Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 05-21-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
EVIL90SS

What the F**K !!!...Engine problems

well, after the cam swap...it ran ok, well it started to tap again...soooo...i took off the valve cover and one of my new rockers was turned sideways and the pushrod was bent ...tried pullin it out and snapped in half so i had to take off the intake.....pulling out the lifter to check that too, and it looked odd....yea..it had about a 1/4 inch of metal shaved off of it, and yea...the cam lobe was also rounded off and f-ed up....grrr....say goodbye to my new cam....ohh theres more, so i took the head off to check if it may have bent a valve, nope...but i figured hey..why not change both gaskets...well, the driver side oil passage in the head is broken out twice its size....where did that steel chunk go...hmm i dunno, but i get to lookin at the rear piston and hmm...why atre there a few chunks missing and a few 1/8 in holes in it ? WTF !, and on the head on that same cylinder and equal amount of gouges !!! well thats it for now...i dont know what the hell im gana do but i gata do somethin...the motor has 86k on it.

EVIL90SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:25 AM   #2
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

I smell a forged 496!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
foff667
Keyboard Tough Guy

man that sux balls so friggin bad...wonder what, if anything, is salvageable.
foff667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
12secondv6
Token v6 Guy

What the hell happened?

I think you mentioned it was in a tired condition... but not potentially broken.

Cam swap's aren't too bad....
Old 05-21-2005, 05:22 PM   #5
jims69camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12secondv6
Cam swap's aren't too bad....
they are if you don't use enough lube or break them in properly... assuming it's a non-roller setup. you're gonna have to pull the block and tear it down. the chance that there is other damage that you can't see is a possibility, and if you start spending money only to have that mysterious piece of metal show up again to scrap the new setup...

in the short run, you could get a ZZ motor on the cheap (less than $2000) and run the snot out of it. while you're building something else, even.

Save a life.

N = R* fp ne fl fi fc L
jims69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
BigAls87Z28

Ouch dude...that fuggin sucks.

Makes me scared to start up the engine now....
Old 05-21-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
Fasterthanyou

That's a royal let down. What cylinder had the bent pushrod and how do the valves look in the 8th cyilnder? Got pictures? I can stop by tomorrow if you'll be around. Talk about options and figure out what happened.
If it's only the one cylinder than that's good. You CAN just replace one piston and the rings! What cyilnder got the rounded off lobe?
If you need to rebuild the engine it can be done on the "relative" cheap. The broken head might be the punch below the belt...
A complete rebuild using some better GM heads might be the best option.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #8
EVIL90SS

well heres the breakdown now, im gana have it rebuilt, some higher comp pistons, new bearings, etc, etc, i bought a set or worked 781 casting chevy heads, fully ported and valve job, the guy that is re-building it specializes in bb chevys, hes my bosses nephew or somethin so its gana cost me around 1800 to do the short block, as for the cam and ****...i had to buy another new one cause they wouldnt warranty it, and my old heads, both oil passages on both sides were broken out, here some pics, the motor is out and sitting in the bed of the truck.http://photobucket.com/albums/y86/Evil90SS/ under the truck section

Old 05-22-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

while you have everything apart gasket matching the intake to the heads would be a nice way to pick up some flow and a few extra ponies. also, since the motor is being rebuilt anyway, you can look at a bit more agressive cam than before.
prolly gonna be time to upgrade those injectors once this thing goes back together.
then get jon to tune it and take a shot at 12's

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #10
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Sounds like a rocker arm came loose and got sideways enough to let the pushrod start to come out of place and bend in the process. This is a known weakness. Watch those rocker arms. At least you'll have a set of decent heads on it now.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #11
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I think the whole thing started when the lash was adjusted with the motor all put together. Something prolly got too tight, and damaged a lifter, and anything we did after that just f-ed things up more

Sucks balls that this cam swap is costing you over $2k, but at least you'll have a fast-ass truck when it's done

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #12
EVIL90SS

just dropped it off at the shop today, the heads are massive, fully ported, hes gana gasket match my intake, bore it .30 over, estimated about 9.5 comp with the pistons and heads he gana use and he says he klnows of a few other tricks, he claims that i am gana make a few over 420hp, and paint it orange , this place was cool too...checkin out some of their projects, they were just droppin a 440 with a dominator in some old cuda, its called No Limit High Performance, in matawan N.j

Old 05-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #13
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

While you have the motor out, maybe you should get a higer stall converter. Just a thought.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

sounds sweet matt. i can't wait to hear that thing rumblin again. definately time to upgrade to that 3.5 inch exhaust or the true duals(w/x-pipe) that we have talked about before

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:52 PM   #15
Fasterthanyou

Sounds awesome. Before he gasket matchs the intake you might want to consider going to carb but keeping the computer for spark control and emissions testing. For TBI to support 420hp with your current injectors you're looking at ~26psi of fuel pressure. I've tuned a ~400 crossfire corvette with 22psi, it didn't have idle issues but it's entirely up to you. The TBI would be cheaper but there MIGHT be small issues. Another trick up my sleave is to use a vacuum ref.FPR. This way at idle and high vacuum conditions the fuel pressure will be low and then at WOT it'll go up.
\"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......Then, you have enough horsepower\" - Mark Donohue
Fasterthanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 AM   #16
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

The vacuum referenced FPR is the way to go. I had one but sold it. I also have that SLP stainless dual 3" exhaust that bolts into the stock hanger locations if you're interested.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:14 AM   #17
j0n

420 hp and what...600lb-ft? that thing is gunna ****in fly!
Old 05-24-2005, 01:06 PM   #18
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0n
420 hp and what...600lb-ft? that thing is gunna ****in fly!
If not more....we estimated around 500 ft-lbs before the cam swap. With that cam, a little more compression, and ported and polished heads...well, I can't wait to see how this thing runs

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning