Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
HardcoreZ28

Who knows about wiring automatic starters?

My new beater has an auto start in it that was installed by Circuit City a few years ago. Car was my brothers and he never had any problems with the starter.

Well last night I was sitting in my living room and saw the lights blinking because it was running out in my driveway...thought maybe I hit the button since it was in my pocket. Turned it off obviously. Then this morning I was getting ready for work and noticed the thing running again!! And I haven't even touched my keys at all yet. And the button isn't stuck because there's an LED in the remote. I've also noticed a decrease in gas mileage the last few weeks which I thought was from running my AC but maybe the car has been running on it's own all this time.

Have any of you guys ever wired one of these? Is there a simple way to disable one? I know they are a pain to completely remove but is there a way to just kill the power from it to the starter without screwing up my ignition switch power?

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
89 Trans Am WS6

Its really caked to completly remove the system. Is it a DEI brand starter? (Viper,pyton etc)

Those are the easiest and since it was done at circuit city it was probably done one of two ways. By stripping insulation off the cars harness, wrapping the alarm harness around that and taping it up, OR with t-tap connectors. Its probably also in a ball of wires and zip ties under the steering wheel.

Look under the dash and find the alarm/starter box. cut the zip tie and pull the box down to the floor cutting any other zip ties under there. none are fiactory. follow each little wire and disconnect it from the factory harness. Most should be near by and maybe a few in the kick panel area for the door locks and parking lamps.

If they are ttap connectors you can leave the crimped part on the wire and just unplug the spade incase you ever wanna reconnect a alarm or starter it will be easier.

The same process goes for the bigger wires, those are the ones that connect to the ignition. If you look carefully all of them are (or should be) just tapped except two of them go to the same wire. You need to cut both off and reconnect the factory wire.

Once thats done you can throw all that wire in the trash and be free of after market alarm crap!

I know it may sound confusing but if you look at the car it will make more sense. If you still have trouble shoot a few pics ill help ya that way.

PS! I usually save all the inline fuse holders/ relay connectors and relays when I remove these things from peoples cars. Could always use them in something else like wiring up lights or something.
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude (Wifey's Ride)
'89 Trans Am WS6 (Gone but not forgotten-SOLD)
'85 Camaro 6 Banger base model, never left the driveway, 1st car (SOLD)
Http://www.cardomain.com/id/red93ta
http://www.fquick.com/freebird
89 Trans Am WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring