Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #26
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

its funny because gt-r's are an affordable "super car" (used loosely) and are this pricey to maintain. z06's are about the same price and don't require this special treatment, along with other cars of the same class. i don't see many high hp cars on here or other forums using that special of a fluid to cost over $100 a quart!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #27
BigAls87Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar View Post
All of you who are surprised by the "cost of maintenance" should facepalm yourself

Even my moms Caddy SRX has an "expensive" oil change. Dealer wanted 175 bucks just to change oil. Where's the outrage now?
Your mom is getting ripped big time. 6qts of its the 3.6, 8 qts if its the Northstar. The 3.6 is GMs corperate V6, and the Northstar is about to hit 20. ANYONE spending that more then 50 bucks on a commmon vehicle like that is getting ripppppppped in the ass. Just an FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
Any dealership service on a high end vehicle is like this will be pricey. Someone shoudl look up the scheduled maintenance costs of a ZR1, I bet they aren't far off. As mileage goes up it only goes higher too, Ferrari timing belt service is a $3-5k job depending what model you have.

It does make me laugh when people complain about specified fluids too. There are vehicles out there that are actually that specific in their needs. Most cars can get away with whatever oil, but that ends once you start getting into engines and parts that are getting pushed hard.
ZR1 has a small block chevy with a 10 qt dry sump oil system. While it is hadn built, its simplicity and design make it easy to work on.
I wouldnt be surprised if the ZR1's maint. service intervals are no different then say, a Z06's.
And hey...if you drive it normally without racing non stop...the brakes should last you forever. w00t w00t carbon ceramics. I wonder how much that 11 rib belt is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
its funny because gt-r's are an affordable "super car" (used loosely) and are this pricey to maintain. z06's are about the same price and don't require this special treatment, along with other cars of the same class. i don't see many high hp cars on here or other forums using that special of a fluid to cost over $100 a quart!
Special 0w20, 30, 50, etc oils seem to be popular with higher end vehicles. 100 bucks a quart...amazing. Just breathtaking when you compare the 6spd auto inthe CTS-V that takes 12 qts of Dex 6.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #28
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Your mom is getting ripped big time. 6qts of its the 3.6, 8 qts if its the Northstar. The 3.6 is GMs corperate V6, and the Northstar is about to hit 20. ANYONE spending that more then 50 bucks on a commmon vehicle like that is getting ripppppppped in the ass. Just an FYI.
That's what I told her, and then proceeded to teach Andy (my step dad) how to change oil. One doesn't even have to jack up the car to drain it, I don't know how they could possibly come up with 175 bucks... I think their total comes out to less than 50 bucks, and it takes him less than 30 minutes.
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #29
BigAls87Z28

Yeah...I belive your 3.6 has a cartridge fitler to where you just open up the canister from the top, throw it out, put the new one in, drain it, fill and start it up to check for leaks.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #30
Tsar
MIR

Quote:
Yeah...I belive your 3.6 has a cartridge fitler to where you just open up the canister from the top, throw it out, put the new one in, drain it, fill and start it up to check for leaks.
Yup, simplest oil changes of any car I've ever done it on.
Tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #31
Blacdout96

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSPEEDER View Post
Any dealership service on a high end vehicle is like this will be pricey. Someone shoudl look up the scheduled maintenance costs of a ZR1, I bet they aren't far off. As mileage goes up it only goes higher too, Ferrari timing belt service is a $3-5k job depending what model you have.

Ferrari Enzo - 3,000 mi. Service - $4,400 (USD)
McLaren F1- 6,000 mi. Service - $44,000 (USD)

Quote:
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #32
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

those prices match the cars overall price tag IMO
Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #33
NJ Torque
11 Second Club

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
well there are also lower costing cars with rip off service bills: like the subaru imprezza.
huh?

2008 Sierra Vortec Max. 6.2 swapped, headers, Magnaflow catback, GMPP CAI, NHT optioned tow package.

2006 GTO, 11.48 @ 118.3
NJ Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #34
NastyEllEssWon

subaru charges a lot for their services on their higher end models the same as gm charges higher labor rates for vettes.
NastyEllEssWon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #35
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyEllEssWon View Post
the same as gm charges higher labor rates for vettes.
Which is ironic because they're not THAT bad to work on.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #36
jims69camaro

MELON-FARMER!

that's over the top. i guess the funny part is the douche that pays that much to have his fluids changed. that's like getting jacked from behind and not getting the common courtesy of a reach-around. sure, go ahead and buy your top-end fluids but, cheese-and-rice, do the labor yourself.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #37
PolarBear
Ebearnezer Scrooge/Power Member/Lips

Honestly 150 for labor is not that bad. I took my friends X5 to Princeton BMW for an engine code and oil change. Check the code (Pretty sure it was) $280, change the oil $280, CHANGE the rubber intake Elbow $280, Rubber intake elbow $12. And the elbow was really no different or more difficult than on a TPI f-body. I just about threw up right there in the service department. The owner had never used the service department before and wanted to know why the bill was so high so they got the manager over and he started in on the BS. I told him how it really was and then walked away, then I told the owner to NEVER go back there
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #38
Mike
BadMod

dealer oil changes on my ss were between 125 and 150............

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #39
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

god damn! i need to open a dealership!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #40
Frosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
god damn! i need to open a dealership!
No kidding.
2018 Camaro 2SS Redline package, ESC Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, Might Mouse wild catch can, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts, Drake Muscle Car Wickerbill spoiler

2010 Infiniti G37x-Moonlight White w/Graphite interior. Stock...for now. Xpel XR Black tint(hey it's a mod lol)
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #41
Mike
BadMod

funny idea, since lots of them are closing............never said i used them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79CamaroDiva View Post
It started before I drove your car. I just have to look at it the wrong way and your car poops parts.
Mercerville MotorSports, LLC
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 PM   #42
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
funny idea, since lots of them are closing............never said i used them
i can't imagine its from the repairs!

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Community Forums > Lounge