Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

Talking sway bar

guys i own a 3rd gen camaro and i was talking to a friends about some stuff i could take off the car for wight redauction...and he said i could take off my front sway bar.....has anyone ever done taht and found a differance in driving it....or should i leav eit one there...
Kid Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #2
alamantia

it wont handle as well, but its a few lbs you can save at the drag strip
alamantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

well i thats what i mena is it going too hurt anything too were it will affect my driving and will i notice a big difference
Old 01-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
alamantia

it will effect the drivability of the car and you wont notice much in gains at the track, leave it in
Old 01-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

iight...thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
alamantia

i mean you may pick up like 0.01 of a second in the quater for losing 15-20lbs but is it worth having the car handle like ass every other day of the week. I had a 91 RS similar to yours and when i broke a swaybar link in the front it was very noticable. Id just remove the spare tire and back seats if your really that hard up on droping a few pounds at raceway that one wendsday night your jonsin to beat on your car, just my opinion though, i had the most sucess getting my 91 lead slead to get down the quater mile in under a year by swaping the 2.73 for 3.73 and getting a prom burned, that was a 305 TBI 700R4 though, dont know what you have
Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

well i run a 15.2 right now on a stock tpi 305 700r4.....the spare tire is ouit and the back seats r coming out.the a/c is all coming out smog pump nd i am thinking about taking the power stering out too...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
alamantia

do you drive the car as a daily driver as well? doesnt sound like it if your taking all that stuff out. What gears are you running? And have you upgraded the prom from stock?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

whats prom....and i have 373 in the rear...and yes i do drive it as a daily driver its got a litl over 200k on it ...
Old 01-08-2007, 10:28 AM   #10
alamantia

Prom is the "chip" which gets installed in the ECM, the cars computer, if you find a company like (PCM's for less) for example or a similar prom burning company and call them and explain what you have done in terms of modifications to your car they will custom burn you a prom. If you decide to look into this PM me and i will give you the contact info of someone at PCM's for less i trust will give you the best advice. I dont rememebr what it costs to have a prom burned but I remember it being around $100 - $150 like 10 years ago.

As for removing smog pumps, AC Power stering etc., Id simply id look into simply re routing the belt first by passing those accessories, maybe even install an underdrive pully on the balancer but if yu drive thecar every day, removing those things will really inhib the drivability for pretty unsubstancial gains. When the A/C is off its not putting any drag on your motor, as for the power stering and smog pumps there is probably a way to bypass them without removing them. Those parts dont weigh that much eather, maye the compressor is a few pounds.

It depends what you want to use the car for but not having A/C, power stering, that just sucks, not having smog pumpks on a car that was origionaly equiped with them is for one illegal if you get caughty and the car may not pass inspection, the O2 sensors may even throw a code off in teh ECM all for a 1/4 second... just some things to consider
Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

If I remember correctly, the rule of thumb is that for every 100 lbs you lose you get .1 in the quarter. Axing important parts on a daily driver for such a small gain is foolish IMO.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

well i dont use my back seats dont use the ac and as far as i know the smog pump aint working caus ei dont have cats any more..
Old 01-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #13
HardcoreZ28

I agree with what alamantia and Billy are saying....don't go removing too many of the "creature comforts" if it's a daily driver. If your A/C doesn't work and you don't plan on spending the bucks to fix it then you can remove it. The smog pump can get you in trouble at inspection time so if you remove it keep it around to reinstall during inspection time. And don't forget to plug up the diverter valves if you remove it or you'll have one hell of a leak.
As for removing the p/s....why the hell would you do that? That whole assembly might add 20lbs to the car...if that. And manual steering a car setup for power steering is not an efficient arm workout.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
BonzoHansen
Admin.

I thought the sway bar thing was more about transfer then weight reduction, maybe the real drag racers will chime in. If so, disconnect the end links at the track, race, and then bolt them back in. But does mean you need to be able to remove them, so do it at home first. Often they rust to the point where they just break coming off. A new set of links (a few bucks) might be requires. And a few wrenches.

‘iight’ <-- really, what is this?

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
Knipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I thought the sway bar thing was more about transfer then weight reduction, maybe the real drag racers will chime in. If so, disconnect the end links at the track, race, and then bolt them back in. But does mean you need to be able to remove them, so do it at home first. Often they rust to the point where they just break coming off. A new set of links (a few bucks) might be requires. And a few wrenches.

i explained last time, i'm not gonna follow you around and put it up every time

Quote:
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #16
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle 454 View Post
i explained last time, i'm not gonna follow you around and put it up every time
I missed, I'll go look!

