Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 06:08 AM   #1
Mensaf

Say I wanted good handling...

It's getting to that time where I'd like to change my suspension before it gets too soft. I was taking a look at all the different things offered to us, and have come up with the Bilestien/Eibach pro-kit combo. LCAs would be done as well, along with the relocation brackets.

Now, am I missing anything you think? Anything I should do while it's all apart anyway?

Also, if anyone knows any links with good pricing or group buys for said parts, it'd be appreciated.

Last edited by Mensaf; 05-15-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Mensaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post
It's getting to that time where I'd like to change my suspension before it gets too soft. I was taking a look at all the different things offered to us, and have come up with the Bilestien/Eibach pro-kit combo. LCAs would be done as well, along with the relocation brackets.

Now, am I missing anything you think? Anything I should do while it's all apart anyway?

Also, if anyone knows any links with good pricing or group buys for said parts, it'd be appreciated.
Our sponsors, JSPerformance and RPM Resto+Custom run deals for parts. I know RPM is running an LCA group purchase right now.

If you don't have them already, I would look into a set of subframe connectors first. While the stuff is apart I'd attack some of the undercarriage with a wire brush and a rust preventative paint to prevent future corrosion.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Mensaf

I always hit the potential rust areas with good ol' POR-15 after cleaning them up. I'm going to check out our sponsors' stuff later today.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
deadtrend1
11 second club / Moderator

I would do subframes first. But its your money.

1996 Trans Am WS6 •Pacesetter Longtubes •Strange 12 Bolt •Spohn Suspension •11.152 @ 123.85
deadtrend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
1QWIKBIRD
11 Second Club

I have Strano's springs, sway bars and Koni's SA and its a very nice combo, don't know how it stacks up to what you are considering, but the Strano package is very well thought out.

1999 Formula 6spd (The driver)
1997 2500 Ext. Cab Dodge 4x4 CTD 5spd (The Earth Mover)
1970 Nova 5spd (The toy)
1QWIKBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD View Post
I have Strano's springs, sway bars and Koni's SA and its a very nice combo, don't know how it stacks up to what you are considering, but the Strano package is very well thought out.
I know a lot of third gen guys on TGO used to run the Bilstien / Eibach Pro Kit combo after having Sam revalve the shocks to match the Pro Kit.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
ar0ck
Resident Camera Guy

Social Networks:

I ran the SLP Eibach/Bilstien combo and loved it. It was an excellent handling combination. I didn't think the car was low enough so I changed it up two more times after that.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
//<86TA>\\
Power Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
I know a lot of third gen guys on TGO used to run the Bilstien / Eibach Pro Kit combo after having Sam revalve the shocks to match the Pro Kit.

- Justin
the most popular setup on TGO right now is koni yellows and the prokit, the adjustability of the koni is nice, as the bilstiens dont have that feature.
________
Toys live

Last edited by //<86TA>\\; 05-04-2011 at 06:36 PM.
//<86TA>\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Mensaf

^But the lack of that feature is what keeps them from blowing and making another thread titled "****ing Konies are leaking," no? I was looking at those or AGX for adjustability, but I've only had AGX in the past.

Also, aren't the Bilestiens the only ones valved right or something?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
^But the lack of that feature is what keeps them from blowing and making another thread titled "****ing Konies are leaking," no? I was looking at those or AGX for adjustability, but I've only had AGX in the past.

Also, aren't the Bilestiens the only ones valved right or something?
For a performance application, stay away from KYB shocks/struts. They are for run of the mill DD's for the most part.

The Bilstiens do not not from the factory valved correctly for aftermarket springs - they are designed to work with stock springs. For best performance you'll need to get them revalved (Sam Strano is local and can take care of it easily).

- Justin

Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Don't get hung up on adjustibility. Too much adjustibility can be bad. And Mr. I <3 the taste is right, SFC is the #1 thing to do.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
Mensaf

Doing it all together. Since I don't own a welder or anything, I was thinking of getting the bolt on SFCs and then taking the car to someone to get those welded together. Dice? No dice?

Also, does anyone have Sam Strano's contact info handy?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
Doing it all together. Since I don't own a welder or anything, I was thinking of getting the bolt on SFCs and then taking the car to someone to get those welded together. Dice? No dice?
It is not uncommon to install SFC's this way. Just make sure that you take care to make the car straight and level when you bolt them in. You don't want to add wedge to the car when you don't mean to.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
Mensaf

Ok, all I need now is someone kind enough to give me this Strano character's contact info, and my next post here will be the results.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Ok, all I need now is someone kind enough to give me this Strano character's contact info, and my next post here will be the results.
http://www.stranoparts.com/

- Justin

Old 05-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #16
01SS

depending on the mileage your strut bearings might be rotted once I had my struts apart I realized that they were in pretty bad shape plus a bad tierod end. just be prepared for extra costs. My Eibach pro kit ended up pretty low in the back, granted I have a 100lb. speaker box in the back but its about a 1 inch diff right now and looks like ass. Handleing is alright but I actually had to cut an inch out of my bumpstops and it is still bottoming out (also only using stock replacement kyb shocks in back). Gonna try to remove the bumpstops alltogether and maybe get better shocks for back. Let me know if you wanna see how bad it looks ill send you a pic. Im not all for buyig top of the line **** but you may want to consider it with this cuz my ride quality is absolute s**t right now.

