Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Classified Forums > Classifieds Forums > For Sale - Vehicles

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
91chevywt

'79 Z28 Feeler, LT1/700r4 - NO LONGER FOR SALE

I'll just start off by saying i'm not 100% sure if I want to do this. Right now, I've still got plenty of stuff to drive, and I sort-of like this car, but I don't really need it. Heres the story:
I bought the car in '06, my senior year in HS, with about 70k miles. I wanted something cool to cruise around in. It had a pretty nice 350 in it. When I learned a few more things about cars I figured out the motor was basically wasted, making a max of 85 psi in each cylinder, and a low of 65 psi. So, a new motor was in order (it wasn't the original motor anyway). I picked up an iron headed LT1, 700r4, Wiring harness, and ECM from a '93 z28. The motor had iron heads since it was swapped into the vehicle at one time I'm guessing because the original motor was wasted. It was from one of the Impala SS cars. Well, anyway, I ended up doing a total rebuild. Actually, I had the machinist assemble the short block and recondition the heads, and I took it from there. I have almost 4k in reciepts for this car. Here's a breakdown of what it has done, I may have left something out so I might come back and edit this
LT1 350, Iron Heads
Block was decked .010"
Main bearings align honed
Jet washed
New cam bearings
new main bearings
New rod bearings
Arp rod studs
Speed Pro pistons (Forged)
Cylinders bored .030"
New roller cam and timing set (Crane 227)
Crank cut .010"
new Freeze plugs
Heads resurfaced .010"
Valves Cut
Heads jet washed
All new gaskets ($$$ for an LT1 )
Canton Racing pan
10.8:1 Compression calculated
-The engine has maybe 100 miles on it, and it runs great on a stock tune, but it would definetly benefit from a custom chip. Have no problems with it.
-The 700r4 shifts great, with likely over 100k miles on it. I replaced the filter, front seal, and rear seal. When I pulled the pan it was very clean, and the fluid remains bright red. Definetly has a lot of life left in it.
-The rear has 4.10 gears, and they seem to be in good order. No noises. With those gears, it makes such a huge difference with overdrive.
-When i had the car on a lift, i noticed one of the rear frame rails was rusted out, so I welded a new section in place. All my work can be seen in the link below.

I am still planning on driving this basically every day during the summer, and I'm not desperate to get rid of it. Right now the car has almost 72k, and it drives pretty good. It's not perfect. But in my opinion, it is a looker. All the flaws can basically be seen in the thread below.

The way I am thinking, I could probably use something a little more economical or sensible since I'm going to be going sorta far away for college. I know I have to post a price, so I'm going to say $8000 at the moment.

Also, I will take suggestions on price. If i don't feel I'd get enough to get what I want, i'd probably keep it.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showth...winter+project

There are a lot more pictures there, and it pretty much details the process. Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by 91chevywt; 03-30-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
BonzoHansen
Admin.

Man, that is a lot of work you just did to turn & sell it. Maybe a nice cheap daily beater is needed?

Post is on NastyZ if you didn't already.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
maroman88
12 Second Club

wow sooo thats what the front... and back, of an LT1 looks like
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
91chevywt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Man, that is a lot of work you just did to turn & sell it. Maybe a nice cheap daily beater is needed?

Post is on NastyZ if you didn't already.
Yea, I didn't really build it to flip it, more to make it last. It was a good experience though. I just haven't gotten that "attachment" to it like I have with my pickup

I'm not so sure about a cheapo car yet...it would probably be in my best interest to replace it with something stone reliable. A bone stock ls1 car would be great
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
emolineaux

hey bill before you go and really sell that nice car i can let you take my 98 out for a drive to make sure you even like driving the ls1 cars more than your 79 (well if you havent already)

Last edited by emolineaux; 03-31-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
91chevywt

That would be pretty cool, I'm not really dead set on it, i just thought i would put it up for some opinions, and if the right offer came by I would probably let it go
Old 04-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
91chevywt

Through further thinking, I've decided to keep this car. Mods can close this thread if desired, or just let it die.

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Classified Forums > Classifieds Forums > For Sale - Vehicles