Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 07-14-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
BobonaStick
15 Second Club

Need Help!!

Hey guys, I need a hand figuring out what I should do with this 1988 Pontiac Firebird T/A... It's got a 305 Bored .030 over, custom cam, 9.5-1 comp pistons, stock TPI... Adjustable fuel pressure reg, new tps, maf...

Can't get the car to have any power. At the moment, the car has a dead cylinder, probably detonated a plug... The cat, stock, but new, is clogged, bastard glows cherry red after 5 minutes of idle... I adjusted the timing to 6 degrees btdc, no change...

A friend told me that it just needs a prom chip to reset the fuel/air ratios, but I wasn't sure about that..

Any ideas, comments, anything will be helpful. I need to get this car moving again!
2003 International 4300 - DT466 A5, Jerrdan 21' Rollback, Shiny Simulators.. Bling Bling Rattle Box
- iLLmINDED oNE -
BobonaStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:46 AM   #2
BobonaStick
15 Second Club

As of now... it's running just y pipe, to cancel out the clogged cat... A little better... smells of extreme rich exhaust, or just massive fuel... can't figuer this out
2003 International 4300 - DT466 A5, Jerrdan 21' Rollback, Shiny Simulators.. Bling Bling Rattle Box
- iLLmINDED oNE -
BobonaStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #3
tastyle88

injecters

it is possible the injecters or injecter is stuck open if it is its dumping too much gas will cause to run like crap will cause cat to glow red and not only that if cat gets too red it will start your carpet on fire i know it happened to me if no codes u may want to put in new injecters bruce
Old 07-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #4
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

A good custom tune will really help out (as long as the injectors are working). Change your plugs and wires to make sure you are getting spark in each cylinder, and then make sure the injectors are good. Once that is done, get to work on a new tune

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
The Fixer

Sounds like you're getting waaaaaaaay too much fuel. Make sure that adjustable regulator is set properly (around 45 psi with the vacuum line at the regulator disconnected).

Former Toy - '88 Monte SS - had lots of mods...
The Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:37 PM   #6
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Maybe running lean? but that doesnt mesh with the fuel smell...I know that when you run lean, it gets way hotter than running rich so maybe thats why the cat is glowing. Just a thought. oh wait, I'm a moron. I really doubt he's running rich because he has a "custom" cam wich is probably bigger than stock. That means more air going in, but no chip to make more fuel go in too. I'd say get the thing tuned and check your plugs as soon as you can.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning