Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 07-12-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
enRo
13 Second Club

Running Rich on Start-ups / Code 34

The 88 Formy I got has an L98, and its running rich on start-up. There is an open vaccum line just laying next to the windshield washer reservoir, but there is no air going in or out of it. I am completely new with TPI. What I've done so far is replaced the MAF Burn-off Relay, MAF Power Relay, and the MAF sensor is fairly new. Could it be bad injectors, head, or a vaccuum leak? I also understand that the VSS was replaced as well, dunno if that has something to do with it. I plan on putting new spark plugs and wires on it soon, but I doubt thats the problem.

How can I check the timing? Ive never had a timing problem in any of my cars so Im clueless on how to...
Also, Is there a vaccuum diagram anywhere on the WWW that someone knows of? I really appreciate it!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
Batman
11 Second Club

88 should have the 9th injector for cold start, maybe it is going bad. Is it only when the car is cold ordoes it happen warm also?

For the timing you will need a timing light. Hook up to the battery and #1 spark plug wire and on the driver side above the crank pulley should be a metal tab with numbers on it. You may have to get the wire brush and some PB to clean it to see the numbers. The numdbers are the degrees of timing with 0 obviously being 0. Positive timing is to the left (If I remember correctly) and negative is to the right. Point the light at it and look for the line on the crank pulley and see where it lines up to relation of the metal indicator and that is your timing. To adjust it you loosen the distributor hold down and turn the distributor left or right. Check it, then adjust again if necessary. Not sure optimum for a TPI (sure someone here can help you with that) but +3 degrees is a pretty good start.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
88 should have the 9th injector for cold start, maybe it is going bad. Is it only when the car is cold ordoes it happen warm also?
I forgot to mention its an 87 L98 in an 88 Formula.
I never really got it to warm up yet, but the previous owner said it would feel like its in open loop, and rich. Lots of smoke comes out of the exhaust if it sits for a bit and you give it a quick rev. Thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #4
Batman
11 Second Club

I think 87 had the 9th injector also, look at the back of theintake inbetween the fuel rails you may see an injector. Might be fouled open. Either that or it sounds to me like a bad MAF. The old delco's a REALLY delicate
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Old 07-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
enRo
13 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman
I think 87 had the 9th injector also, look at the back of theintake inbetween the fuel rails you may see an injector. Might be fouled open. Either that or it sounds to me like a bad MAF. The old delco's a REALLY delicate
It was recently replaced. Its a Bosch I believe, it isnt Delco.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
Batman
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyKane
Its a Bosch I believe, it isnt Delco.
either way, ti doesn't take much to screw them up. I went through 3 on the GTA in a couple years.
Chasing 10's
469RWH/437RWTQ
11.05 @ 123
Old 07-14-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
enRo
13 Second Club

Ehhh you know what? Ill just take it to my mechanic and have him fix it. Then all I'll really need is a fin and some fresh new tires and I'm ready to roll
Old 07-17-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
enRo
13 Second Club

Well, I got it to run a little better. When I start the car up for the first time today, the engine was literally shaking (kinda looks like it had a bad motor mount) and it was pinging. But when it surpassed 140* it runs fine, with no flaws. Sometimes it stalls when I put it in drive. Heres a vid if anyone is concerned... this is when it surpassed 140* and ran fine. My DV cam wasnt charged to catch it when it was cold.

It still runs very rich.

Click here for 2 minute vid

*Excuse the clicking noise, i dunno wtf it is lol*

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning