Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Mark42

New Twist on Antenna Mod

The usual power antenna mod involves putting a switch in the pink wire that feeds the antenna up/down relay. With this setup, the feed to the antenna relay can be "opened" keeping the antenna down for listening to CD's or MP3 where an antenna is not needed.

I wanted this functionality, but also the ability to leave the antenna in the "up" position when the car is shut off. Turns out its not difficult to do. This is how I did the project:

Put a three position switch in the center console (on-off-on). Each feed (two of them) from the switch controls a relay spliced into the pink antenna feed. One relay opens the antenna feed when the switch in in the first On position. This shuts the antenna off so turning on the power head will not raise the antenna. The other On position runs the second relay. The second relay opens the pink antenna feed, cutting it off from the powerhead, but also feeds 12v into the antenna feed, manually raising the antenna. As long as the switch is in the second On position, the antenna stays raised, even if the car is shut off. When the switch is in the center Off position, the antenna works normally.

All the parts to do this project were already in my workshop. But if you had to buy the relays and switch, the cost would be about $15.

I could have just done the usual "keep antenna down" mod, but I figured while I was at it, adding a couple of relays only added a little more time to the project.

Now if the car is going to be left outdoors when its snowing, the antenna can be left in the up position to prevent strain on the antenna motor/drive. Also, the antenna can be left up on days when the car will be running errands to help prevent wear and tear on the antenna motor/drive.

I had a Mazda RX7 with power antenna that the antenna wire spool broke after the antenna froze in the down position. Both times this was after rain followed by freezing temps. Power antennas have a drain tube in the bottom to let water out that leaks in through the antenna sections, but some stays behind and under the right conditions, it can freeze causing an antenna failure. Pontiac has this same design.

This mod not for everyone, but it was fun. Would have been more fun if it wasn't 15* in the garage!

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects
: Click Here

Mark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Kudos for your install. I got a standard non powered antenna you can have if you get tired of the whole up, down, up, off, on, flippy thing with the switch.

I just unplugged mine. I listen to Satellite radio 50% of the time, CD's 1% of the time, and the motor 49% of the time. Never really annoyed me that it went up with playing a CD though.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Electrical and Wiring