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #17
Knipps

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showpos...1&postcount=11

Quote:
dumbass.
Knipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #18
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevelle 454 View Post
alright, extremely compressed
essentially the same as OK
Rriiiigggghhttttt. So like somethng Flavor Flav might say. Gotcha. Bring the noise.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #19
alamantia

Quote:

I could see if the sway bar was keeping the front end from coming up, but the sway bars purpose its to try and keep the lower control arms parallel around corners so the body does not roll, on straight acceleration both control arms should drop down evenly and the sway bar will rotate with the control arms. Becides, were talking about a 15 second street car. No offence Kid Racer buit its not like its a 9 second SS/DA camaro with ladder bar suspension and 15" slicks carrying the front wheels over the 60' mark. I dont think you will benifit from weight distribution.

When I was 17-18 I had my 91 RS and my father was the service manager at Vale Pontiac, if you remember that place, every saturday I would bring my car in and try and tweak it and work on it with what little money i had after spend the rest of my $100 week paycheck on my GF and beer and Id always ask the mechanics how to better my car, you know what the respoonce i always always always got was, "you like your car? Leave it alone" of course my stubborness and arogance prevailed and I did everyting in my budget possible to that thing, sold it for much less than i put into it and financed a LS1 and said to myself, "Damn, i waisted so much time and money, i should of just left my RS alone" then i said "Damn, i turned into one of those mechanics", damn! Do it man, rip that baby apart, your just dieing to, do it, learn how teh rest of us did... LOL

YEahhhhhhhhh Boyyyyysss

Last edited by alamantia; 01-08-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #20
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreZ28 View Post
I agree with what alamantia and Billy are saying....don't go removing too many of the "creature comforts" if it's a daily driver. If your A/C doesn't work and you don't plan on spending the bucks to fix it then you can remove it. The smog pump can get you in trouble at inspection time so if you remove it keep it around to reinstall during inspection time. And don't forget to plug up the diverter valves if you remove it or you'll have one hell of a leak.
As for removing the p/s....why the hell would you do that? That whole assembly might add 20lbs to the car...if that. And manual steering a car setup for power steering is not an efficient arm workout.
Whoa, hang on. I missed the power steering thing.

Don't remove that. Especially if you want to run somewhat of a decent tire up front- and this is assuming you convert to a manual box and not just a disconnected power box.

If you have never driven a manual steering car I suggest you do so before you even consider this. As for a non-powered power steering box, forget it. It will work, but poorly.

Last edited by WildBillyT; 01-08-2007 at 01:38 PM.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #21
alamantia

yeah dude, my dads old X77 had no power steering, i had to work out for like 3 years just to get that thing around a corner, granted it has a big block, no power stering is no fun, of course i dont suggest this but if you want to see what its like just go SLOWLY down a windy hill throw it in nutral and see if you can steer it, if you smack a pole it was a bad idea. Seroiulsy, i miss my 3rd gen, it drove real nice, not worth removing the power steering
Old 01-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #22
Kid Racer
15 Second Club

iight i wont take the power stiring out...
Old 01-08-2007, 01:56 PM   #23
alamantia

im tryin to think if i have my old prom somewhere... hummm... I know i put the stock one back in when I sold it... you have the "E" motor right? If so I can look for it if you like, lemme know....
Old 01-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #24
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

I don't see the big deal with not having the power steering, as long as you plan on swapping in a mechanical box. I have driven several different cars without power steering, and I never had any trouble with them.

Kid - it all depends how far you want to go, and what you are willing to live with. Some peoples idea of a must have is totally unnecessary to someone else. If you don't plan on fixing the AC, get rid of it. The entire system weighs a little over 50 lbs in a 3rd gen.

The sway bar is a debated issue, but if you are looking for everything you can get out of the car, then get rid of it. It's 15-20 lbs off the nose of the car, and not having the endlinks connected will allow the suspension to droop easier.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #25
alamantia

another thing i just thought of was that my 91 came with lexan T-tops, there was a TSB on them delaminating so if you had this issue you could bring them to the dealer and GM;s fix was to put the glass ones in. If you bought the car used there is a chance the previous owner complained about the lexan ones delaminating and the dealer replaced them with the heavy glass ones. If you have the glass ones you can pick up a pair of lexan ones for dirt cheep or even borrow someones when you go to the track, im sure and thats a few more lbs you could save right there.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech