Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #26
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
I just dont understand the need to drive around with DR's all the time. I can see a spare set if you can do that, but to drive all the time in them?
I think that is what makes the Nitto such a great bargin if you're looking for more grip and the car sees allot of street driving. Better dry traction and fair tire life.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #27
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
I think that is what makes the Nitto such a great bargin if you're looking for more grip and the car sees allot of street driving. Better dry traction and fair tire life.
What kind do you recommend? I know there are a few different varietys.
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #28
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shownomercy View Post
What kind do you recommend? I know there are a few different varietys.

I run the 555 in the front (performance road) and 555R (drag radial ) in the rear. The other 2 tires Nitto offer the 555RII amd OPT1 are road course tires. Basically the same tire compound with a firmer side wall ( and tread pattern)

I have about 5,000 miles and 40 passes on my 555Rs. I can probably get one more year out of them, the fronts look like brand new! Car hadles fairly well, I have blistein shocks and SLP springs, no front sway bar.

I just bought a 2nd set of rims for the rear, I plan to replace the current Nitto DRs with another set for street use and go with MT DRs for track tires.

This is probably just my opion: But when I first put on the 9.0" SS rims/tires on I didn't like the way the car drove on the highway with te stock width front tires, the car always felt like it was moving around in the road grooves. So I went down in size on the fronts and the car tracks better and feels much more stable to me now.

(again, I have 9.0" SS rims, some of the aftermarket SS rims are 9.5 ).

Front = 245/45/17 - Nitto 555

Rear = 275/45/17 - Nitto 555R
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #29
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
I run the 555 in the front (performance road) and 555R (drag radial ) in the rear. The other 2 tires Nitto offer the 555RII amd OPT1 are road course tires. Basically the same tire compound with a firmer side wall ( and tread pattern)

I have about 5,000 miles and 40 passes on my 555Rs. I can probably get one more year out of them, the fronts look like brand new! Car hadles fairly well, I have blistein shocks and SLP springs, no front sway bar.

I just bought a 2nd set of rims for the rear, I plan to replace the current Nitto DRs with another set for street use and go with MT DRs for track tires.

This is probably just my opion: But when I first put on the 9.0" SS rims/tires on I didn't like the way the car drove on the highway with te stock width front tires, the car always felt like it was moving around in the road grooves. So I went down in size on the fronts and the car tracks better and feels much more stable to me now.

(again, I have 9.0" SS rims, some of the aftermarket SS rims are 9.5 ).

Front = 245/45/17 - Nitto 555

Rear = 275/45/17 - Nitto 555R
i have always felt the same way, though i am running different widths. did it really seem like a size down helped? i thought it was how the cars drove
Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 PM   #30
LTb1ow
Mongo the Meet Coordinator

I think mine are 9.5s are around. And I just figured that it pulling was my shotty tires...
LTb1ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #31
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
i have always felt the same way, though i am running different widths. did it really seem like a size down helped? i thought it was how the cars drove
Car originally had 275's all the way around, the 245's in my opinion did make a difference.

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #32
BonzoHansen
Admin.

The wider the front tire the more it will 'track'.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #33
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

i see, thanks guys.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech