try for a day? Its a FUN inexpensive way to push the limits of your car without really punishing the car in the process.

June 2, 2019
$60 for the day
Warminster Community Park,Warminster PA

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...delphia-357230

I am tentative, but strongly considering making it happen.

Anyone else?

IROCZman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
BTK79
Dick Hammer

Definitely in. Just have to finish car upgrades...

1979 camaro ZZ502,TH-400 / Gear Vendors ,3.42 & 2000 camaro SS
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
BTK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I should be there

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Blackbirdws6
Lord of the rings / 10 Second Club / Meet Coordinator

Hmm. I'm interested if others are heading out there.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt
Forever dyno queen / 777rwhp 662 rwtq @ 17lbs / 10.2 @ 140

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Blackbirdws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
IROCZman15

Ok, I am registered for the event.
$55 and done.
I'll probably spend more than that on fuel that day!

Lets hope for good weather. Anyone else interested...registration is open.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
IROCZman15

Just a reminder for anyone interested,

event is in 1 week. signup/register soon

scott is registered, btk is soon prob. maybe polarbear too

Last edited by IROCZman15; 05-26-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #7
Blackbirdws6

Enjoy the autox. I got back from a work trip and won't be able to slip away for the day.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 06-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
IROCZman15

We had a blast!

Scott, Bill and I made it out and their buddy Joe came along but his car wasn't ready so he just hungout this time. Every time I do one of these events there is always a slight bit of uneasyness, but then once I get there I'm super pumped. Beats the hell out of sitting in the lawn chair at a car show, or constantly working on a project car during prime car season, or doing nothing at all with the car. I love seat time in this old brick of iron and always will; even if its still slow.

Left the house at 5:30 am, drove down to Warminster PA. As I predicted, there was nobody on the road and route 202 was a phenomenal drive with only seeing another car every several minutes. Arrived at the location after about 1 hour 45 mins (stopped at a wawa to fuel up and get my second breakfast) Unloaded my car of the floor jack, jack stand, ramp, tucker of hand tools and parts, and walked around. Soon after, the fellas arrive. Scott brought his camaro and he had been there just the day before for the autocross school. BTK Billy brought his blue car with the big block and scott's old wheels because his 4th gen wasn't ready yet. I gotta say, I love hanging out with these guys because the comedy level is off the charts. I have been around them for 2 or 3 camaro nationals and several other car shows and its always a great time; lots of laughs.

We got registered, run through tech, and did car prep. We were all in the same class CAM-T Classic American Muscle - Traditional. There was one other car in our class but two drivers of it; so tow cars technically. These guys were dialed in. Even though their 1969 Chevelle looked a little "rough" it was a purpose built autocroos car and these guys were well seasoned drivers. So 5 of us total in Cam-T. The other classes I am not well versed in, but they were filled with tons and tons of imports and tuner cars. the ALL kicked our ass. Expected

The event had three heats. we were off heat 1, ran heat 2, and worked the track heat 3. We each got 6 runs during out heat. I'll let Billy and Scott write about their own stuff. I ran lap 1 2 and 3 with not instructor. Grabbed an instructor for run 4 and he told me to get on the throttle much sooner exiting cones. Also that my tire pressure was too high. He was right, but I overdrive it in Run 5 and spun out and aborted the run. Run 6 was my best . Even after my 4th autocross event, I still feel very green at this. Definitely need butter tires and more horsepower. The automatic trans and no ABS kills me.. but I am never going to be a competitive, purpose-build race car. it will always be a street car.

We worked the track heat 3 and it seemed a lot of those guys got much more than 6 runs. All day, there was a threat of thunder storms, and it seemed overwhelming mid afternoon, but luckily it never happened. Packed up the car car and drove home. even stopped at my buddys house in Flemington on the way home. About 170 miles on the car. Nothing failed, nothing blew up. I have a weird "pong" unloading sound from a coil spring that maybe just needs to be re-indexed and all of a sudden my seppedomer needle kicks on my dashboard between 0 and 40 mph. at 40 mph its smooth and accurate (as per the TRC app) but it bounces like crazy between 0 and 40 now. its mechanical drive. I put the speedo cable in a year ago and also changed the speedometer driven gear this winter when I changed gear ratios in the rear. will have to check the cable for kinks and maybe lube it.

All in all, a fantastic day. I am an inexperienced autocross drover with a heavy car and ancient automotive technology, but god damn... I freakin enjoy the hell out of it

Photos and videos at this link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iroczm...57708898506317

a few photos

videos are from my gopro. I wont post them here. click the album link and scroll to the end.

Last edited by IROCZman15; 06-03-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
BonzoHansen
Admin.

On the last 2 runs I ran the 2nd half of the course in 3rd gear because I got flagged for DB limit on my 4th run. I went by the sound device in 2nd screaming. The limit 96db, i hit 99. The course was faster then they usually setup. At least I know I could do it in 3rd, motor has plenty of power.

Gotta be impressed by BTK running my (very) old wheels & tires. He could blow them loose at 55 mph on the way there. He usually runs drag radials in the back but they are a bit old and they are a bit of a mismatch with his usual front tires for this type of event. He had to work to stay smooth on the throttle. The steady improvement was impressive. Maybe i should run those tires, that is exactly what I need to work on. I lost all my time on the front half being inconsistent and over driving the course.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 06-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Anti_Rice_Guy
The Mayor / 2009 Member of the Year / Moderator

Social Networks:

Can you school me on the scoring? like Scott for example does that mean he hit one cone, but was a little faster than one of the pros?
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Is English your 2nd language? Did you graduate high school? Your posts make my head hurt.
Team FARM
Anti_Rice_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #11
Blackbirdws6

Glad you guys had a blast. I would have liked to make it but couldn't get free for the entire day.

97 T/A Ram Air Convt

'24 Corvette Z06
17 Sierra 2500HD Dmax
81 Turbo TA
Old 06-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti_Rice_Guy View Post
Can you school me on the scoring? like Scott for example does that mean he hit one cone, but was a little faster than one of the pros?
those are cone penalties. so those times are more or less no good. I'm happy at least my best 2 times were clean, if not too slow. LOL

Those 2 guys only the fast guy has been involved for years. the other guy not so much, hes learning like us. he had a great day compared to earlier in the year.

Last edited by BonzoHansen; 06-03-2019 at 02:14 PM.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Competition Forums > Road Racing / Auto X