Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 04-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Brando56894
15 Second Club

!front swaybar

what are the disadvantages to this? i would think that there would be a handling difference, but kasey says that there isnt any in his car. just wanted you POV on this
- Pancake Bunny Club Member #3

OG!
Brando56894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
Little G
Lifetime Power Member

You will notice that it will understeer a whole lot. If you are accustomed to taking turns pretty tight and are not willing to give that up, don't do it. I've been running without a sway bar for a while now and I just know what my car's limits are without them. It all has to do with what you are willing to live with in the name of ETs. Get rid of those heavy ass ground effects and I'll know you're serious.

g
Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827
Beater: 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Little G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #3
Brando56894
15 Second Club

i guess im not serious then

OG!
Old 04-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #4
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

I guess I don't push my car too hard, lol. I didn't feel much diff... and from being in your car/watchign your drive brandon you dont take turns nearly as hard as I do now (I've calmed down a LOT) so I still say go for it... and rip those GFX off, theyre heavy, and honestly it looks better without em... they look tacky with the like 2-3mm gaps between the GFX and the body.

Kommandant
of the ACL (Anti Canadian League)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTb1ow View Post
Junk the pos, spend the money on beer, acquire headache.

Same result cept this headache doesnt last months.
Savage_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #5
Brando56894
15 Second Club

oh well im keepin them on!

OG!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

dummy

oh and I showed brandon the... handling limits... of my car earlier, I think it was enough for him to want to ditch the sway now. lol.

Kommandant

Quote:

Old 04-12-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
V
Stalker

...i dunno... i guess ill never understand the concept of stripping every luxury and ounce of weight from a daily driver. I get why james and craig do it, but kasey and brandon now too.. its contaigous. these are still your daily drivers. are you going to seriously be competing for the quickest v6's or just wanna get in the 13s? Are you both planning to do future mods or always be around 14s? maybe its just me, but i like my SS to be fully loaded, full tank of gas, full stereo system and I ran low 13s bone stock. But i know everyone has an opinion of what they want to do to their car and i respect that. AS for me, i will never give up my a/c of stereo system, ill just make sure my motor will compensate for the weight.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingSS
...i dunno... i guess ill never understand the concept of stripping every luxury and ounce of weight from a daily driver. I get why james and craig do it, but kasey and brandon now too.. its contaigous. these are still your daily drivers. are you going to seriously be competing for the quickest v6's or just wanna get in the 13s? Are you both planning to do future mods or always be around 14s? maybe its just me, but i like my SS to be fully loaded, full tank of gas, full stereo system and I ran low 13s bone stock. But i know everyone has an opinion of what they want to do to their car and i respect that. AS for me, i will never give up my a/c of stereo system, ill just make sure my motor will compensate for the weight.
true that home skillet. I ditched the swaybar on my old bird because the endlinks snapped taking it off and i never bought new ones. I can't remember why i pulled it off but there was a reason for it.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
GP99GT
Mr Fantastic

i think brandon needs all the handling help he can get, with all that swerving he does on the parkway

B18B1 FTW
GP99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
jaysz2893

i wrecked my car due to the massive understeer in an emergeny manuver. I had the sway bar off. I dont reccomend it. i feel that if it was on the front would not have plowed as bad. I say just get good endlinks and keep em lubed. THen when itis time to go to the track, take the end links out. Just my 2 cents
jaysz2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #11
Brando56894
15 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP99GT
i think brandon needs all the handling help he can get, with all that swerving he does on the parkway

im kinda half and half on it, some ppl that have done it say that there isnt a handling difference at all and others say that there is..... i guess i could take it out, see how it liek it, and if i dont just put it back in. thats the only true way i can tell if i wanna do it i guess...

as for the AC i never used it so it was dead weight to me..... same with the EGR i never used it

OG!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:02 PM   #12
IcemanSS

Ok some one with a 4th gen answer me this, did you notice anydifference at the track withou the sway bar in? A 10th of a sec anything. I have wondered for a lond time what would happen if I removed it, just for the 1/4 mile...
Outlaw Motorsports of South Florida Founder #1
http://olms.11.forumer.com/
IcemanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:36 AM   #13
Brando56894
15 Second Club

just taking the sway off wont give you a tenth, the rule pretty much is for 100lbs (1600 ounces) you gain a 10th. take the sway off and 3 of the seats out and then you might see something

