Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
drmuffin

1995 z28 questions

So a couple of months ago I picked up my 95 Z28, it had about 170k miles, and its an auto. I am picking up another LT1 off a friend of mine that had less miles on it, and i plan on getting it rebuilt. I am also going to be doing a auto->m6 swap on it.

I have a Cold Air intake on it right now. I do not know much about the car other than what the guy told me. I didn't really own it long enough before i got deployed. Now something i want to do is put the SS style hood on it, i was looking on Hawksthirdgen and found a hood that i liked

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...iberglass.aspx

and there was a ram air kit at the bottom of the page... would ram air be the way to go? or should i just leave what i got on it?

I was also looking at getting LE2 cam set up, and heads polished from them, they said i could make about 400 hp with that set up? I already have a magnaflow exhaust, and hooker mid tubes, but was thinking about switching over to long tubes, leaving the exhaust the same when i swap the motor out. Do you think 400 is attainable with just that? what else am i going to have to do for the car to be able to support that amount of power?

Thanks for the help guys.
drmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

its a good looking hood. if you already have a cold air intake, I wouldn't bother with the air box. its too expensive for the minimal gain you may see. le2 heads can support a bit over 400 wheel horsepower. Cam choice will determine whether or not you get there and how high you have to rev. You need to factor in the type of driving the car will see and how you want it to drive and feel. Throwing a very big cam in a car that you drive every day in any weather that is a dog down low won't be fun at all. That being said, the m6 will not eat up as much power as an a4 with a decently sized stall so your number goal of 400 hp is quite achievable. I would definitely go with long tubes, you have a cat back and intake so thats good, you could consider an electric waterpump and depending on budget, porting your intake manifold and using a larger throttle body. You will need larger injectors and a strong valve train to support the extra rpm and valve springs/cam lift. Ask questions and we can continue to suggest items for the build.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
drmuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
its a good looking hood. if you already have a cold air intake, I wouldn't bother with the air box. its too expensive for the minimal gain you may see. le2 heads can support a bit over 400 wheel horsepower. Cam choice will determine whether or not you get there and how high you have to rev. You need to factor in the type of driving the car will see and how you want it to drive and feel. Throwing a very big cam in a car that you drive every day in any weather that is a dog down low won't be fun at all. That being said, the m6 will not eat up as much power as an a4 with a decently sized stall so your number goal of 400 hp is quite achievable. I would definitely go with long tubes, you have a cat back and intake so thats good, you could consider an electric waterpump and depending on budget, porting your intake manifold and using a larger throttle body. You will need larger injectors and a strong valve train to support the extra rpm and valve springs/cam lift. Ask questions and we can continue to suggest items for the build.
thanks for the info! i definitely want a daily driver type cam i don't want anything too aggressive and i want it to pass inspections. So cold air vs ram air intake doesn't matter all that much?

also Long tube headers, what would be a good one to go with? I am still on my deployment so when i get back to the states i plan toh ave my "build sheet" ready to go to start picking up parts and piecing together my motor. My friend is picking up my new LT1 block sometime this week so i will already have that.

ive read that stock internals on the LT1 can stand up to 500 hp i dont want anywhere near that much, nor do i know if its a proven fact. i just want to make sure that it can hold up to 400-450 im not concerned about what my number will be at... ive got an idea of the parts i want to put on it i just want to be on the safe side so i am planning on a higher number for safety of the motor.

does you happen to know a reputable shop to do all the checks and then rebuild a motor with stock internals (am i going to need to buy all the internals or do the shops have all the parts and thats part of what they charge?) and about what should i expect to spend on that?

I apologize if i seem to be jumping around a lot... i haven't had much sleep in the passed 3 days. thanks again for any and all help.

oh here is a pic of my ride.

does it seem like it sits a little high to anyone else or just me?

-Erik
Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Blacdout96

Go with Bilstein struts/shocks, and Eibach springs, that'll solve that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmuffin View Post
thanks for the info! i definitely want a daily driver type cam i don't want anything too aggressive and i want it to pass inspections. So cold air vs ram air intake doesn't matter all that much?
this is going to be of most concern with the direction of the build then. 400 whp all motor and pass emissions isn't really going to happen. you can definitely build a fun, powerful car still. I feel you are better off with the cold air intake unless you score a sweet deal on a used setup.

Quote:
also Long tube headers, what would be a good one to go with? I am still on my deployment so when i get back to the states i plan toh ave my "build sheet" ready to go to start picking up parts and piecing together my motor. My friend is picking up my new LT1 block sometime this week so i will already have that.
well technically speaking, the long tubes wouldn't pass inspection. most likely you will be ok with them though so long as you have the air and egr hooked up to them aka no "race" headers. you will also need two cats in your y-pipe. to be honest, I would consider keeping the mids you have now so long as they have air and egr hooked up. hope there is a cat in the y pipe now too. i would wait on the long tubes if you ever go non-emissions with the car. it just makes more sense to me to do it that way but others may say differently.

Quote:
ive read that stock internals on the LT1 can stand up to 500 hp i dont want anywhere near that much, nor do i know if its a proven fact. i just want to make sure that it can hold up to 400-450 im not concerned about what my number will be at... ive got an idea of the parts i want to put on it i just want to be on the safe side so i am planning on a higher number for safety of the motor.
the biggest thing I would be concerned with is good oil pressure with your build. stock pump with the gm "white" oil pump spring should do you well.

Quote:
does you happen to know a reputable shop to do all the checks and then rebuild a motor with stock internals (am i going to need to buy all the internals or do the shops have all the parts and thats part of what they charge?) and about what should i expect to spend on that?
i would check around with local shops and see what they are charging. js performance could get the short block done for you as well. compare pricing and go with who you are most comfortable with. you could also look into doing a decent rebuild like this http://www.ellweinengines.com/Ellwei...Kit/355Kit.htm but again just use it as a suggestion and talk to the ones who will be building it and gather their opinion. most will suggest the stock crank cleaned up and a set of forged pistons and rods with new rings. the block may only need a hone or may need to be over bored.

Quote:
I apologize if i seem to be jumping around a lot... i haven't had much sleep in the passed 3 days. thanks again for any and all help.

oh here is a pic of my ride.

does it seem like it sits a little high to anyone else or just me?

-Erik
thats a good looking lt1 for sure

read around on either of these sites to better understand what you are doing. email both companies and talk about your goals and how the car will be used. they get paid the good money because they know a couple things most don't.

http://www.elliottsportworks.com/lt1.html

http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProductsCK.html

this is also a good guide for you to look at

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25032

any more questions, ask away!!! it gives me something to do
Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
drmuffin

thanks very much, things are starting to look pretty good. I will ask more questions as i look through these sites a little more.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > General Tech