Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning

Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #26
Mark42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
nice work.....will look great tucked up to the bumper a little higher too...
Raised the tail pipes a little, as best as I could with the existing hangers. Bought two new rubber hangers today. Plan to put the new hangers in the front lowering the front about 3/4", then put the shorter Magnaflow hangers in the rear, which will raise the tips some more. That should get it level and as close to the body as you want a hot pipe.

Also plan to cut off about 2.5 - 3" of the tail pipes. I want it to have more of a "tucked in" look. That would be more factory looking, and no so "look at me" sticking out.

Thinking of cutting it off, baloney slice style, right where that water drip mark is on the drivers side pipe below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrrmike View Post
ever think of investing in a higher quality jack? you seem to be getting into some decent projects and might want to upgrade some of your equipment as well
Yeah, my jack is old, and has started leaking out the pump piston seal. It has served me many years, but it might be time for a new one.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects
: Click Here

Last edited by Mark42; 02-28-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Mark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #27
BonzoHansen
Admin.

That will look good cut off.

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand. Or so I have read.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold. I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors.

Hey everybody, it's good to have you on the Baba-too-da-ba-too-ba-ba-buh-doo-ga-ga-bop-a-dop
BonzoHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #28
JL8Jeff
Hippy Mod, Bergermeister Meisterberger, Moderator

Slash cut the rear tips and it will look good. I personally don't like the 3" tailpipes on these cars since they don't really add any extra power, they just look too big. And my Random Tech cat-back has the 3" tailpipes as well but has the slash cut tips and they tuck further under so it's not quite as noticable but they still look too big.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #29
Mark42

Cut the pipes short today. Took a full 4" off the end. Kept the same slash cut angle they had.

Also made a pair of fiberglass packed resonators to slip in the pipes because the exhaust was just too loud for me, especially at cruising speeds.

All put together. Really pleased how the tips just peek out a little, and the rubber hanger were switched around like I mentioned earlier, so the tips are higher.

And from a distance, down hill so you can see it from a lower perspective.

So I fire it up, and at first was annoyed that the resonators did nothing, but to my surprise, when I went for a drive, the volume is lower in the cabin at cruising speeds, but at low speeds, the same low growl is there. So I ended up with the best of both worlds. And when winding up the motor, it doesn't have the rasp it was getting before. So I'm happy.

1998 Firebird Coupe
Mods: 3.73 Gears, Eaton TrueTrac, PCM Tune, LS1 Aluminum Drive Shaft, Cold Air Intake, 180 Thermostat, Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust, Moog LCA busings.

My Firebird Projects

Old 03-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #30
sweetbmxrider
Meet Coordinator

Mark, how do you keep such a youthful complexion?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #31
Jersey Mike
Power Member/NJFBOA Bookie/Moderator

Social Networks:

Mark-
I'm looking for ways to make my magnaflow louder but the work and car look very clean. Glad you're happy with the final result

Last edited by Jersey Mike; 03-06-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Jersey Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #32
Mark42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post

Mark, how do you keep such a youthful complexion?

LOL! Its in the genes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Mike View Post
Mark-
I'm looking for ways to make my magnaflow louder but the work and car look very clean. Glad you're happy with the final result
Louder.... oh thats a tough one with this exhaust design. How about replacing the muffler with a Y pipe? That should crank up the volume a bit.

1998 Firebird Coupe

My Firebird Projects

Old 03-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #33
maroman88
12 Second Club

looks nice...

i had a magnaflow on my LT1 and it sounded good and fit ok.... went with the loud mouth 1 on my LS1 TA and never looked back tho.... for the vette i went with a knock off borla system by OBX and it sounds good but fits like freaking CRAP!
97 Trans Am WS6
98 Blazer ZR2
00 Corvette
04 CTS-V
07 Sublime Charger Daytona
10 Tahoe SSV
12 Tahoe LT
17 Malibu LT
maroman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #34
Blacdout96

sssssoooooo much better having 4in. taken off, I hate tips that stick otu farther then necessary. how did you brace the home made glass packs in your pipes, did you use resin, or is there steel shim to hold them in place?

EDIT: read your article on how you did it, nice job, original though building that

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
Uh yeah, after they surprized buttsecks us at Pearl Harbor?

Last edited by Blacdout96; 03-12-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Blacdout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:02 AM   #35
NjbadSS

Looks much better with the tips cut back, as I read the thread, I thought to myself...Those stick out a tad bit to far. Nice job!

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Engine / Power / Tuning