And just putting this out there this thread pulled in 12 responses within the first 24 hrs. To help back up what I was bitching about in my suspension post.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #17
Blacdout96

I did UMI SFC, Tubluar LCA's and I have a Tubular Panhard bar, but now since i just got Eibachs in, I got to buy an adjustable Panhard bar, cause when you lower your car, you need an adjustable PHB to recenter your rear. I also have relocation brackets to be going on as well, and also I picked up from Suspension Techniques the 35/25mm sway bar combo, believe me, my car does not lean in corners lol, but yeah KYB's are like for DD and spirited racing, but go with Koni's or Bilstein's if your looking for a little more for your buck. I have the Bolt in SFC cause I dont have a welder too ,and I have had no problems with them. The nice thing is if you have something you need to work on, you can take them off and out of the way, and if you ever do get a welder, clean up the area, and take off the paint and weld away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 05-19-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:01 AM   #18
IROCdan330
12 Second Club

Koni stuff comes with a lifetime warranty, you may want to keep that in mind. That in itself to me was worth the extra money.

I run koni yellows/eibach prokit, the pro kit rear spring rate is exactly the same as a stock iroc spring rate, and didnt lower the rear of my car at all. The front spring rate is a lot heavier and dropped the nose an inch or so. Everything else in the rear of my car is Spohn, no complaints.

SFCs are the first thing you should do before any modification to the car...I know Josh @ JS Performance does an awesome job with installing them, and his price is very reasonable considering he does a lot more than weld them in. He is also a dealer for UMI and can recommend different suspension items based on what you want for the car.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #19
procamaroz28

what really helped my car was BMR panhard bar, BMR subframe connectors, and BMR lca's loved how my car handled after!

BLK 07 CTS M6 2.8
procamaroz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #20
SuperSweet

I haven't changed the springs or shocks yet, but i have installed UMI LCA's, and PHR. That alone helped alot. I put a set of 315's on this weekend and that REALLY helped. I had to grind down the inside of the wheel a bit, but was worth it. Like said above though SFC are a must.

-Jay-
COD-MW2=X02ssMaroX XBOX LIVE
02 SOMSS-M6-,Volant CAI,TR55's,UMI LCA'S and PHR, Longtubes & TD's w/ sweet thunder bullets 315-35/17's. 349rwhp/372rwtq
SuperSweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #21
Tru2Chevy
Co-Founder / Site Admin

Social Networks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSweet View Post
I haven't changed the springs or shocks yet, but i have installed UMI LCA's, and PHR. That alone helped alot. I put a set of 315's on this weekend and that REALLY helped. I had to grind down the inside of the wheel a bit, but was worth it. Like said above though SFC are a must.
You shouldn't have to grind the wheel at all, and you don't want to do that anyway. What's it hitting on, the bumpstop?

- Justin

Old 05-20-2008, 09:27 PM   #22
qwikz28
13 Second Club / Moderator

Social Networks:

koni shocks were the best mod i ever did to my car. comfy ride and great handling. i have the same setup as qwikbird by the way... qwik cars and great suspension
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #23
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

my rears didn't clear the bump stops....so i cut em off. barely clears like that
Old 05-20-2008, 09:52 PM   #24
HardcoreZ28

Definitely do SFC's, springs/shocks, lca's w/brackets, and if you have any money leftover I'd suggest panhard bar and torque arm. As stated above I'm a dealer for Spohn and can install all of the above mentioned products.

1989 IROC-Z Media Coverage:
Chevy High Performance - Readers Rides 4/03
GM High Tech Performance - Tech Article 3/06
Chevy Rumble - Tech & Feature Articles November 2006
Auto Restorer Magazine - Feature Article 5/11
SkinAndSteel.com
HardcoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #25
SuperSweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
You shouldn't have to grind the wheel at all, and you don't want to do that anyway. What's it hitting on, the bumpstop?

- Justin
Misunderstood i think. On the inside of the the wheel where the bead of the tire has to pop over in order to seat is where i grinded. The bead of the tire was soo thick that it wouldn't budge over the tiny hump. It almost had a square look to it so all i did was round it off.

BTW: These are on the stock wheels.

-Jay-
COD-MW2=X02ssMaroX XBOX LIVE
02 SOMSS-M6-,Volant CAI,TR55's,UMI LCA'S and PHR, Longtubes & TD's w/ sweet thunder bullets 315-35/17's. 349rwhp/372rwtq

Last edited by SuperSweet; 05-20-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: cant spell
SuperSweet is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech