Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar
Go Back   NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance

Notices

View Poll Results: What color primer should Predator86 use for his hood?
Red 5 29.41%
Black 4 23.53%
Keep it white and unpainted 3 17.65%
I'm sorry who are you again? 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Predator86

Primer Suggestions

Hey guys

So ive had this ws6 style hood for awhile now and im getting a little tired of it being white... now i plan on having the entire car painted but its gonna be awhile cuz ive come into some hard times and school just started so i have no time to work.

Im thinking of primering it for the time being but i dont know anything about body work...NOTHING! So is there anything special i need to know to do this? Any brand you guys would suggest,do i use the rattle can kind or the spray guns.

And lastly what color should i do it do u think red or black...i wanna do red but it would look kinda crappy because i dont think i can even come close to matching the reds darkness.....red primers very light colored am i corect or do they make a darker type.

thanks

8/26/07 Just reached 160K and running great!
1/15/09 Just reached 180K and still running great!
Predator86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

If U R planning on a new paint job later on, I'd just leave it. Ya ain't gonna get good results w/ a spray bomb, and if yer gonna go through all the hoopla of painting the hood w/ a gun, you might as well shoot the whole car.

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Predator86

i get what your saying and i agree..im just sick of looking at this white fiberglass and its gonna be a loooooooong time....plus i dont have the skill or patience to do an entire car

Old 09-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
unstable bob gable
American Road Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator86 View Post
i get what your saying and i agree..im just sick of looking at this white fiberglass and its gonna be a loooooooong time....plus i dont have the skill or patience to do an entire car
Then I guess the best thing to do would be some flat black spray bomb primer. It could be made to look "ok." Just git 'r done before the weather gets too cold!

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T: Gran'pa lookin' 150+ mph turbo rocket.

2013 Dodge Avenger RT: Wastelands cruiser.

2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor: 'Nuff said!

THE ONLY THING THAT SUCKS WORSE THEN IMPORTS ARE RICED OUT IMPORTS!!!
unstable bob gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
Predator86

true...ok thanks for everyones opinion...im still gonna way the pros and cons and we'll see

Last edited by Predator86; 09-23-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
SpeedMetalT/A

I would go with the black primer UBG is right though do it before it gets cold.I've painted things when it's cold out and it orange peeled and I had to sand it down and re-shoot it.
SpeedMetalT/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:30 AM   #7
band77one
15 Second Club

i have a red chevy silverado and i primed it red before i put it on there, and it didnt look bad at all
band77one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
Predator86

Ya im prolly gonna do it just for a change of pace....my only issue is if i should take it off the hinges or not....because doing that cowl type area right by the windsheild will not be an easy task for me...its a little too close....but then again i dont really feel like taking it off so ehh

Old 09-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

If you are going to do it, do it right. Take the hood off and spray it on sawhorses or something like that.
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
Predator86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
If you are going to do it, do it right. Take the hood off and spray it on sawhorses or something like that.
o ya i will definetley if i decide too...i might even pay a friend to do it for me just because my ocd kicks in like a mother when i try to do stuff like this...one of the reasons i hate body work

Old 09-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
WildBillyT
Ayatollah of Rock N Rolla / Admin

Quote:
o ya i will definetley if i decide too...i might even pay a friend to do it for me just because my ocd kicks in like a mother when i try to do stuff like this...one of the reasons i hate body work
Yeah, in my opinion you either "got it" or "don't got it" as far as laying down good paint. I, for one, definetly "don't got it".
WildBillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #12
camaro2you

You might be able to get a body shop to spray it cheap for you, if you were to go out and buy a cheap gun $40, primer $20, thinner $15, 300 grit $6, block $10, its going to be cheaper to see if you can get a shop to spray it for 30 or 40 bucks.
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #13
Predator86

all very good suggestions.....whenever comes to cosmetics i can never make a desicion but i will do some research and see if i can either get it done cheap or just bite the bullet myself

Old 09-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #14
mtnhopper1

I'd just leave it. If you're planning to do the whole car eventually, chances are good that whatever you do to the hood with a rattle can will make getting it painted more expensive, or worse, make the paint job turn out poorly due to improper prep of the fiberglass, etc.

I'd just suck it up and let the pros do it when you can afford to. Whether you leave it white or paint it with rattle can primer, it's still not going to match the car, so why bother IMHO.
Heartbeat City
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
I'm a dick, you're a dick, we're all a bunch of dicks!!!
mtnhopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #15
Predator86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhopper1 View Post
I'd just leave it. If you're planning to do the whole car eventually, chances are good that whatever you do to the hood with a rattle can will make getting it painted more expensive, or worse, make the paint job turn out poorly due to improper prep of the fiberglass, etc.

I'd just suck it up and let the pros do it when you can afford to. Whether you leave it white or paint it with rattle can primer, it's still not going to match the car, so why bother IMHO.
i just wanted it black cuz i thought it would have looked better for the time being....but now i know how involved just primering the caris gonna be its gonna affect my decision....cuz like i said before bodywork just isnt for me...even the simplest things...i plan on learning some stuff in the future but not right now

Old 09-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #16
mtnhopper1

Quote:
all very good suggestions.....whenever comes to cosmetics i can never make a desicion but i will do some research and see if i can either get it done cheap or just bite the bullet myself
If you're not too worried about the finish, and you're feeling adventurous, you could have at it yourself. I've done passable touch-ups on my daily drivers with rattle can lacquer (back when you could get it) and a poly clear. I did about 2 coats of color and about 4 thick coats of poly clear, then wet sanded the crap out of it with 800 grit, 1000 grit and 3000 grit to get rid of the imperfections. After I hit it with the buffer it turned out pretty good. Not perfect, but passable.

I'd be careful to prep the 'glass properly. I've never really worked with it, but I hear it requires some extra attention.

In hindsight, for the time and money i spent doing it that way, I probably could have taken it up to a shop to get it done. Back then my time wasn't worth much, tho.
Heartbeat City
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
I'm a dick, you're a dick, we're all a bunch of dicks!!!
mtnhopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #17
Predator86

i get anal about that stuff...if there is a slight inperfection on it, it will drive me nuts! but this gelcoated fiberglass gets so dirty and is almost uncleanable (thankfully that dosent show up on pictures) so its kinda like choosing the lesser of 2 evils...

1. filthy white hood
2.poorly finished black/red hood

Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 PM   #18
camaro2you

How far are you from turnersville 08012?
camaro2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #19
Predator86

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2you View Post
How far are you from turnersville 08012?
probably too far because ive never heard of that...and thats in south jersey and Im in middlesex in Central Jersey

NJFBOA - Home of New Jersey's Camaros and Firebirds > Tech Forums > Appearance