Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
SteveR
I <3 sheep

Nitrous ?s

Hey, I'm looking to set up nitrous on my '79 T/A. I'll be running a 406 sbc with a tunnel ram and dual quads and I'm not quite sure how to hook it up with 2 4s. I'm running 2 Holley 4160 600cfm vac. secondaries. I've never run it before and I'm also wondering what the do's and don'ts are.
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #2
Slow Z
11 Second Club

So what kind of motor would warrent a tunnel ram? Why not just go with a victor, make more power, have less tuning problems, not have something rideculous poking out of your hood, and have the nitrous system be an easy install? Tunnel rams were cool in the 80's.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
SteveR
I <3 sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Z
So what kind of motor would warrent a tunnel ram? Â*Why not just go with a victor, make more power, have less tuning problems, not have something rideculous poking out of your hood, and have the nitrous system be an easy install? Â* Tunnel rams were cool in the 80's.
I was going to go with a tunnel ram primarily because I had one sitting around. I'm not 100% sold on it so I'm open to suggestions. The engine builder keeps trying to get me to go with a BBC with a Vortec and keep it under the hood and spray that motor instead. The only problem is that that route will cost me like an additional $4k. However, if it looks to be the better route, I'll go that way.
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
Old 05-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I think a Victor would be the way to go. You could drop one plate on it, and the whole thing would most likely fit under a cowl hood. And as mentioned before, it would be much easier to tune.

I would save the tunnel ram for a future 30's or 40's street rod project (if you ever feel so inclined)

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
Batman
11 Second Club

If you go with the tunnel ram your best bet is to buy a direct port kit and drill holes in the manifold (it sucks I know, but that is probably the best way). Either that or run two seperate plate systems activated by 1 switch, but that can be risky. I think the dual 4BBl would be very hard to get the nitrous spread evenly. However your best bet is probably actually to call the companies and see what they suggest. Now that I think of it NOS may make a setup for the tunnel ram intake.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
SteveR
I <3 sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
If you go with the tunnel ram your best bet is to buy a direct port kit and drill holes in the manifold (it sucks I know, but that is probably the best way). Either that or run two seperate plate systems activated by 1 switch, but that can be risky. I think the dual 4BBl would be very hard to get the nitrous spread evenly. However your best bet is probably actually to call the companies and see what they suggest. Now that I think of it NOS may make a setup for the tunnel ram intake.
I checked with NX and they make a dual quad system for my carbs. I don't want to drill the manifold because it's a fairly rare weiand low-rise individual runner tunnel ram. It won't stick that far out of the hood like the normal t-rams, with my L-88 3" cowl, only the scoop and top of the front carb will be visible. I kinda want to use it because I already have the entire intake from scoop to manifold and to start over would be placing about $2k back on the shelf and further delaying me getting this damn car running again.

On a side note, does anyone have a couple website for other engine builders to compare prices? Or websites that carry high end parts like Callies, etc.?
'78 Big Wheel- 2FWFP
Old 05-31-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
camaroracer1992
10 Second Club

in my opinion since ive been running juice for liek 8 years almost, if you need a tunnel ram then def go with a direct injection setup, in all honesty a 800/850 holley on a victor jr intake will do just the same if not maybe better performance for your motor vs the tunnel ram, itll be less weight, less plumbing/wiring for nitrous/fuel and it will fit under a hood. the plate kits nowadays are in excess off 400+ hp. for nitrous kits id go with edelbrock they make much higher quality kits then NOS, even Pat Musi is changing over to them
camaroracer1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning