Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
transmaro93

wheels studs?? race car guys come on in

ok so i test fit my big and littles today to measure how long of studs i need. Now im still on the stock stud size of 12x1.5 thread width, which i think is fine for my power range. im going to need to go longer in the front which i already know (2.5" for the fronts) but my question is about the rears. I have a strange 12 bolt and they must put longer studs in to begin with because they stick out much longer than the fronts when the wheels are on. Now the stud width is roughly 1/2 inch and im only showing just a scouch above 3/8's of an inch that will enter the hexed portion of the lug. Will this be sufficient or do i have to get longer studs for the extra 1/8 inch? Keep in mind in the rear i will be using a 3/4" shank lug as opposed to the 1/2" the front requires. here is a pic with the wheel tightened down with one lug removed, but will the washer on to show how much thread enters the hexed portion.

tell me what you think... sorry for the novel i wrote hah
Old 07-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Mark68

Usually the way this is figured is you need at least the diameter of the stud seeing threads. This means that for a 1/2" stud, you want 1/2" seeing threads. With the extra length that the shank lugs will give you, you should be good to go.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Pampered-Z
Sliderule / Moderator

You need longer studs. You canprobably get away with themsticking out a bit, but not sticking out is going to fail tech.
93Z M6 Black: The 385 Lives! Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, GTP heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback/spintech, S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!
Pampered-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Flippindabird

i like your rims, i was just looking at them for sale on another site and then i saw them here, got any pics of the whole car?? sorry this is off topic
Flippindabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showpos...&postcount=555

wheels mounted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampered-Z View Post
You need longer studs. You canprobably get away with themsticking out a bit, but not sticking out is going to fail tech.
it doesn't need to stick out. it needs to enter the hex portion of the lug nut the diameter of the stud. if the hex portion is an inch long on a 1/2" stud, it certainly doesn't need to be sticking out.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showpos...&postcount=555

wheels mounted

it doesn't need to stick out. it needs to enter the hex portion of the lug nut the diameter of the stud. if the hex portion is an inch long on a 1/2" stud, it certainly doesn't need to be sticking out.
I agree with the above regarding, that was my understanding as well. I pass tech with my studs and they don't stick out. BUt they are 12 mm in the front and they fill the shank portion of the lug by 12 mm.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Brake, Chassis and Suspension Tech