OG!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #14
jaysz2893

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanSS
Ok some one with a 4th gen answer me this, did you notice anydifference at the track withou the sway bar in? A 10th of a sec anything. I have wondered for a lond time what would happen if I removed it, just for the 1/4 mile...
all i noticed it the weight transfer seemed better. I had sticky DR's on too. I put new shocks on the rear and the car feels the same now with the sway bar as it did without it during a launch. The only advantage i hear of not running the sway bar is the better transfer of weight, that hepls keep the tires planted. I guess you could see an inprovemnet over stock, but a good set of drag springs can do the same thing
jaysz2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
project89

without the sway bar u just get better wieght transfer, its not really worth it to ditch the bar,the friggen bar wieghs what 10 pounds tops.
#1 1989 RS - 3.0L V6 11.0-1 CR, LIGHTENED CRANK,J.E FORGED PISTONS, CUSTOM 280/284 .575/.575 116LSA ROLLER CAM, PORTED HEADS, PORTED INTAKE,CUSTOM TURBO KIT W/ BW S475,AW INTERCOOLER,METHANOL INJECTION, TCI STREETFIGHTER 700R4 W/ TCI 4,500 STALL,TWIN WALBORO 255'S & 83# INJECTORS
268 rwhp & 367.6 ftlbs @ 10 psi 3.1l
12.30's @ 112 3.1L @ 9 psi
??.?? @ ???? 3.0L @ 18 PSI
project89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #16
V
Stalker

im pretty sure they were originally referring to removing the front sway bar, not the rear. The front sway bar is basically useless at the drag strip so removing it would just drop a little weight, BUT like brandon said.. every 100lbs equals 1/10th of a second so removign it would only give you maybe a .02 second better ET... which i dont think is worth it if for some chance you need to make a sharp manuver while driving to the track, only to wreck because of understeer.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #17
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
im pretty sure they were originally referring to removing the front sway bar, not the rear. The front sway bar is basically useless at the drag strip so removing it would just drop a little weight, BUT like brandon said.. every 100lbs equals 1/10th of a second so removign it would only give you maybe a .02 second better ET... which i dont think is worth it if for some chance you need to make a sharp manuver while driving to the track, only to wreck because of understeer.
The weight of the bar isn't as big of a factor as the weight transfer on launch. Having the front bar bolted up will cause less weight to be transferred to the rear tires by limiting the extension of the front suspension.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #18
IcemanSS

Thanks guys for clarifing. I will use this the next time I go to the track.
Outlaw Motorsports of South Florida Founder #1
http://olms.11.forumer.com/
IcemanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #19
Ian
Banned Camp Director Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
The weight of the bar isn't as big of a factor as the weight transfer on launch. Having the front bar bolted up will cause less weight to be transferred to the rear tires by limiting the extension of the front suspension.

- Justin

people remove the front sway bar so that the front end will "unload" better. with the bar in and connected, it limits the movement of the front suspension, but with it out the front suspension gains a lot more movement and travel distance. Allowing the front suspension to move more freely, you gain a lot of weight transfer. No one removes the bar for weight savings, its only removed for improved launch characteristics.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #20
WayFast84

Quote:
Well sometimes, peoples luxurys dont work. or they have a HUGE! lack of power, and need all the help they can get I say take the ground effects off, how ever its gonna cost alot of money if you want it to look nice with out the rivits.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #21
Brando56894
15 Second Club

the ground effects are stayin on!! and my dad came up with a good question, does anyone make electric A/C systems instead of pulley driven ones?

OG!
Old 04-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
Savage_Messiah
2007 Member of the Year

Quote:
get why james and craig do it, but kasey and brandon now too.. its contaigous. these are still your daily drivers.
Craig's car is his daily driver

Kommandant

Quote:

Old 04-16-2006, 10:36 PM   #23
V
Stalker

yeah i know craigs is too, but he went full out, kasey, y do you still have a radio then? lol

as for the sway bar, ok so you launch better...but you still have v6s... hehe
Old 04-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #24
NJSPEEDER
NJFBOA Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando56894
the ground effects are stayin on!! and my dad came up with a good question, does anyone make electric A/C systems instead of pulley driven ones?
not that i am aware of.you can get an electric water pump, little g has one and it works great. supposed to free up 5-7rwhp

New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:13 PM   #25
Brando56894
15 Second Club

yea i know about the water pump, i was j/w cuz it would be weight reduction and no load on the engine and you could still use the a/c

OG!

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech