Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 07-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
V
Stalker

need engine spec help and such..just read

ok, i just recently bought back a motor i built over 4.5 years ago, which was sold about 3 years ago. Its a SBC thats not putting out the hp that it should, i'm not sure if its a simple issue of tuning or a possible mis-match of some of the internal components. I'm looking for my reciepts to find the documented specs of the rotating assembly, heads, and valvetrain, but i'm not sure if ill be able to find anything. I plan on dissasembling the engine and getting everything measured and recorded so I can see for sure whats going on, Are there any specialty shops that could help me with this? I can probably send the cam back to where I got it and have them tell me the specs. Parts that make up the engine are dart iron eagle heads, pete jackson timing gears, doug herbert custom grind billet cam, solid roller lifters, crane 1.6 ratio gold race roller rockers, extended length pushrods, msd pro-billet disributor(bronze gear), msd 6a ignition box, weiend stealth intake manifold, holley 750 carb, edelbrock TES headers. One big thing i did notice is that when i opened the valve covers I found that the valves were considerably out of adjustment, being solid lifters, they need to be adjusted and I know neither of the 2 owners after me ever did this. I would also liek to find a shop with an engine dyno that could set this up for me so i can get a realistic rating once i think i have it all figured out. SO, if any of you have advice how i should go about all this or of any shops that can help, id appreciate any info...
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

which iron eagle heads?
do you remember the compression?
a stealth is a smallish intake. if you are going solid normally you are planning to spin teh motor up a good bit and i don't know if a stealth intake will really keep pace very well.

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
V
Stalker

all i think i remember about the heads are that they are dart iron eagle II heads, but im not positive, i just emailed speed-o-mottive about it since thats where i bought it back in dec 2000. the compression i also think is 11.0:1. but once again i'm not positive. The manifold may be too small, what would you recommend instead? oh and the motor is a stroker.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

whats the goal of the motor? are you trying to make a lot of power up top or is this gonna be a lowend torquey motor? Are you gonna keep using the same cam you have or are you swapping that out? If you're just going for a torquey street motor, I'd go with an Edelbrock performer RPM airgap manifold. If you're gonna try to make more power higher in the RPM range, I'd go with a victor jr. manifold. It'll be a lot easier to pick parts for it when you find out all the specs.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:38 PM   #5
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

figuring the smallest iron eagles are 180cc and the most common ones i see used are 200cc i woudl say go for a dart intake, grab a solid roller cam, freshen the block, and plan to spin the thing to 6500-7000.
that shoudl be able to make at least 550hp, not bad for a little pump gas small block

later
tim

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning